• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Fringe speculation thread

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
Who is watching the fringe? I find that show quite fascinating and anitcipating coming episodes.

mysterio

MBTI Type
ENTP
No one watches the Fringe?

Fringe (TV series) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Its showing the first 3 episodes in asia.

I need to catch up on the early episodes to become more fluent about the mythology. But I’ve seen enough to say that this is a better show - better acting, story, characters and dialogue - than either Dollhouse (so far) or that turkey Life on Mars (which might have better if someone like JJ Abrams had a hand in it).

TenebrousReflection

MBTI Type
INFp
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have been watching Fringe and consider it one of the best shows in a long time for holding my interest, but I don't have a lot to comment on about it other than to say I like the show a lot and hope it stays on the air long enough to see all the plot lines and twists get developed over time. The pace of the unfolding story feels right to me, I just wish I didnt have to wait so long between new episodes (one of the benefits of waiting til a season is out on DVD, but fringe is too good to wait for that :)).

And if you want to catch up on recent episodes, they seem to be keeping the 10 or so most recent episodes up on Hulu which is good if you only missed a recent episode, but would be disapointing if you wanted to watch from the beginning.

mysterio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Any of the other 2 or 3 Fringe fans here miss recording the last 5 minutes last night because of the American Idol screw up? American Idol sucks btw, I hate that goddamn show.

Anyway I found out that Olivia circumvented the CIA spook and had the boy taken to a foster home. It closes with the boy looking out the window and seeing the Observer.

Wade Wilson

MBTI Type
INTP
So, I can't help but wonder if Walter is off to get some of his memories back?

I've also heard rumors that Peter might be from the 'other' dimension.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Watched two episodes of fringe. Looks like the whole run is on netflix now. I'll post more when I'm not on cell. I'm committed to sticking it out for season 1 but so far I'm kind of indifferent. I don't think the writing is as tight as Lost or X-files, nor do I find the leads charismatic. Its kind of a procedural without much dramatic arc at the moment, but I'm willing to give it more time.

I'll say I think john noble is decent. I'd only seen him play Denethor, and as a routine ahole, but here he definitely showed he can act.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Watched two episodes of fringe. Looks like the whole run is on netflix now. I'll post more when I'm not on cell. I'm committed to sticking it out for season 1 but so far I'm kind of indifferent. I don't think the writing is as tight as Lost or X-files, nor do I find the leads charismatic. Its kind of a procedural without much dramatic arc at the moment, but I'm willing to give it more time.

I'll say I think john noble is decent. I'd only seen him play Denethor, and as a routine ahole, but here he definitely showed he can act.

jennifer! YOU'VE GOT TO. it's awesome.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
jennifer! YOU'VE GOT TO. it's awesome.

Only 98 episodes to go! (doh)
Which is about, uh... 98 x 50/60 = 82 hours.

Hours at work: 42.5
Hours to drive home: 1.66
Hours left: Around 124

Yeah, I could finish this by next Monday. Sleep? Who needs it!

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

yep it takes commitment but i believe in you jennifer! you got this!

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
yep it takes commitment but i believe in you jennifer! you got this!

We'll see. So far I'm not necessarily "drawn" to it, it's just kind of interesting. Not much intensity of interest, though. That is the problem, when you're facing "100 episodes".

The Walter/Peter rapport is (imo) super endearing, as it progresses- it's really well done.

Yes, I can see hints of that in just the first two episodes. Peter finds his dad rather annoying but there's also some kind of concern there too, visible underneath the annoyance, and he looks out for him. It makes you think one reason Peter stopped seeing his dad and did not want to see him is because he knew he would want to help him and take care of him if he did get involved, and he was trying to avoid that.

As far as the pilot goes: I thought the plane event and the translucent man (Scott) were pretty cool, effects-wise. As was whassername's robot arm.

I'm okay with Olivia being kind of flat-voiced and not overly emotive, because it makes her seem like a real, average woman and not some TV star.

But the only memorable thing to me was the twist at the end of the episode, it's what made the episode interesting and if they had missed that, the whole thing would have been kind of flat.

Can I also say how much I hate those superimposed location titles as well? Talk about jerking me out of the show, it's like, "Ohhhhh, loooooook, fancy title cards! Look at what we can do!" Really, they are very distracting and break immersion. Maybe they were trying to brand their show with them, but I think it's a backfiring gimmick.

Right now, I feel more like it's really an 80's cop show with some fantasic elements to it (in terms of style, characterization, etc.) or maybe on the level of Sliders -- the characterization so far hasn't gone very deep in the way that Lost did, the dialogue is sufficient but nothing spectacular, the acting is sufficient but not really nuanced like the Breaking Bad cast. It has more in common with a procedural cop show, not a hardcore drama, and those shows tend to bore me. We have the token main character, the voice of reason/sensibility, and then the quirky eccentric but brilliant guy...

I mean, I'm not trying to trash the show and maybe it gets better once they find their stride, but right now it's just kind of ... there, for me.

