• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Twilight vs. Harry Potter

mysterio

MBTI Type
ENTP
In a recent interview Stephen King said, “Rowling and Meyer, they’re speaking directly to young people. The real difference is that Jo Rowling is a terrific writer, and Stephenie Meyer can’t write worth a darn. She’s not very good.” Ouch.

But I pretty much agree. I didn't make it past the 1st Twilight book. I could have easily put it down before I was halfway through, whereas I’ll be re-reading the Harry Potter books every several years for the rest of my life. It’s a much better series in every way than Twilight, destined to become a classic. Twilight is a fad. In a way it reminds me of Anne Rice’s novels, which are like romance stories with supernatural characters. The Twilight genre also owes a huge debt to Buffy, which is far superior to most of the pale imitations it has spawned.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
A.) I take it you have a vagina.

B.) I'm guessing you are a T.

C.) I read the entire Twilight Saga, and, yes, I enjoyed it, why? Because I have a soft spot for reading romance novels.

D.) You are right, Stephanie Meyer isn't the greatest writer, far from, but she created a pretty damn good "Knight", so to speak. If Edward did in fact exist, (and wasn't a vampire), I would fall head over heels in love with him.

E.) Disclaimer: I'm a sappy, romantic, idealistic F, so I am allowed to indulge in intellectually under-stimulating, romantic novels, sometimes, okay?!?!?!!!!

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I was a huge fan of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, too, especially the first two seasons.

The first season, I was all about Angel, and the second season I was all about Xander (sp?).

Giles was pretty fucking sexay, too.

Tiny Army

MBTI Type
EN?P
Enneagram
My brain sees this thread title as "stupid shit vs. other stupid shit."

mysterio

MBTI Type
ENTP
My brain sees this thread title as "stupid shit vs. other stupid shit."

Hey, it was my bold attempt to revive the Arts & Entertainment section. The only other ideas I had were doing either a Britney Spears vs. Hannah Montana or a Freddy vs. Jason thread.

zarc

MBTI Type
Zzzz
I agree with King.

I succumbed to reading the first book after some time because my sis had it. I forced myself to finish it and she couldn't stomach enough of the second to try further. Just not for us. I was especially stunned by the zeal the books generated. Horrified by the movie. Yea, succumbed to that too after months or so. My curiosity not only got the better of me but it broke my better sense.

I loved the HP universe but I think Rowling copped out in the end. I own nearly all Rice's novels, including the others by her pseudonyms. Her vampire series, though I enjoyed, was so grammatically atrocious. Was her editor cheering out, "RUN RICE, RUNNN!!"?! >_> IMO her erotica is better written.

Why would twilight owe a debt to Buffy? So many creative universes are similar in nature, who's to say who influenced whom was influenced by whom else? Oh, right, it was from everyone else who existed. Pretty huge debt. And everything is imitation anyway, so while I enjoyed Buffy, it could be inferior to the imitations before it. It was good but not brilliant. At least the series was better than the movie.

So, hmm. Really, to each their own.

CC, being T has nothing to do with the dislike for I am no T (neither my sis) yet could less than stomach a revolt.

CC said:
Giles was pretty fucking sexay, too.

Wouldn't it be fun to imagine a Giles Gone Wild video? Oh what oh what might he do!

Von Mittendorf

MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
Shoddily written fantasy for 12 year olds vs shoddily written horror for 16 year olds.

Whoever wins, we lose.

mysterio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Rice wrote erotica?

Even her novels could be considered part erotica. You definitely get the feeling that they were versions of her own fantasies. It’s not that hard to imagine her getting turned on by Lestat, as I'm sure plenty of his fans have.

zarc

MBTI Type
Zzzz
:drool:

I am ordering it tonight!!!

:hug:

You're the best, thanks!!!

Np. :hug:

Don't devour them too quickly! They should be savored. + She had another one...

mysterio said:
Even her novels could be considered part erotica. You definitely get the feeling that they were versions of her own fantasies. It’s not that hard to imagine her getting turned on by Lestat, as I'm sure plenty of his fans have.

