• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Persona 4

Jeremy

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
This game is gonna rule my life. Anyone else here played it? If so, what do you think your shadow would say to you? What would your Persona be? I find it oddly related to the ideas we discuss on these forums a lot..

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
I think I tried Persona 2 a while ago, but it didn't do much for me. However the reviews say that Persona 3 and 4 are better, so I might try them out again.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I heard so much good things about the Shin Megami Tensei games and Persona I gave Persona 3 a try. I was so disappointed....

Now, I'm a fan of all game genres but this kind of JRPG dungeon crawling is getting so old. There is next to no gameplay variety and the story and context failed to grab me.

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
I think I tried Persona 2 a while ago, but it didn't do much for me. However the reviews say that Persona 3 and 4 are better, so I might try them out again.

Heathen! Persona 2 is one of my all-time favorites-I was massively pissed off when I discovered that they never released the original Perona 2 in the states (especially after leaving out half of the original game), I swear whoever decides these things hates Yuki, that awsome, blue-haired lady of razers...

Sorry, I couldn't resist indulging in some nerd-rage,there ;) If I remember correctly, the game starts out fairly slow, and the unique play mechnics have a bit of a learning curve. If you find that you enjoy the sequels, I would highly reccomend that you give Persona 2 another chance.

That said, I have to admit I haven't even played my copy of Persona 3 FES yet (assuming its at least as deep as Persona 2, I haven't been able to schedule such a time-commitment-these aren't the type of rpg's one can easily put down for a week or two while real-life gets in the way), much less Persona 4. I hope to do so shortly.

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
This game is gonna rule my life. Anyone else here played it? If so, what do you think your shadow would say to you? What would your Persona be? I find it oddly related to the ideas we discuss on these forums a lot..

Hmm, does the Xenogears now have competition in the video-game cult department? :D Seriously, I'm glad the Persona series seems to be making an impact on you, I've been a fan for about a decade and for several years I worried that I would never see another Persona game in the States.

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
My little magazine reviewed the game and gave it high marks. Unfamiliar with the series, I find myself quite drawn to this sort of RPG.

WithoutaFace

MBTI Type
INTJ
The only thing I dislike about RPGs is the redundancy of the fighting systems though. However, if there is a great storyline, I will be willing to tolerate this minor caveat. According to some reviews, this game has exactly that.

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
The only thing I dislike about RPGs is the redundancy of the fighting systems though. However, if there is a great storyline, I will be willing to tolerate this minor caveat. According to some reviews, this game has exactly that.

The early Persona games, at least, have a very unique fighting engine; you might find that you enjoy the difference.

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
Unique? How so?

For starters, in Persona 1 and 2 you must attempt to negotiate with the demons (experimenting with different styles of doing so) in order to gain a card signifying their allegiance to you. Later, you mix multiple cards (as well as various other items hidden throughout the game) in order to create new cards and ally with the most powerful demons in the game. There is more, but its been about four years since I've been able to play the games (Persona 2 is well over 100+ hours, so its not a casual gaming comittment), so I don't remember everything. Rest assured that the combat in those games does not feel peripheral to or thematically separate from the story elements-and its quite a bit more fun than is standard in Japanese rpg's.

WithoutaFace

MBTI Type
INTJ
For starters, in Persona 1 and 2 you must attempt to negotiate with the demons (experimenting with different styles of doing so) in order to gain a card signifying their allegiance to you. Later, you mix multiple cards (as well as various other items hidden throughout the game) in order to create new cards and ally with the most powerful demons in the game. There is more, but its been about four years since I've been able to play the games (Persona 2 is well over 100+ hours, so its not a casual gaming comittment), so I don't remember everything. Rest assured that the combat in those games does not feel peripheral to or thematically separate from the story elements-and its quite a bit more fun than is standard in Japanese rpg's.

Hmmm, I can say this thread conjoined with some reviews has me sold. I'm ready to play!