• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Console War

Which Video Game Console is King?

• Xbox 360

Votes: 12 41.4%
  • Playstation 3

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Nintendo Wii

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Screw those console's, im sticking with Duck Hunt

Votes: 7 24.1%

• Total voters

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
PC gaming is not even close to dying.

Steam, MMOs (not just WoW, think of all those Korean MMOs, even Runescape). The problem is that people only look at retail sales and conclude that consoles are overshadowing PCs. This isn't true. A huge amount of money is being spent online through subscriptions, downloaded games, the massive amount of revenue from casual games, and hardware sales aren't being counted at all.

This article covers it. Or this interview with Doug Lombardi.

PC gaming dying is a myth.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
As for consoles, I chose PS3. And if there's a game for either the Xbox 360 and the PS3 (but not the PC), I'll more likely get it on the PS3, partly because I want to get my money's worth for the system as a gaming console; I have something like 5 or 6 games for it. Although as a multimedia device, I feel I already got my money's worth. (Although I can't get the Blu-Ray discs to resume after I turn the system off, which you supposedly can do.)

In addition, the PS3 has a lower fail rate. No red lights to speak of (except when it's turned off).

I just wish the PS3 would get more good exclusive titles. I mean Killzone 2 looks good from a graphical standpoint (although it is no Crysis), but something tells me it will just be a post-apocalyptic incarnation of Call of Duty (Haha, I said "duty!"), so basically, it'll be an overused (and overrated) theme shoved into an overrated game.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
See for me, the PS3 get's shafted a lot. A good amount of earlier titles were poor ports compared to the X360, DLC is something that they get left out of for certain titles, like GTA and Fallout 3. Also Valve won't even touch the system, the have an EA sweatshop slop together a couple ports. It's a shame because if you could devote some good time and resources to the system you get great products, developers just don't.

callmemigs

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
In terms of a wide variety of games, I choose Xbox 360. When it comes to the coolest games in history, I choose PS3. But I still prefer Xbox 360. ONE THING is that the screen is adjustable 360 degrees that means you can rotate the screen into every nook and corner.

Wait, GTA 4 is Xbox 360 right? Yeah, that's second.

Clownmaster

EvanTheClown (ETC)
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
PC > All

But, for my 2 cents.
Xbox 360 ftw. I don't know much about PS3 so imma stay quiet on them.

Xbox live downloads > Wii downloads, the ability to connect to a computer and broadcast any movies to your TV directly.

Nintendo needs to get their head out of their ass and start going with the more adult-aimed games. Grand Theft Mario isn't coming out, and neither is a game where a disgruntled plumber riding a dinosaur gets to actually scorch people to bits and bludgeon people's heads aside with a pipe while having gooey bloody action from King Bowser Koopa mauling faces off.

Your princess is in another castle. Go with the 360.

Falcarius

The Unwieldy Clawed One
MBTI Type
COOL
Falcarius does not really play computer games any more. He voted bottom two options; firstly, as the games he mostly plays are Mario Galaxy and Smash Bros. Brawl which of course are on the Wii. Secondly, one can't beat retro classics from days gone by; for example, Sonic the Hedgehog 2 and Street Fighter II are much more fun to play than any game made this console generation.

All the 360 games seem the same to Falcarius as they are all pretty much first-person shooters (the good ones anyway), if Falcarius were to play a first-person shooter he would rather play them on the PC. As for the PS3, it does not even have one game that makes Falcarius want to play it.

r0wo1

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Ugh the console war makes me sick...

Dont get me wrong I used to be deep in the trenches myself, Although I have always been a diehard PC Gamer I was all for Xbox for a time before I discovered what I was missing with the PS2. With the new console releases I fell in love with the Wii and I continued to battle my way through the console war trenches.

But after listening to a Penny Arcade podcast they brought up a good point... Why do we have to fight this ridiculous battle? Why can't we just like GAMES? Whats wrong with that?

I've taken that to heart and that is where I stand, I just like GAMES.

(And PC Gaming will live longer then consoles mark my words. ;))

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You know, I see all these reviews about how Killzone 2 is the best-looking game ever. Personally, I don't see it. My best guess is that it's the best-looking console game ever, 'cause it doesn't even come close to Crysis.

Though, to be honest, it's not even that special for a console game, save the opening cinematic. Once again, console games all seem to be the same.

And just because a game has atmospheric lighting and drab, dusty environments does not make it look good.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Everyone knows the best looking game ever is Jet Set Radio Future. I challenge anyone to prove me wrong!

TenebrousReflection

MBTI Type
INFp
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Occasionally I contemplate getting a 360, and the PS3 is appealing for its Blu-Ray capability, so this has made for some interesting reading, but so far I don't see a perspective quite matching my own for weighing the pros and cons of each...

As someone that likes RPGs and strategy games (with a strong preference for turn based strategy games that have a storyline/campaign), what noteworthy titles (RPG or strategy) are exclusive to any of the current generation of consoles? While the winner may be financially quantifiable region by region, my perception is that each is a winner of sorts among certain groups of players with some genres being contested, so my take on the question would be is there a clear winner in the genres of RPGs and Strategy titles among the contenders?

At the moment, I'm rather reluctant to spend money on any luxury items, but if I get money back from taxes this year, I'll probably spend it on either a 360 (a new Star Ocean was just released for it so I know I'd have a game I've been looking forward to for it right away at least), HD TiVO (I've got a Comcast DVR right now which isn't horrible but it's functionality sucks compared to my old TiVO (its HD and my old TiVO is not) :( ) or a PS3 (I mostly watch movies thru Netflix and they offer a lot of them in Blu-Ray now and that would be nice to have).

