• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How many fights have you been in?

How many actual fights have you been in?

• Total voters

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I'm a totally wimp, if theirs a chance of getting my ass whooped I'll hide.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I've only ever been in physical fights with my sister when we were kids, but I have, quite a few times as an adult, shot my mouth off to a complete stranger and was convinced I was probably about to get punched. Turns out I'm pretty good at bravado when the need presents itself.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
I've only ever been in physical fights with my sister when we were kids, but I have, quite a few times as an adult, shot my mouth off to a complete stranger and was convinced I was probably about to get punched. Turns out I'm pretty good at bravado when the need presents itself.

Apparently it's really quite hard to start a fight.. was listening to an interview from some undercover security in bars. Usually there is long-long period of shouting before a fight ever breaks out, and it involves trying the damnedest to make the other person look like the instigator, so that when the police are called, the first person doesn't get the blame.

As a result, therefore, a fight very very rarely happens unless both parties refuse to walk away, and usually get a few chances to do so.

I was quite surprised by that.. but then I never get into fights so am entirely ignorant.

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
Apparently it's really quite hard to start a fight.. was listening to an interview from some undercover security in bars. Usually there is long-long period of shouting before a fight ever breaks out, and it involves trying the damnedest to make the other person look like the instigator, so that when the police are called, the first person doesn't get the blame.

As a result, therefore, a fight very very rarely happens unless both parties refuse to walk away, and usually get a few chances to do so.

I was quite surprised by that.. but then I never get into fights so am entirely ignorant.

I can see that happening amongst certain groups of people, but I've been at clubs or bars where a man has bumped another mans girlfriend, and there has been no talk, just brutal violence.

I've seen fights kick off with no warning, I've been sitting at mcdonalds before with a guy I used to know, and because we were being silly, some man came over and punched my friend in the face, absolutely no warning given, and that turned into a very intense fight where one got arrested and one ended up in hospital.

Maybe it's about the world you come from, because the street culture of one area over another even within the same country is quite different.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
I can see that happening amongst certain groups of people, but I've been at clubs or bars where a man has bumped another mans girlfriend, and there has been no talk, just brutal violence.

I've seen fights kick off with no warning, I've been sitting at mcdonalds before with a guy I used to know, and because we were being silly, some man came over and punched my friend in the face, absolutely no warning given, and that turned into a very intense fight where one got arrested and one ended up in hospital.

Maybe it's about the world you come from, because the street culture of one area over another even within the same country is quite different.

Maybe so, sounds like I should be glad I dont party in London.. hell I wouldn't even want to go to McDonalds!

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
Maybe so, sounds like I should be glad I dont party in London.. hell I wouldn't even want to go to McDonalds!

:rofl1: yeah, violence and crap burgers.

Partying in london is ok, just not in the shadier parts where I spent way too much time as a youth.

When I discovered that it was possible to party with a whole different crowd who actually didn't feel the need to mark their territory with aggressive displays of manliness and street smarts (ie world dance vs labyrinth) I was estatic because I could actually let my guard down, which led to nicknames like "bounty bar" "uncle tom" and "sell out" by my shadier friends.

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
I don't understand how so many people have managed to avoid getting in fights. Is it perhaps a matter of differing definitions as to what constitutes a "real fight" (eg if the blood sprays less than 5m it's just playing around)? Do you back down/move away when a fight threatens, or do you never get into situations where someone wants to fight you in the first place?

I was estatic because I could actually let my guard down, which led to nicknames like "bounty bar" "uncle tom" and "sell out" by my shadier friends.

wtf? You have weird shady friends.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
I was almost embarassed to say "zero" outside of fighting with my brother (like cats and dogs) but 010111 and PrplChknz make me feel better. Especialy Prpl - it takes couage to be that honest! Bravo! :)

I think I'd be embarassed to fight with another woman in a bar or club, the only thing that would make me do it is if I'm ambushed or if I'm in a rage. I grew up with too many people with anger management issues to have a cavalier attitude towards fighting, verbal or otherwise.

