• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Secret Life of Bees

O

Oberon

Just saw this film featuring Dakota Fanning, Paul Bettany, Queen Latifah, and Alicia Keys. It's a very good piece of filmmaking... it's a hard movie to watch, but the acting is just excellent.

Has anyone else out there seen this one?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I haven't seen it, but it's written by Sue Monk Kidd, who wrote the excellent, "The Dance of the Dissident Daughter." I'd like to see it at some point.

^^^ The post that says nothing related to the OP.

....um, I like honey?

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
I saw it. Maybe a month ago. That Queen Latifah. She has some presence, doesn't she?

Yes, it called for some emotional energy to watch. People who have read the book say that the written version is superior.

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
I know that this is slightly off topic... (On the OP All I can say is that I have heard of the fil amd would love to see it as it looks amazing) But do people always find the book better than the film? DO you think that this is because a book has more time to delve into the plot and characters... Or is it a form of snobbery towards the art that is film?! Just curious? Has anyone ever seens a film that was better than the written version or at least did it justice?

O

Oberon

I saw it. Maybe a month ago. That Queen Latifah. She has some presence, doesn't she?

Yes, she does... she owned the screen.

But you know who else turned in a fantastic acting job? Paul Bettany as T. Ray.

His character was ignorant, violent, full of rage, impossible to live with, and the kindest words he had for his daughter in the whole movie were a soft, lifeless "Happy birthday."

And my heart just ached for him for the last third of the film.

Bettany played a South Carolina redneck so convincingly you'd never believe he was an Englishman.