• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

WATCHMEN!

xx00oo00xx

MBTI Type
Ixxx
The only violence I had problems with were the alley and jail fight scenes. Just a little too over-the-top. Otherwise, I liked all the other violence and felt it had a place (as in, it sent a message).

I think that might be the problem others are having. Is the scenes that just weren't working well with the story overshadowed the ones that did.

Yes, I can see those particular scenes as appealing only to a shallow-minded blood lust and therefore cheapening the overall content of the movie. One image that comes to mind is the midget's henchman gets his hands cut off. There was no need to show it.

I think Dr. Manhattan had a damn fine blue noodle... what I perceived as a being that was "perfect" and reminiscent of Greek gods...Not necessarily because of the physique...more because it seems like his character had this heaviness about him...an exhaustion from having to constantly attend to the needs of mortals.)

I can see the first half. The second bit about the heaviness and exhaustion is interesting but pretty funny too if that's what they were really going for.:D

kuranes

MBTI Type
XNXP
I enjoyed it overall. I was not expecting anything profound from a comic book adaptation. I didn't think the movie was "too long", but then I never am bothered by this factor in a movie, if I'm enjoying myself. Au contraire, all you ADD types. ( I might draw the line at seeing Berlin Alexanderplatz all at once, or some of these other films I've heard about that are super long ) The sex was surprising but not objectionable to me.

mysterio

MBTI Type
ENTP
I wonder how Alan Moore feels about seeing his formerly cooler-than-shit Watchmen characters as action figures available at Toys R Us.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDDHHrt6l4w"]Saturday Morning Watchmen[/YOUTUBE]

ed111

MBTI Type
INTJ
fix'd

He didn't even want a film adaption to be released.

According to a friend of mine, he's now the leader of a cult and spends most of his time shagging lots of women, which, although that is great fun, is rather a waste of a talent

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
According to a friend of mine, he's now the leader of a cult and spends most of his time shagging lots of women, which, although that is great fun, is rather a waste of a talent

In some circles, shagging lots of women is considered a talent of its own.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In some circles, shagging lots of women is considered a talent of its own.

Can it really be considered a talent to convince lots of women to sleep with an individual? Assuming the majority of said women are stupid/insecure and/or more sexually open anyway.. I don't really see the need for a unique talent to meet the objective there at all.

Ha, I know I'm getting off-topic.. that has nothing to do with Watchmen.. I can't comment about that, nor can I read the rest of the thread.. I haven't gotten to see the movie version yet, and I hate hearing about specific scenes or watching trailers, etc. for any movie.

I read the graphic novel a few yrs back. I don't expect the film adaptation to be exactly like the comic. It's a different avenue of expression, so it's a given that it won't be expressed/impact the viewer precisely the same way the book has. I'll be seeing it this week at some point, so I'll read the rest of this thread then, I s'pose..

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
Can it really be considered a talent to convince lots of women to sleep with an individual? Assuming the majority of said women are stupid/insecure and/or more sexually open anyway.. I don't really see the need for a unique talent to meet the objective there at all.

Well yeah, if you put it THAT way... tricking an insecure idiot whore into sex isn't much of a talent...

ed111

MBTI Type
INTJ
lol where did your friend learn this from?

I'm not sure: he's an enfp and hits me with all kinds of random information.

However, what I would say is that he's a MASSIVE fan of Moore's work (he read the watchmen when he was ten) and is a veritable graphic novel anorak. I don't think he'd make that kind of stuff up about one of his heros :)

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I enjoyed the movie a lot. I guess all you guys who read the comic book were expecting more from it (though several of my friends thought it was an excellent adaptation). I don't tend to like graphic novels so I haven't read it, though I might seek it out now since I enjoyed the movie.

I found it very entertaining and somewhat thought-provoking (more than most movies anyway). I liked the way they portrayed Dr. Manhattan, nudity and all. I'm not afraid of a penis. Do you really think it's worth the inconsistency to his character to wear a token loincloth?

mysterio

MBTI Type
ENTP
I wonder how Alan Moore feels about seeing his formerly cooler-than-shit Watchmen characters as action figures available at Toys R Us.

There’s an Alan Moore action figure out now, too, free at McDonald’s with a Happy Meal. Poor guy.

Either you or your friend are full of it. A google search won’t turn up anything about Moore being in a cult, only the “cult-status” of himself and his work (though I don’t know about the shagging part…).

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Yes he gets beaten up and thrown out the window yet its out of context because it was to eliminate heroes based on the end rather than a reaction to his life, the film blurs the line since its accepted later on. In Australia its MA 15+ which should have been R 18+ which is a bit different.

Ethics behind the consequence of morality means unless a sequel happens there aren't any consequences and seems he gets off almost scott free for a supposed greater good. That to stop people self destructing you have to be destructive first and stop the objector along with, neutrality isn't an option. Its like saying peace is only achievable with an equal or greater amount of force than war to shock people into peace because there is a common target now and the best part is nobody needs to know. Hence morality behind the motive without the ethics means he uses his morality compass to convince his actions are good and that consequences are negligible to achieve some change and who isn't with me can smoke it only after the conflict and media footage of course.

I'm saying it in a convoluted way, still doesn't excuse it. I'm just saying its got excesses it didn't need, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

One of the primary things that I enjoyed about the movie (and the GN) was the moral ambiguity of the characters. The ethical message was not as heavy handed as it usually tends to be with comics-turned-movies.

And on a related note, I am so sick of hearing people complain about Manhattan's penis. For Christ's sake, grow up and get over it (Look, you all (those who complain about it) have forced me to use that phrase, which I hate). It's just part of human anatomy, and doesn't represent anything profane in and of itself.

mysterio

MBTI Type
ENTP
I enjoyed the movie a lot. I guess all you guys who read the comic book were expecting more from it

It’s a very good, almost great, movie – better than Dark Knight (which needs its deranged villains to prop it up). The main obstacle for the film is that Moore’s graphic novel is overrated. While it’s certainly among the best, it isn’t quite the unequaled, cutting edge masterpiece it’s frequently hailed as. I’m not saying that Watchmen is derivative, but Frank Miller’s Dark Knight Returns did come out slightly ahead of it and presented a similar portrait of an aging superhero as a dark, burned out vigilante whose glory days are behind him, and the same cynical, Dr. Strangelove-ish parodies of both the political left and right.

One review I read carped about the film deviating from the plot of the graphic novel at the end, using Dr. Manhatten as the fall guy instead of fake aliens. As if Moore’s version was so exceptional. Come on, a plot about the successful scheme of a left wing fanatic ex-superhero to prevent nuclear war and create a safer world by uniting the US and USSR with a fabricated alien invasion is somewhat less than visionary. Not to mention dated even in its time, regardless of whether or not Moore was being ironic. The cold war had already thawed when he wrote it, in the Gorbechev 80s of glasnost and perestroika, and the world beyond is hardly a safer place. Moore’s rehashing of the Nixon-Vietnam era only gives the background a certain staleness.

Watchmen is Alan Moore trying to be hip and avant-garde literary in the graphic novel arena – in other words, showing off. He’s an elitist. And let’s face it, a lot of hardcore fans read Watchmen because they heard how cool it was and wanted to be cool as shit themselves for having read it. The movie was doomed from the start among these kinds of fans because no matter how it turned out, it could only diminish the coolness of the graphic novel by popularizing it among the general audience, thereby making them almost desperate to maintain a clear distinction between the two.

L

Lasting_Pain

I heard that movie was an epic-fail!!!!! Strayed to far from the graphic novel. I am still on the edge about whether to see it now or wait for the rental, or even worse, the bootleg.