I concur with BerberElla, it really isn't that hard to see fights break out and that each community is different.

I've been on the dance floor or just bar floor before and felt movement behind me, turned around, and realized there's a brawl happening (men, women, both)

It happens a lot it's true, when a date is involved or people feel 'disrespected' i.e. a drink is accidentally spilled on them or their date - the hostility, confrontation, and shoving are immediate. The physical altercations I've seen have been instant and totally emotion fueled. However, I have heard from men that other men randomly pick fights with them at bars and you have to work to defuse and deflect them - that kind of bar fighting seems more cultural/ritual based and may be in line with what Geoff's post reports.

BTW, not all INTPs are pacificts. My brother has gotten into altercations before with strangers and he doesn't shy away from physical fights. He's more likely to engage physically than he is conversationally. I actually get concerned sometimes in public and pull him away from these situations.

I knew another guy..IXTX who's cultural background and community just meant a lot of physical fighting. He told me some stories about fights he'd been in. Some were quite funny. Fighting as a way of life and fighting even when you aren't even that angry or even really care about whatever the reason is.

One of his friends actually went to prison for a few years because of a fight. I thought he seemed "nice" but his other male friends made the comments, "Oh yeah, I can see that" and "Oh no, I wouldn't want to mess with him".

So anecdotally, I do know of folks who fight routinely and even enjoy it. I think the cultural/community influences and age make a bigger impact in this case than just type.

cherchair

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Most of mine were in grade school with boys. Also with my middle brother at about the same age.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
- Age 10, punched a guy in the face a couple of times. Black eye and a bloody nose. He made an attempt to bully me.
- Age 12, beat up a couple of older (14ish) norwegian guys who were mocking me. Originally I just intended to kick one guys ass, but the other one jumped me too. Pretty sure one of them got a concussion.
- Age 13, beat up a guy in my class because he was being a fucking asshole.
- Age 14 bordering on 15, beat up three bullies in a fit of rage. Bleeding noses, bruised faces, sore ribs, hopefully a concussion or two. They started it, confident in their ability to hold me down. They pushed me behind a glass door and poured water on me for trying to stop them from doing just that to a scrawny-ass kid in my class.
- Age 20, knocked the shit out of a guy who had abused a girl I know, pushing her into doing drugs. He also made her pregnant and she was going through a bad depression because of the abortion.
- Age 21, few days ago. Wrestled down a guy who jumped me for trying to keep him from attacking my friends. No injuries. Handed him over to the police and he spent the night in the drunk tank. Didn't press any form of charges, the shame of it is enough for him I hope.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Age doesn't matter. Play fighting doesn't count. What counts is when there is genuine intent to physically harm on both sides. Boxing (in a ring) is a grey area imo. Let's not count it for the purposes of this poll. Ditto with supervised, organized martial-arts of any kind.
I've been in two.
I won both of them.
I was in my early teens, I think.
I did not start the fights,
and I had an awful feeling when I felt like I was gaining the advantage over the other person.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I was almost embarassed to say "zero" outside of fighting with my brother (like cats and dogs) but 010111 and PrplChknz make me feel better. Especialy Prpl - it takes couage to be that honest! Bravo! :)

I don't think that takes courage, its more fear if I was ever asked to prove my fighting skills if I said I had been in fights it'd be clear that I am not a fighter. I would say I'm a lover, but that's not true.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's been a while for me.

I'd love to have one right now.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
3, I think...

Wait, does slapping strangers who need 'correcting' count? Coz then I think it's 5... They didn't hit me back though.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Aside from my sister when we were kids, none.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
I had to vote 15+... even though I've always tried to avoid fights. Rough neighborhood growing up. :dry:

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
^ If that avatar picture is indeed you, Biaxident, I'm surprised that many would be willing to risk it! :D