I found Episode 2 pretty predictable, even the ending, with the only really "cool" aspect being the unexpected frantic pregnancy + the dead old guy with the umbilical cord. It seems to run on shock value at the moment ("Oh, bet you've never seen this before. Voila!")

I know the show is called "Fringe," but the "science" is TOO much of a joke at the moment, really "fringe" to the point of "No freaking way." In X-Files, at least the science wasn't overexplained (so leads one to note all the flaws) or Scully presented a balanced skeptical view and it was never clarified how things worked.

But (if you continue to watch) I'd be interested in hearing if a couple of the Observers hit you in the feels as well- as a relatively NFish e5 (you seem like an NFish NT to me).

Gasp! Oh come on, you are going to ruin my streetcred!

There's something about this show which directly pokes the NF e5 in me. I may show up in your blog at some point (if I remember) and ask how far you got, with watching. :cheese:

So far, not much has hit the feels for me, in fact it's not registering at all aside from a few twinges from Peter and Walter... which will become probably a "sweet" relationship but not something with as much intensity as usually draws me.

About the only thing that really gave me a great sense of Olivia happened in the first few minutes, when Agent Scott tells her he loves her, then they talk about it at the storage place and she admits she wanted to say it too, yet didn't... and yet she still never quite comes out and says it! It tells me that she is very guarded about moments of emotional spontaneity, and in that moment I found her interesting, but the rest has been rather predictable.

If you look at the dramas that really resonate with me and leave me feeling things, well, they're a lot more nuanced and intense. Even "Hannibal" leaves me feeling more at the moment, because I can identify with Will and understand how confusing his world is, or with the girl. Or even the first season in AHS, I could understand and empathized with each member of the Harmon family and the emotions were very intense. I think I have a strong NF sense to me, but the SX thing resonates even more. I never got much out of the "surface level" dramas.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
no really...it's soooo good. you'll fall in mad like with the characters after a bit.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i may have to rewatch it.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
also you should chck out orange is the new black. its sooo good too.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
also you should chck out orange is the new black. its sooo good too.

I watched five episodes of that.

I like it and think the acting is well-done, but it just hasn't held me yet. That's the odd part. I wouldn't say it's bad at all, but... I'm having trouble getting through it. I will probably force myself to watch the last 7-8 episodes, just to say I finished it.

EDIT: For point of reference, I found it easier to get through "House of Cards" once I really started watching. I think they were both well-done, but I guess I like having a kind of complex plot + goal / overlying reason to generate plot. The other show so far is, "Oh, let's watch all these people interact until she finally gets out of jail and then it'll be over."

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
I got all excited when I saw the title "The Fringe speculation thread," thinking that would be the ultimate fun.

Then I saw that it was a TV show. :(

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

New Netflix Gas Lets Users Inhale Multiple Seasons Of TV Shows (It's kinda funny that they actually mention Fringe as the example.)

Can I also say how much I hate those superimposed location titles as well? Talk about jerking me out of the show, it's like, "Ohhhhh, loooooook, fancy title cards! Look at what we can do!" Really, they are very distracting and break immersion. Maybe they were trying to brand their show with them, but I think it's a backfiring gimmick.

Ha. I can remember thinking the same thing, the superimposed titles were a distraction. It's like they were borrowing a little too much from LOST, and when things are blatantly co-opted from other really popular shows like that it's almost embarrassing to watch (and it's often a sign that a show is going to suck and not last long).

Honestly, the first season didn't do a whole lot for me. I stopped after a few episodes and only started watching again when Netflix started showing it. Then the Walter/Peter (and maybe even a bit Astrid) rapport started growing on me. I want to say that I think Sliders is an apt comparison where tech soundness/credibility is concerned- but I think the relationships between the characters does get a lot better.

The e5/feels happen more later, starting in the season 2 episode "August". I might post some thoughts about it later under spoilers. He (August) just seemed very much what it feels like (to me) to rely on Ti to sort through TOO MANY FEELINGS.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ha. I can remember thinking the same thing, the superimposed titles were a distraction. It's like they were borrowing a little too much from LOST, and when things are blatantly co-opted from other really popular shows like that it's almost embarrassing to watch (and it's often a sign that a show is going to suck and not last long).

I don't remember ever seeing that in Lost. It seemed like some gimmick someone made up for this show to try and be cool cuz it was different. In fact, I felt by their approach they were trying too much to "not be Lost." *shrug*

Honestly, the first season didn't do a whole lot for me. I stopped after a few episodes and only started watching again when Netflix started showing it. Then the Walter/Peter (and maybe even a bit Astrid) rapport started growing on me. I want to say that I think Sliders is an apt comparison where tech soundness/credibility is concerned- but I think the relationships between the characters does get a lot better.

The e5/feels happen more later, starting in the season 2 episode "August". I might post some thoughts about it later under spoilers. He (August) just seemed very much what it feels like (to me) to rely on Ti to sort through TOO MANY FEELINGS.

Oh, okay, cool. :) I mean, a basic road map is good. if things will get better, I can plod forward. I mean, it's not bad, but I would like to know I'll find a payoff.