Hmm. I think she'd view them as sensual creatures, not erotic. IIRC she was horrified and against fanfiction based on her Vampire world because people made the vampires sexual which went against her vision of them becoming sexless creatures. That and I think because she just didn't like it. Hm. I know she had them banned at one huge fanfiction site. Oh wells.

Lightyear

Gosh, you are all such snobs! I finally read "The Great Gatsby" recently which is a classic but didn't exactly keep me turning the pages while "Twilight" actually kept me engaged, I wanted to know what happens next. I liked the Twilight books, obviously a lot of other people enjoyed them too so that's a great achievment I think. And if Stephen King doesn't like them well than that's just his opinion, isn't it?

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Frankly, Rowling isn't that great a writer either--but she's not as bad as the chick that wrote the Twilight shit. I read a couple of chapters in a friend's copy. Not nearly as entrancing as Harry Potter, and it's supposed to be written for a higher age group. Seemed like vampire-Christian smut to me. "I wanted to have him so badly...but I knew that I had to wait until marriage!"

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I've never read any Rice. :/

Apparently, I am missing out.

Most female novelists I have read have been romance novelists.

Truth be told, I prefer male authors to female ones.

Though, to my misogynistically-inclined, writing preference's credit, I have read half a Jane Austen novel, The Bell Jar along with a couple of Sylvia Plath poems, Mrs. Dalloway, and a Virginia Woolfe short story or two, read some Edith Wharton, Elizabeth Wurtzel, Amy Hempel short stories, (she's actually quite awesome), and an awesome poem by Eula Bliss called "The Pain Scale".

Hmm, there was one other chick author whom I dug, she wrote the Awakening, or something to that effect, (can't exactly recall the title or the author's name), wherein which the main character killed herself in the end by walking into an ocean? I think there may be an S in her, (the author's), name, that, or my memory is shot and I'm smoking crack.

Sorry, this was a self-indulgent post, I just feel guilty for not reading or enjoying many female authors, because I love women, I really do :wub:!!!

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I hated The Great Gatsby!!!

Of all the classics I've read, hands down, it's my least favorite.

And, yeah, mother uck these haters!!!

The Twilight Saga rocked!!!

:D

Von Mittendorf

MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
I've never read any Rice. :/

Apparently, I am missing out.

You're really not.

You know how vampire stories all seem like boilerplate repetitions of the same tired "sensual" victorian-fetishist tropes? That's Anne Rice's fault. I mean, theoretically, it's the audience that made Anne Rice's dull, unoriginal, not-quite-erotica take on the vampire myth popular who are responsible for the endless train of imitators taking her tired gag and making it even more tired, but she wrote the damn books, so I blame her.

Apparently when she does vampire stuff from other cultures (Africa and India, specifically) it gets a little more interesting but the "Interview with the Vampire," "L'Estat" stuff is just... ehh

mysterio

MBTI Type
ENTP
A much better young adult series than Twilight is Holly Black’s Tithe series. That’s dark and edgy urban fantasy, and I promise you, it contains no Christian Right messages.

Twilight fans, if it works for you, that’s all that matters. People have different tastes and everyone to some extent views theirs as Truth. I don’t expect my opinions to form your reading list.

I seem to be the lone defender of Harry Potter so far. I wonder if his critics on this thread have actually read the books.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hmm, there was one other chick author whom I dug, she wrote the Awakening, or something to that effect, (can't exactly recall the title or the author's name), wherein which the main character killed herself in the end by walking into an ocean? I think there may be an S in her, (the author's), name, that, or my memory is shot and I'm smoking crack.

Kate Chopin.

I hope you give Anne Rice a try. I read all her books except the erotica.

Twilight -- I saw the movie and enjoyed it. I could not read past the 1st Harry Potter book and doubt if I could read the Twilight books either.