• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Natasha Richardson

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4

Kangirl

I'm a star.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Oh no, really? It's being reported that she has died? The accident happened at the local ski resort here, so people are talking about it - apparently she initially refused medical treatment and even signed papers saying as much.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
the media are fucking around as usual. i hope she's not dead but some reports are saying she's brain dead and a few others are saying just minor swelling. brain injuries are usually not good news.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I always get mad when people think proper protective equipment doesn't 'look cool' or think they're immune to possible injury.

O

Oberon

I always get mad when people think proper protective equipment doesn't 'look cool' or think they're immune to possible injury.

Maybe they decide to accept the risk. A bad decision, perhaps, but theirs to make.

I've always been fond of the Richardson girls... Natasha and Joely. Maybe it's the movies they've been in.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
She was on a beginner trail. It's not like if you're taking a wrong turn, you're heading over a cliff.

I've heard she's brain dead and they're taking her off life support.

Kangirl

I'm a star.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Apparently she was at the *bottom* of a beginner run! It just seems, so far, like some kind of really tragic freak accident. The mountain she was on is anything but hardcore - it's not even really a mountain.

O

Oberon

Word just hit the web that Natasha Richardson has died from her injury.

I don't know why, but I'm really quite sad about it.

Kangirl

I'm a star.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Yep, UK press is reporting it, too. How sad - so sudden. Her poor family.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
It looks like those reports were premature--she's been flown back to a New York hospital, but hasn't died. Nothing official about her condition has been released from her family.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
Word just hit the web that Natasha Richardson has died from her injury.

I don't know why, but I'm really quite sad about it.
i'm sad too because she's part of a family of actors that i respect and admire (vanessa redgrave is her mother, lynn redgrave aunt and her husband liam neeson) and will leaving behind a loving husband and two children which as a mother is one of my greatest fears. the aftermath for them is going to be very difficult especially since this was a freak accident.

i saw a documentary on hbo last year called coma about head traumas. it wasn't easy to watch but very informative. seems i am the only mother in our neighborhood making her kids wear helmets when they ride their bikes or scooters, but i'd rather that than visit them in the hospital or have to make a decision of removing them from a life support machine.

i wonder had natasha visited the er immediately following her injury, would she have suffered less damage? my son fell off his bed last month while jumping around like a goof and hit the front of his head off the bed. looking back now, should i have taken him to the er? i made sure he didn't go to bed right after (it was after dark) but I worried about him all night and woke up to check him several times during the night.

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
Apparently, she is/was the lead actress in "Gothic," one of my favorite movies (I have a bizarre weakness for artsy-fartsy "horror" movies); about twice a year, I get drunk and watch it, the last time only a couple of weeks ago. The movie is a fictionalized account about the famous night Lord Byron, the Shelly's (including Mary's whacked-out sister) and John Polidori got together, eventually leading to "Frankenstein" and "The Vampyre".

I hope reports of her death are highly exaggerated.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
anatasha_richardson_4_wenn2__oPt.jpg

Kangirl

I'm a star.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Incidents like this are so scary. Something that should be so minor - a bump on the head that didn't even cause abrasions, leads to death. It's trite, but it's true - life is so fragile.

i wonder had natasha visited the er immediately following her injury, would she have suffered less damage?

Yes, maybe, but only IF they had scanned her, which if she was still talking and saying she was feeling fine, they may not have. If she had been at the hospital when she began complaining of a headache, that would have been ideal. Time between injury and procedures to resolve the injury (which I'm assuming was bleeding on the brain) does matter - the longer you leave it, the smaller your chances are, in a general sense.

Jen - I would have taken my kid to the ER, but that's because I'm paranoid. I think most people would say for a minor head bump, just observe the kid closely for awhile afterwards. Any signs of sleepiness or confusion etc., and go to the ER.

speculative

Feelin' FiNe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Skiing is dangerous, moreso than people normally think of it as being. A kid on our school ski trip lost a kidney because his snowboard caught an edge of ice and he slammed to the ground. Then, there's always someone who hits a tree, etc. now and then, even when they're an experienced expert skier. (Wasn't there a Kennedy cousin or something whom this happened to?) I live near the largest ski area in the country, but I'm just not into it...