• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

RPGs, anyone?

Which ones do you play?

• Pen n' Paper RPGs

Votes: 19 44.2%
  • Miniature games

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • Video Game RPGs

Votes: 35 81.4%
  • Live Action Role-Playing (LARP)

Votes: 6 14.0%
  • None, I'm not a freak! :D

Votes: 3 7.0%

• Total voters

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
I still play Everquest for roughly ~9 hours a week.... that number used be to be in the triple digits though!

r0wo1

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
I love Dnd! Pen and Paper RPGs are just fun in general. And FFVII has been my favorite vid game since I was 10 =D. I have yet to try LARPing though... anybody have experience? How is it?

nozflubber, your avatar makes me laugh

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Larp as well as table top Dnd for me...:blush:

d@v3

Perfect Gentleman! =D
MBTI Type
ISTJ
I play World of Warcraft once in a while... does that count? :huh:

Habba

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9

It counts as Video Game RPGs. :newwink: Maybe I should have added MMORPGs as a separate voting option.

As for myself, I play video game RPGs and pen n' paper RPGs. Although I don't have much time or chances for either of them... but every then and now.

But last weekend I played rather interesting type of RPG. A card-based storytelling game. It's basically an RPG, but there are no character sheets or skills. Characters just have name, and a description of their personality and status. And there is no DM.

So how does it work then? Each player is a Story-Teller consecutively. First the Story-Teller decides a scene and the characters in it, and then the characters interact within the scene. At any time, any player may play a card and bring new elements and events to the scene. Once the scene is over, the next player becomes the Story-Teller and arranges an another scene with any characters. This goes on and on until the final scene comes, and the plot will resolve (in this game, it was an attempt of murder and one of the players was the murderer... and his/her identity remained hidden until the final scene).

It's all about improvisation. There are no "builds" or imbalances with the characters, since there ain't any rules.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
RPG-7s are the best! :D
Damn it, you nicked my line!!

As for roleplay games, I've done all of them. I've been playing D&D off and on for 22 years.

I would like to make one adjustment though. Proper roleplay games ALWAYS involve paper and books... those video wannabies are for those with low concentration spans and the LARP... obviously a back hander to extraverts.

:D Purist to the core :D

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
rpg29-1.jpg

Actually, the RPG-29 "Vampire" is the best RPG anti-tank system.

"The RPG-29, the most advanced model, which uses a tandem-charge high explosive anti-tank warhead to penetrate explosive reactive armour (ERA) is capable of destroying some modern MBTs such as the T-90.[1] In August 2006, an RPG-29 round penetrated the frontal ERA of a Challenger 2 tank during an engagement in al-Amarah, Iraq.[2]"
- RPG-29 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Clownmaster

EvanTheClown (ETC)
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
When it comes to RPG Videogames, i've been more the MMORPG type, and the power-gamer at that.

When it comes to D&D, I'm the powergamer who roleplays and makes eccentric characters. Its fun to deny the stereotypes and go with something a little different.

My current 4th edition D&D character is a Dwarf with a mohawk who rapes face with a maul. I could go on a lot longer explaining the effectiveness of him, but that'd just bore some people. :D

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
When it comes to RPG Videogames, i've been more the MMORPG type, and the power-gamer at that.

When it comes to D&D, I'm the powergamer who roleplays and makes eccentric characters. Its fun to deny the stereotypes and go with something a little different.

My current 4th edition D&D character is a Dwarf with a mohawk who rapes face with a maul. I could go on a lot longer explaining the effectiveness of him, but that'd just bore some people. :D

Con based fighter. Dwarven Weapon Training?

Habba

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9

Oh, and by the way.. I used to play this a lot few years ago. I even was in the beta! I quit just before the Burning Crusade came.

My favorite way of playing was definitely Role-Playing. I had this all-logical no-emotion (now how fitting is that for an ISTJ? :p) Undead Warlock, who sought to bring unity to the Forsaken people. He was no evil, nor good. And not an emo! He existed to serve the people. I wrote numerous pages of background story and quests/happenings for my friends.

