• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Metaphor

Mole

Permabanned
I am fascinated by metaphors.

Did you know that computers can't be programmed for metaphors and only persons can create metaphors?

Did you know that very young children don't understand metaphors and don't like them?

Did you know that a metaphor is a comparison of relationships?

Do you know that the structure of a metaphor is - As A is to B so C is to D?

And did you know that language metaphors are usually shortened so that the structure is invisible, such as Juliette is the Sun, or Victor is a parsnip.

And that you need to know the literal meaning before you can understand the metaphoric meaning?

And did you know that adolescents are more comfortable with visual metaphors than language metaphors?

Did you know that metaphors are waiting for you just as you are waiting for metaphors?

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Do you know that metaphor is to INFP as stink is to thit? :smile:

(Ack. Just grossed myself out.)

I've realized that I think in metaphor. Not a good idea to verbalize it with STs though. All kindza crazy stuff happens.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I see the world in metaphor. I have to work backwards to literal translations so that I can speak with people and have them understand.

Even then, it doesn't always work because it doesn't always translate.

:sigh:

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
That post was a beacon of the literal in a raging sea of metaphor, iwakar.