• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

know any good rpg/open ended/strategy games for ps1 or 2?

Ulaes

loopy
MBTI Type
crak
Enneagram
sax
i mean games which have multiple possible endings. and its strength is in the storyline and the characters. much in the vien of final fantasy only more open ended.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Final Fantasy Tactics is excellent for this. Legend of Dragoon was a fun PS1 game that is a lot like the Final Fantasies. Kingdom Hearts is more action oriented, but it also has a similar style to the Final Fantasies. Also I haven't played Persona 3 or Persona 4, but they've both gotten high scores on metacritic, and I've heard a lot of good things about them.

As an aside, my favorite storytelling happens in Shadow of the Collossus even though there are no words and really only one main character. Ico is good in this respect as well.

Negative_

most of the games by Nippon Ichi and Gust Corporation (disgaea, ar tonelico, atelier iris, etc) have multiple endings, or multiple ways the story can unfold with 1 possible ending

star ocean "second story" & "end of time" have multiple endings although i havent played them.

chrono cross

deus ex, too

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
most of the games by Nippon Ichi and Gust Corporation (disgaea, ar tonelico, atelier iris, etc) have multiple endings, or multiple ways the story can unfold with 1 possible ending

star ocean "second story" & "end of time" have multiple endings although i havent played them.

chrono cross

deus ex, too

I quite liked Star Ocean: End of Time. Was fun and the crafting system was awesome. The story was pretty good, too.

Jeremy

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
i mean games which have multiple possible endings. and its strength is in the storyline and the characters. much in the vien of final fantasy only more open ended.

I'm glad you asked.

You will not regret buying this. It's for PS2 - came out in December, so it's pretty new. One of the best RPGs of all time (so far), in my opinion.

r0wo1

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Its hard to come by, but you can still find them on ebay, but the Shadow Hearts series is really good, I would look into it.

Ulaes

loopy
MBTI Type
crak
Enneagram
sax
thanks guys. ive been checking these out on google as ive read your posts. too bad i have exams going on, because i know if i buy a new game i wont be able to stop playing it for the life of me. ive been down that road before and ive learnt my lesson - sims2 left it mark on my final grades.

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together

It's almost a superior version of FFT, except you actually can progress through the story differently, whereas FFT is a lot more linear. Also: TO was originally made on the SNES and is what FFT was based upon. It's a really good game and it's really tough. I highly recommend it...except it's a bitch to buy.

Kora

MBTI Type
ENTP
All of the Suikodens are awesome (maybe IV not so much, though). I'd pick the III or the Tactics one.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's for the PC, but Troika's Arcanum is in my opinion the best open end RPG ever made.

The game is filled with bugs, but there's a fanmade patch online that deals with that all. The game itself, the storylines, the world, the interaction. Everything is just -so- good. And the graphics aren't too bad, play it for an hour or two and you won't notice it at all anymore. The game has many endings, many ways to play it. It's even possible (though not recommendable) to finish the game with only killing 3 things in the entire game. Ie. play passively. But don't try it unless you're familiar with it.

Then there's evil/good, Magic/tech and just about everything inbetween. Play as a lone gentleman gunslinger. Or a robed-up charismatic magician with his many followers spewing out balls of fire.

Totally worth a go, in my opinion. One of a kind. <3

Lacey

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm glad you asked.

You will not regret buying this. It's for PS2 - came out in December, so it's pretty new. One of the best RPGs of all time (so far), in my opinion.
YES! Buy this game. Persona 3 is also super duper amazing.

I think I'll just list some of my favorite RPGs... (Some of them aren't necessarily open-ended, but they're awesome.)

-Chrono Trigger
-Dark Cloud
-Earthbound
-the Fire Emblem series
-the Harvest Moon series. They're games about farming...don't hate it until you try it though! They're cutesy, but they're all really fun.
-Ogre Battle 64
-the Tales series (Tales of Symphonia = LOVE)

too bad i have exams going on, because i know if i buy a new game i wont be able to stop playing it for the life of me.
Oh man, I can totally relate. I took all my games home during spring break and left them there so I won't be distracted. RPGs are my crack.