I even had a guild, and not just any guild but the largest (and the only for a few weeks) Forsaken-only guild on the server (Defias Brotherhood). Oh, how wonderful it was leading a guild with ~100 role-playing Undead characters. :devil:

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I play video game RPGs. I'm a big Diablo 2 fan.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh man I remember squandering an entire summer on Diablo II. And a few weeks on Baldur's Gate. lol

Memories...

S

Sniffles

I never heard of the RPG-29. Fallen behind on my weapons analysis lately.

How did I know you were going to pull this quote up? Do you think it negates "turn the other cheek" or just contradicts it?

Ever heard of something called a paradox? In any case, it certainly negates your pacifist interpretation of "turn the other cheek", that along with other references within the NT. Need we forget that the first Roman convert is a commander in the army, and the main issue about him is not his profession but whether or not he needs to submit to Jewish customs like circumsicion. In Ephesians 6:10-13, St. Paul uses numerous martial idioms to describe the struggles Christians face in living their faith.

Paul also notes that God ordained the state to wield the sword, and on a related note calls upon Christians to be loyal citizens of the Roman Empire. In Roman society, military service and citizenship were closely connected. To many, the only road to citizenship was service as an auxiliary in the army.

Now there certainly were issues among early Christians about serving in the army. Namely that serving in the army often meant having to pay homage to pagan deities and because the army was often used by the state to persecute Christians.

Overall Christ is telling people not to take the law into their own hands.

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Pen-and-paper is, I find, best suited for strong characterization and player interaction with a minimum of active rules; especially for a mixed group. I would commit all the number-crunching to a computer, turning to World of Warcraft for something more structurally complex.

Noel

MBTI Type
INFP
Yeah

Currently playing a 4th edition campaign as a charisma based dwarven warlord. I must say the amount of utility my character brings to our group astounds even the DM. I've never particularly liked being a pure 'pew-pew' class nor being a pure healing class, but the warlord caters to me quite nicely with a little bit of everything.

Of the video game flavour:

Completed and loved
Baldur's Gate II + Throne of Bhaal
Planescape: Torment
Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines
Fallout I & II
Deus Ex
S.t.a.l.k.e.r.: Shadows of Chernobyl
Chrono Trigger
Earthbound
Final Fantasy VI
Secret of Mana

Need to play

Fallout III
The Witcher
System Shock 2
Knights of the Old Republic

Mmorpgs
Everquest I & II
Lord of the Rings: Online (actively playing)
Dark Age of Camelot
Age of Conan
Warhammer
World of Warcraft

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Yeah

Currently playing a 4th edition campaign as a charisma based dwarven warlord. I must say the amount of utility my character brings to our group astounds even the DM. I've never particularly liked being a pure 'pew-pew' class nor being a pure healing class, but the warlord caters to me quite nicely with a little bit of everything.

Of the video game flavour:

Completed and loved
Baldur's Gate II + Throne of Bhaal
Planescape: Torment
Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines
Fallout I & II
Deus Ex
S.t.a.l.k.e.r.: Shadows of Chernobyl
Chrono Trigger
Earthbound
Final Fantasy VI
Secret of Mana

Need to play

Fallout III
The Witcher
System Shock 2
Knights of the Old Republic

Oh yes, warlords are a lot of fun. I was playing a rather bossy Eladrin princeling in such a style. Using fey step to teleport behind the monsters, and a reach longspear. The characterisation and way you can allow the others to get combat advantage - while still being a secondary inspiring healer - is a lot of fun to play.

Noel

MBTI Type
INFP
Oh yes, warlords are a lot of fun. I was playing a rather bossy Eladrin princeling in such a style. Using fey step to teleport behind the monsters, and a reach longspear. The characterisation and way you can allow the others to get combat advantage - while still being a secondary inspiring healer - is a lot of fun to play.

Ha! I just realized last game that given my inclination to hang back a little bit, I may as well have a weapon capable of reach. The group loves the inherit +2 initiative bonus, inspiring presence and word for starters. At times I feel as if I'm playing a turn-based strategy game (especially using a grid board for combat), telling people to attack an enemy or use a healing surge. It's a rush!