• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

A Scanner Darkly - Thoughts? Reviews? Typing?

Argus

MBTI Type
ENTP
I watched A Scanner Darkly a couple nights ago (although I fell asleep before the end) so watched it again and repeated the previous. Not that it was boring - far from the contrary - I found it to be hilarious, paradoxical and down right brilliant.

If you haven't seen the movie, do not fret. You should be able to youtube some scenes and get a good enough feel for the characters to establish their types.

I was hoping to hear that you guys thought about the movie and the characters types.

argh! the title!

My best guesses:
James Barris - ENTP
Bob Arctor - ISTJ
Ernie Luckman - ESFP
Donna Hawthorne - **F*
Charles Freck - IDK?

and whatever other characters there are that I omitted.

I more wanted to hear what you guys thought and then compared them to my own.

Last edited:

mysterio

MBTI Type
ENTP
I’m not sure about the character types, but I think A Scanner Darkly was closer to PKD's singular vision and voice than any of the other film adaptations of his works.

I love Blade Runner, don’t get me wrong, but that film was much more Ridley Scott’s vision than Philip K. Dick’s. It was actually more Raymond Chandler than PKD.

kuranes

MBTI Type
XNXP
I’m not sure about the character types, but I think A Scanner Darkly was closer to PKD's singular vision and voice than any of the other film adaptations of his works.

I love Blade Runner, don’t get me wrong, but that film was much more Ridley Scott’s vision than Philip K. Dick’s. It was actually more Raymond Chandler than PKD.
+1

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think ISFJ fits Arctor better.

ENTP is spot on for Barris; ESFP seems to work for Luckman.

Hawthorne is ENFJ...scary, manipulative ENFJ who's convinced herself that she's doing good by royally fucking Bob over.

Freck is probably a very eccentric INTP.

speculative

Feelin' FiNe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Although I knew it was based on PKD, I expected it to be trite & trendy based on the animation style. However, I now see how that is really the only animation style that could possibly work for the film. I also think that a "live-action" version couldn't be pulled off correctly, so now I see that was the only possible choice for the film to be made, barring future animation technology/style in the future...

I found this film to be really deep, especially with the twist at the end. Hmm... although it was kind of depressing, I think I should watch this one again.