Also: TO was originally made on the SNES and is what FFT was based upon. It's a really good game and it's really tough. I highly recommend it...except it's a bitch to buy.
That's what emulators are for. ;) Seriously, if any of you guys want to play old-school games without having to shell out $70+, download an emulator and ROMs. There are plenty of sites you can do this at, but coolrom.com is a good one to start with, I think.

EDIT: I just realized you were asking for PS 1/2 games. I didn't see that; I'm an idiot. Some of the ones I listed are, some of them aren't (but some of the ones that aren't can be played by emulators on your computer).

Also, if any of you get into emulators and ROMs, find Famicom Detective Club 2 and the translation patch. Trust me.

Last edited:

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together

It's almost a superior version of FFT, except you actually can progress through the story differently, whereas FFT is a lot more linear. Also: TO was originally made on the SNES and is what FFT was based upon. It's a really good game and it's really tough. I highly recommend it...except it's a bitch to buy.

That's one of those games that I keep meaning to get, but then I look at the price tag and think "maybe I should put it off and instead buy 2-4 other games for the same price." I'm not sure yet if I'm ever going to break down and actually get it.

deleted
-the Tales series (Tales of Symphonia = LOVE)

You have to have a big imagination for this one. The games are wonderful if you do. Hours x hours of fun.

Dark Cloud 2

Amazing fun. Only complaint is that there is too much gameplay and not enough character/story development. It's great when it happens though.

d_screen043.jpg

dd_screen033.jpg

dd_screen011.jpg

d_screen009.jpg

darkcloud2_screen006.jpg

darkchronicle_screen007.jpg

tenINsFJ

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w9
Baulders Gate II: Dark Alliance.. this game is for PS2 and is almost a replica of the RPG PC based game, Diablo II. Same concepts.. level up characters to get more skills, loot dead bodies, acquire better gear etc. AMMMMAZZZZINGGGG.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
That's what emulators are for. ;) Seriously, if any of you guys want to play old-school games without having to shell out $70+, download an emulator and ROMs. There are plenty of sites you can do this at, but coolrom.com is a good one to start with, I think.

EDIT: I just realized you were asking for PS 1/2 games. I didn't see that; I'm an idiot. Some of the ones I listed are, some of them aren't (but some of the ones that aren't can be played by emulators on your computer).

Also, if any of you get into emulators and ROMs, find Famicom Detective Club 2 and the translation patch. Trust me.

Shh!!! You don't want to get him in trouble with the law. That stuff's illegal, you don't just go out openly suggesting that kind of stuff on the public forum. Are you insane?

Anyway... like others have said, Final Fantasy is pretty good. I never played Kingdom Hearts, but it looked interesting.

Ulaes

loopy
MBTI Type
crak
Enneagram
sax
im salivating :drool: :drool: :drool:

i really want to get persona 3

im not predominatly fussed about open endings because they usually lack narrative, although they are great. i love character development, good scripting and choice based stories where you can decide the fate of your hero and you get to pick which girl/boy they "get", their alliance, etc. final fantasy is great with the story but you only have one path to go down and any deviance you choose is ultimately inconsiquential.
i wish these games were more customizable, because im always wanting to change a characters appearance and personality. this is probably why im so attracted to the sims.
if only there was a combination of RPG and sims that existed... one could put themselves in the story :drool:

You have to have a big imagination for this one.

why?

Oom

Your time is gonna come.
MBTI Type
IsfP
Enneagram
5w4
I'm just gonna name my favorites.

PS1
-Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (has 4 or 5 endings)
-Legend of Dragoon
-Final Fantasy 7
-Final Fantasy 9
-Final Fantasy Tactics
-Breath of Fire III
-Breath of Fire IV
-Tales of Destiny II
-Alundra

PS2
-Final Fantasy 10
-Castlevania: Lament of Innocence

Those are a few.