Thanks,

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Eh it's too hard to choose. Each system can be the best depending upon what you want to play/do with it.

I highly enjoy my Wii. It's a lot of fun for when friends come over as well. Mario Galaxy is amazing btw.

The PS3 is fun too. Metal Gear 4 was...life changing and you can't go wrong with added Blu Ray. I don't have a 360, but i always hear good things.

Old school systems always have a place in my heart. I often find myself playing Super Nintendo, just because that shit was awesome when i was a kid, and still is to me.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Occasionally I contemplate getting a 360, and the PS3 is appealing for its Blu-Ray capability, so this has made for some interesting reading, but so far I don't see a perspective quite matching my own for weighing the pros and cons of each...

As someone that likes RPGs and strategy games (with a strong preference for turn based strategy games that have a storyline/campaign), what noteworthy titles (RPG or strategy) are exclusive to any of the current generation of consoles? While the winner may be financially quantifiable region by region, my perception is that each is a winner of sorts among certain groups of players with some genres being contested, so my take on the question would be is there a clear winner in the genres of RPGs and Strategy titles among the contenders?

At the moment, I'm rather reluctant to spend money on any luxury items, but if I get money back from taxes this year, I'll probably spend it on either a 360 (a new Star Ocean was just released for it so I know I'd have a game I've been looking forward to for it right away at least), HD TiVO (I've got a Comcast DVR right now which isn't horrible but it's functionality sucks compared to my old TiVO (its HD and my old TiVO is not) :( ) or a PS3 (I mostly watch movies thru Netflix and they offer a lot of them in Blu-Ray now and that would be nice to have).

Thanks,

Strategy and RPG are probably my two favorite genres as well. If I had an XBOX 360 the game I'd be most interested in is Fable II. (I don't know anything about the lastest Star Ocean game, but I've had plenty of opportunity to play other Star Ocean games and yet never felt compelled to do so.)

PS3 has Valkyria Chronicles which is a turn based strategy game that has a few real time elements thrown in. I played a demo of it and was very impressed. I'm going to buy it as soon as I get through the couple of games I'm playing right now.

So based on that I think the 360 has the best exclusive RPG right now and PS3 has the best exclusive strategy. Given that most of the games on either system are not exclusive, I'd say pick the console that has the features you want. The 360 is the cheapest way to get a gaming console. The PS3 costs more but has Blue-Ray, and extra stuff thrown in for free like a hard-drive and wifi. It seems like this time around the extra features (or lower price) is more important than the game library since most games are on either system.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper

Thanks,

If you have a netflix account already, if you have Xbox Live gold subscription you can stream any of the netflix's streaming movies on your xbox. It's a great feature and they add new streaming moves every week, not to mention they have BBC Office!

chris1207

MBTI Type
XNXX
Enneagram
3w2
I really want to be wowed by the Wii but you have to wade through so much crap to get to the good games. I'm tired of the mini-game collections! They take no effort to develop and are becoming really derivative. But... Super Mario Galaxy is one of the best games to come out in the last 5 years period. It's really solid and if you haven't played it, I recommend it. For me, second best Mario game only to SMB 3.

I mostly play the 360. I have more than 20 games for it. My favorite game on the truly next gen consoles is GTAIV. I just don't see any reason that I should get a PS3. Sure, it has a better library of games now than when I bought my 360, but now that I have a separate blu-ray player the reasons I'd get that system have gone back down to where they were before in number.

I think it's a shame that so many 360 games are based around genres that started strong on the PC. No, I'm not a PC gamer wishing that the consoles weren't trying to usurp the PC fanbase. I just think that FPS, RTS, and MMORPG's can't hold a candle to action-adventure games like the two listed above, for me at least. PC gaming is such an NT thing, especially RTS's. They're so impersonal and boring. And then the games that try to have a personal element end up failing at the execution. Fable II's a great example of this. The whole social set-up in that game is based around effort and reward. Act like an idiot and people become +10 liking you. It can't compete with Majora's Mask, which had a deep sense of urgency and caring for others that the game instilled on it's players. I tell ya, I've never played a game, other than that, where I felt such a grand feeling of accomplishment.

Alright, I'm done. I voted 360 BTW.

TenebrousReflection

MBTI Type
INFp
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Thanks for the feedback. Maybe my impression is wrong, but from what I've read about it I never percieved Fable as an RPG - more of an open ended edventure game with some RPG elements - at least I would not expect a traditional RPG experience from it, but it did get my curiosity from word of mouth. At the moment, its looking heavily weighted toward getting a 360 as my next console purchase.

Anyone reading this probably has a decent computer (tho theoretically someone could browse and post here on a Dreamcast with peripherals or something like that :)), but if you have a 360 and not a gaming PC and like RPGs, I enjoyed Mass Effect, Oblivion, and Fallout 3 which were all released on both the PC and 360 (and maybe the PS3 also, but I don't know). I never played Majora's Mask (I tried the first N64 Zelda and did NOT have the coordination to get far in it (same problem for Mario 64) :)) so I don't know how any of those would compare to that, but I'd recommend them enough to at least give them a rental if you have not tried them (even having the PC versions I'll eventually want to try the 360 versions to see how they compare).