• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Any tennis fans here?

Anentropic IxTx

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Yes, I think... just because I was glued to the screen for the whole Nadal/Federer thing. That was intense, man! I was nervous.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
I'm a tennis fan, and yes Nadal v. Federer is the ultimate matchup.

tenINsFJ

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w9
I'm a tennis fan, and yes Nadal v. Federer is the ultimate matchup.

Honestly, Roger Federer and Pete Sampras are both my all time favs, hands down. But I don't think it is much of a match-up between Nadal and Federer anymore. Unless Federer gets his humble confidence back, I don't see how he will beat Nadal again. Since last year, Nadal has worked on really flattening out that ball.. just incredible... combined with his high level of fitness... sheesh, I can't really think of anyone that will beat him. Beating Federer after playing a 5+ hour match against verdasco... that's saying something right there.. especially after Federer pretty much cruised through Roddick.
This will be an interesting year of tennis.. I'm excited for Wimbledon.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Honestly, Roger Federer and Pete Sampras are both my all time favs, hands down. But I don't think it is much of a match-up between Nadal and Federer anymore. Unless Federer gets his humble confidence back, I don't see how he will beat Nadal again. Since last year, Nadal has worked on really flattening out that ball.. just incredible... combined with his high level of fitness... sheesh, I can't really think of anyone that will beat him. Beating Federer after playing a 5+ hour match against verdasco... that's saying something right there.. especially after Federer pretty much cruised through Roddick.
This will be an interesting year of tennis.. I'm excited for Wimbledon.

I think because Federer plays a style that can last him a bit longer, Nadal might burn himself out a little earlier. I am inclined to agree with you though. Federer needs to play perfectly to match Nadal now, and Nadal's tenacity makes it so much harder to do so. Wimbledon will be great. If Federer can't beat Nadal there...I think it will pretty much be the end. I'd like Federer to beat the record though, because he's been all tennis has had for years until Nadal came up to keep a casual fan like myself interested in the sport.

tenINsFJ

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w9
I think because Federer plays a style that can last him a bit longer, Nadal might burn himself out a little earlier. I am inclined to agree with you though. Federer needs to play perfectly to match Nadal now, and Nadal's tenacity makes it so much harder to do so. Wimbledon will be great. If Federer can't beat Nadal there...I think it will pretty much be the end. I'd like Federer to beat the record though, because he's been all tennis has had for years until Nadal came up to keep a casual fan like myself interested in the sport.

I know what you mean. Federer has this extremely crafty game, just sheer genius. And I agree that it is a good match up for Nadal. Over the last year though, I've noticed that his playing style has not been as smooth and relaxed as he used to be. When he was reigning as #1 for years, he had this nonchalant way of gracefully moving towards the ball.. lately it seems as he is more confused and not anticipating as well, and really holding back.

Did you notice that 5th set how he just completely crumbled? Not to discredit him since he is still #2 in the world.. but he's a professional and he was making some horrible shots that were at least 2.5+ feet out. Just a couple years ago, these errors were less than 5% of his overall statistics. His unforced errors have been off the charts. And that last game... I felt so bad for him. 2 doubles I think and some really far 'out' balls.

I don't want to see him cry anymore... I want to see those cups in his hand! And like you said, I hope he breaks Sampras' record!!! Sampras anticipated that his record will get broken this year. I got my fingers crossed :D

You're a tennis player? How long? What's your rating? Play USTA?

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I know what you mean. Federer has this extremely crafty game, just sheer genius. And I agree that it is a good match up for Nadal. Over the last year though, I've noticed that his playing style has not been as smooth and relaxed as he used to be. When he was reigning as #1 for years, he had this nonchalant way of gracefully moving towards the ball.. lately it seems as he is more confused and not anticipating as well, and really holding back.

Did you notice that 5th set how he just completely crumbled? Not to discredit him since he is still #2 in the world.. but he's a professional and he was making some horrible shots that were at least 2.5+ feet out. Just a couple years ago, these errors were less than 5% of his overall statistics. His unforced errors have been off the charts. And that last game... I felt so bad for him. 2 doubles I think and some really far 'out' balls.

I don't want to see him cry anymore... I want to see those cups in his hand! And like you said, I hope he breaks Sampras' record!!! Sampras anticipated that his record will get broken this year. I got my fingers crossed :D

You're a tennis player? How long? What's your rating? Play USTA?

Oh no I don't play. Just for recreation once in a blue moon. I've always loved to play and loved to watch.

But yes, you can see Federer just completely lose focus in these later rounds. He seems to really doubt his ability to beat him. His 5 set record is 13-12 now? That's very telling for someone of his ability.

scattershot

MBTI Type
ENFP
Is it mental or physical fatigue, though? Looks like Nadal just wears him out and then he gets sloppy in the 5th. I'm obviously not in the same shape as these guys, but more of my errors and double faults come from being tired than from being nervous.

And yeah, I'd like to see Federer break Sampras' record just because he's been so dominant over this stretch. Seems like he should end up with the record.

tenINsFJ

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w9
Is it mental or physical fatigue, though? Looks like Nadal just wears him out and then he gets sloppy in the 5th. I'm obviously not in the same shape as these guys, but more of my errors and double faults come from being tired than from being nervous.

And yeah, I'd like to see Federer break Sampras' record just because he's been so dominant over this stretch. Seems like he should end up with the record.

That's a really really really good point. I think it's a combination of both. Nadal's 5th set winning percentage is ridiculously high. I honestly don't even notice a decrease in Nadal's performance and energy levels between the 1st and 5th set. But I'm also pretty certain that Federer's mind game has him in a slump. His body language, body posture and facial expressions are enough. When he misses a shot and they show his face, it's not a fatigued look.. :(

If I can recall correctly from 08 Wimbledon, the worst set lost was a 6-4 score, and there were two tiebreak sets, and the fifth went to 9-7. That's a lot of games and Federer definitely kept up with the endurance match, so although I'm sure fatigue was a factor, I'd think there is a mental glitch up there that is preventing him from playing his best.

scattershot

MBTI Type
ENFP
That's a really really really good point. I think it's a combination of both. Nadal's 5th set winning percentage is ridiculously high. I honestly don't even notice a decrease in Nadal's performance and energy levels between the 1st and 5th set.

Yeah, if anything, Nadal seems stronger in the 5th.

But I'm also pretty certain that Federer's mind game has him in a slump. His body language, body posture and facial expressions are enough. When he misses a shot and they show his face, it's not a fatigued look.. :(

Yeah, he definitely hasn't been as invincible mentally as he was. It's probably a bit of both. I was just thinking about how sloppy I get when I'm tired. I can get to the ball in time, but I'm a bit off-balance or don't bend my knees enough, so it sails long. No idea if the pros have the same dropoff in their game, though.