• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

~ Classical Music Appreciation Thread ~

DigitalMethod

Content. Content?
MBTI Type
INTJ
I like Vivaldi... specifically the four seasons.
But these few songs are from echochrome, a PSP game, they have become my favorites nowadays. Composed by Hideki Sakamoto.

[YOUTUBE="sigq3AlsbTU"]Prime 2[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE="HVL90YM8rL8"]Prime 5[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE="AvDfMZNXmro"]Prime 7[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE="dS1R7tP9anY"]Prime 919[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE="qxthSJ9zYU0"]9973[/YOUTUBE]

heart

heart on fire
More Baroque really, but wonderful.

Anyone who enjoys Vivaldi's Four Seasons, especially "Summer" will likely enjoy this very much. Dedicated to the architectural works of Pallido

[YOUTUBE="9sluHJGcxek"]Pallidio[/YOUTUBE]

A version with Mandolins:

[YOUTUBE="w9wmaHQbm_c"]Pallidio--Karl Jenkins[/YOUTUBE]

For comparison:

[YOUTUBE="yY2Ugpst9VY"]Summer[/YOUTUBE]

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
[youtube="ifKKlhYF53w"]One of my favorite Rachmaninoff pieces, plus humor[/youtube]

heart

heart on fire
That is funny, Ivy. :)

[YOUTUBE="kbZYzoidkYU"]This is the one I was trying to find this morning.[/YOUTUBE]

deleted
Seriously don't post Palladio. That is one of the worst and cheesiest orchestral pieces known to existence. Please open your musical mind a little wider.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I like Palladio but I think the diamond people kind of ruined it.

heart

heart on fire
I like Palladio but I think the diamond people kind of ruined it.

It is a very different experience to listen to the whole piece as it is meant to be heard than to just hear the ending all alone, I think.

Seriously don't post Palladio. That is one of the worst and cheesiest orchestral pieces known to existence. Please open your musical mind a little wider.

Suppose for a moment, just to humor me, that I listen to what I like and I like what I like based not on impressing Mr. lemon but on pleasing myself? And good grief, what an arrogant assumption to think that just because I like a piece you have deemed unworthy that I don't listen to wider variety of music. :rolleyes:

I mean it's totally fair for you to say that you don't like the piece or that you think it is cheesey. It's another thing entirely to think it's your place to tell me what I may and may not post in the thread and then to say that I need to widen my musical mind.

Anonymous

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
:laugh: Ivy, that was awesome.

I'm a fan of Rostropovich, myself:

[youtube=LU_QR_FTt3E]Prelude from Bach's Cello Suite No. 1[/youtube]

[youtube=sSheWcRGbF0]Bach Cello Suite 2 I. Prelude[/youtube]

Samvega

Buddhist Misanthrope
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I have always liked Chopin Ballade No. 1 and I think Michelangeli does it better than anybody else I've heard though I won't admit to being a huge fan of classical music.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
DigitalMethod: That's some pretty good string quartet music. I tend to think lots of video game music doesn't get the recognition it deserves.

Tucson: Ah... great rendition of a piece I've been listening to alot recently.

For my pieces, let's get a little bit more menacing:

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-VjFKLCKwM"]Chopin Etude Opus 10 No. 12[/YOUTUBE]
I only hope to be that good one day!

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MiuM9_p_U8"]Holst - Mars[/YOUTUBE]
The entire Planets album is great, and the various pieces pretty much paved the way for film music decades later.

--- COMEDY OPTION ---

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcV19rylSZc"]Victor Borge - 4 Hands[/YOUTUBE]

<3 Victor Borge. So classy yet so silly.

DigitalMethod

Content. Content?
MBTI Type
INTJ
I'm a sucker for Mass Effect. Is this classical? I don't even know. Meh! Close enough.

[YOUTUBE="fINefilcmZw"]Vigil[/YOUTUBE]

deleted
It is a very different experience to listen to the whole piece as it is meant to be heard than to just hear the ending all alone, I think.

Suppose for a moment, just to humor me, that I listen to what I like and I like what I like based not on impressing Mr. lemon but on pleasing myself? And good grief, what an arrogant assumption to think that just because I like a piece you have deemed unworthy that I don't listen to wider variety of music. :rolleyes:

I mean it's totally fair for you to say that you don't like the piece or that you think it is cheesey. It's another thing entirely to think it's your place to tell me what I may and may not post in the thread and then to say that I need to widen my musical mind.

I'm just saying out of all the pieces you could have posted here, you posted Palladio. The other few pieces you posted were much better than that one. Widening your musical mind is a figure of speech.

deleted
For all of these I'm discounting manners in theory.

Classical

This is gold. Not exactly basic gold.

[YOUTUBE="3DmCI1EHQMg"]Beethovens 6th[/YOUTUBE]

Romaticism

A big win with Brahms. He could have ruled the the earth with his music if he wanted to.

[YOUTUBE="ZMzPkBti11s"]Poco Allegretto[/YOUTUBE]

Impressionism

Hard to decide between La Mer and Daybreak.

[YOUTUBE="mrOJcEHXYWM"]Ravel - Daybreak[/YOUTUBE]

Other mentions

This piece is beautiful in many ways.

[YOUTUBE="fmptWExyKEw"]Borodin - Polovtsian dances[/YOUTUBE]

This is simply epic.

[YOUTUBE="jq6tSNOYyXw"]Schumanns 3rd[/YOUTUBE]

Great ideas for an orchestral piece, seeing as though it is one of his only ones.

[YOUTUBE="Y-trKMKJ8c4"]Chopins 2nd Piano Concerto[/YOUTUBE]

Passionate.

[YOUTUBE="f1b-CoCT6zA"]Tchaikovsky - Romeo and Juliet Love Theme[/YOUTUBE]

Passionate. Redundo? I love the melody at the end of the first video.

[YOUTUBE="lzMGzBKRttU"]Tchaikovsky - 1812[/YOUTUBE]

heart

heart on fire
I'm just saying out of all the pieces you could have posted here, you posted Palladio.

Forgive me, o great one.

The other few pieces you posted were much better than that one.

Golly gee, thank you for the approval. I base my whole enjoyment of music on the hopes that someone else will approve and think highly of me.

deleted
Forgive me, o great one.

Golly gee, thank you for the approval. I base my whole enjoyment of music on the hopes that someone else will approve and think highly of me.

Or posting it on here you might expect some to think highly of the music, nevertheless comment on it.

heart

heart on fire
Or posting it on here you might expect some to think highly of the music, nevertheless comment on it.

Yes, that's correct, but as I already explained, you didn't merely say you did or did not like the piece, you directed at me personally in a really presumptuous manner.

I had hoped the thread would illustrate what different types and people like, no matter how others view those pieces. Just a chance to learn more about each other. I didn't want the thread to be a place where people were judged on the basis of what they like or don't like.

Now that you've made your personally directed comment, maybe some won't feel so free to expose their tastes because they don't want to be judged for it. So I'm expressing how much I really don't appreciate you're having set that tone here.