• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Late Night with Conan O'Brien

Just another ISTJ

MBTI Type
IsTj
Enneagram
1w9
I will always remember the Masturbating Bear and his accompanying music. I'm guessing he won't be present on the Tonight Show.

The animals with guns bits were always amusing, along with the snobby European, the bar skits, and Triumph's bits.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Crap, I missed the final episode?! I must fix that.

I used to watch it all the time in college, back when Andy was on the show. The staring contests were classic, and I still remember how Andy finally beat Conan. Bringing out Conan's parents and having them strip was pure, disturbing genius.

theplacesyoullgo

I think I'm the only person who won't miss the Masturbating Bear.

Thought the final episode was underwhelming.

Sans Triumph, I thought the hands-down funniest bits were State Quarters and especially the "photo album" segments where Conan, Max, and Joel's heads were photoshopped onto the bodies of people in crazy situations. Does anyone else remember the latter? They seemed pretty rare.

I've been watching since eighth grade. Sad to see it no longer "Late Night with Conan O'Brien."

kuranes

MBTI Type
XNXP
He had some creative episodes but, on the whole, I thought he was more of a "nice guy" than someone who actually made me laugh much. That's how I think of Jay Leno, too, however. As far as mainstream comic "hosts" I think Ellen kicks both their asses so hard they should think about hanging it up. However, Conan can be witty when he wants to be. I saw him as a guest on someone else's show and he was waay better than he is on that "let's waste a half hour" schtick he does before his guests come on.

speculative

Feelin' FiNe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
"In the year 2000...."

I loved it when they took out the desk for a spin around town.

The Pelican Brief "Don't run there!" skit was classic.

"I'm going to turn... you out."

The grade-school drawings of the show were always good.

Also, I loved the audience interaction that they first had during year 1 of the show.

(Thanks for reminding me of the starting contests...)

I watched Conan nightly in the Richter years. After that, it became boring to me and I switched to Kilborn to see something new, then to Ferguson. They switched so abruptly between the two Craigs that I thought at first that Kilborn had died that day in an auto accident or something and needed to be replaced immediately. It was just strange...

To me, it makes no sense that they take what is old & stale at this point, and put it on closer to prime time as new and fresh. I actually like to see a decent amount of turnover in late night hosts, as it keeps a sort of entrepreneurial spirit in the comedy. Craig Kilborn left before his schtick got old for example. David Letterman's comedy has been old for about 15 years now. I think it's time for someone really off the wall to host the latter part of the evening with a whole new brand of humor..

TenebrousReflection

MBTI Type
INFp
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I like Conan, but I have not been keeping up on watching him (but I had heard about the move of timeslot and location)...

My favorite bits were Recliner of Rage (comfortable and furious!), The skits where he would watch stuff from their exclusive satelite (can't remember if it had a name, but those were some very funny skits - jarbarf, improper distances etc.), In the year 2000, Celebrity Secrets/confesions and the Frankenstein character.

Does anyone know if he will be bringing his crew from NY, or if he will be starting from scratch again? I can't see the show being the same quality without at least some of his existing team.

kuranes

MBTI Type
XNXP
They switched so abruptly between the two Craigs that I thought at first that Kilborn had died that day in an auto accident or something and needed to be replaced immediately. It was just strange...

To me, it makes no sense that they take what is old & stale at this point, and put it on closer to prime time as new and fresh. I actually like to see a decent amount of turnover in late night hosts, as it keeps a sort of entrepreneurial spirit in the comedy. Craig Kilborn left before his schtick got old for example. David Letterman's comedy has been old for about 15 years now. I think it's time for someone really off the wall to host the latter part of the evening with a whole new brand of humor..
Yeah, I thought it was strange the way they transitioned between Craigs , too. And sometimes the latter part of the Kilbourn show was sports coverage instead. Weird.

+1 on the other quoted opinion ( "To me, it makes no sense.." ) also.

SurlyAdam

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
I don't watch TV. If that's it for him, it's news to me. Can't say that I'll miss him...

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
I love Conan, I look forward to how he'll do the LA gig. I liked the recliner of rage and conan and max small talk moments best.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was very impressed when the show went back on the air during the writer's strike. It was probably the best I've seen him since the Andy days.

It proves to me the boy has natural talent, and makes me glad he is still around.