• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Favorite Documentaries anyone?

ladypinkington

Rubber Nipple Salesperson
MBTI Type
INFJ
I love love love

The Corporation
Who Killed the Electric Car
Hacking Democracy
God Grew Tired of Us
Supersize Me and actually his 30 Days episode where he and his wfie did a special on living on minimun wage
I know there are others that I just haven't thought of, and some that I have excitedly yet to see like I can't wait to rent Ralph Nader-An Unreasonable Man

I also love Christopher Guest's Mockumentaries that he has made
This is Spinal Tap
Best in Show
A Mighty Wind

Wating for Guffman was okay
and For Your Consideration was very disappointing

Anyone else into Documentaries?
If so which ones have you really enjoyed?

Last edited by a moderator:

Langrenus

The Trap - What Happened to Our Dreams of Freedom?

It's on Google videos somewhere...unfortunately it's woefully over-ambitious and as a result tries to tie far too many disparate threads together in a short space of time, but it contains some very interesting material nonetheless.

I make a poor salesman. Just go watch it.

Sahara

MBTI Type
INFP
I don't know their names sadly, my memory fails me on certain details, but any documentary about greek mythology, egyptology, archeology, god such as The root of all evil etc, the walking with dinosaurs and walking with beasts series, the deep blue series and stuff like that.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Brother's Keeper
The Thin Blue Line
Enron - The Smartest Guys In The Room
Roger & Me

But my favorite ever probably doesn't count because it wasn't a theatrical film, it was a miniseries on PBS...Cosmos

RootBall

MBTI Type
NT
Genghis Blues
Rivers and Tides-Andy Goldsworthy working with time.
American Movie
Baraka
Born Into Brothels
Buena Vista Social Club
Winged Migration

niffer

MBTI Type
ENfP
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
BBC one called "Rainforest"..

Sona

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Chris Ryan's - Survival Guides

The Road to Guantanamo (2006)

photo_11.jpg

Road To Guantanamo

In this compelling docudrama by Michael Winterbottom and Mat Whitecross, the 'Tipton Three' narrate their own experiences in America's controversial offshore detention camp The Road To Guant

6 - Stephen Hawking's Universe

This man is truly the greatest thinker of our time.

Seeing is Believing

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-3503784168418219404&q=Stephen+Hawking's+Universe

Big Bang

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-7920349177997636964&q=Stephen+Hawking's+Universe

Cosmic Alchemy

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=2299058853452461321&q=Stephen+Hawking's+Universe

On the Dark Side

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-4548188808652842897&q=Stephen+Hawking's+Universe

Black Holes and Beyond

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-2109743860223883927&q=Stephen+Hawking's+Universe

An Answer to Everything

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-3128229341083745767&q=Stephen+Hawking's+Universe

Each one's is about an hour long, but worth it.

Elegant Universe

TheElegantUniverse.jpg

In this excerpt from his book The Elegant Universe, Brian Greene explains why string theory might hold the key to unifying the four forces of nature.

Beginning with a brief consideration of classical physics, which concentrates on the major conflicts in physics, Greene establishes an historical context for string theory as a necessary means of integrating the probabilistic world of the standard model of particle physics and the deterministic Newtonian physics of the macroscopic world. Greene discusses the essential problem facing modern physics: unification of Einstein's theory of General Relativity and Quantum Mechanics. Greene suggests that string theory is the solution to these two conflicting approaches. Greene uses frequent analogies and mental experiments to provide a means for the layman to come to terms with the theory which has the potential to create a unified theory of physics.

A 3 hour documentary. Can be viewed at: NOVA | The Elegant Universe | Watch the Program | PBS

For those who cant play real media or quick time: YouTube - The Elegant Universe Part 1: Einstein's Dream (1/5)

A must watch. You would find it extremely entertaining and educational at the same time.

Ottomans: Empire of Faith:
Islam: Empire of Faith - Part 3

JONATHAN MILLER'S BRIEF HISTORY OF DISBELIEF

A BBC 4 Documentary- In this first ever television history of disbelief, Jonathan Miller goes on a journey exploring the origins of his own lack of belief and uncovering the hidden story of atheism.

jonathan_miller_lead.jpg

Each documentary is arnd 60 mins long where Miller is seeking answers abt atheism and questions religion. :dunno:

Part 1 - Shadows of Doubt - Jonathan Miller visits the absent Twin Towers to consider the religious implications of 9/11 and meets Arthur Miller and the philosopher Colin McGinn. He searches for evidence of the first 'unbelievers' in Ancient Greece and examines some of the modern theories around why people have always tended to believe in mythology and magic.

Link: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7100434305066027154&q=Brief+History+of+Disbelief

Part 2: Noughts and Crosses -With the domination of Christianity from 500 AD, Jonathan Miller wonders how disbelief began to re-emerge in the 15th and 16th centuries. He discovers that division within the Church played a more powerful role than the scientific discoveries of the period. He also visits Paris, the home of the 18th century atheist, Baron D'Holbach, and shows how politically dangerous it was to undermine the religious faith of the masses.

Link: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1328550084560254937&q=Brief+History+of+Disbelief

Part 3: The Final Hour - The history of disbelief continues with the ideas of self-taught philosopher Thomas Paine, the revolutionary studies of geology and the evolutionary theories of Darwin. Jonathan Miller looks at the Freudian view that religion is a 'thought disorder'. He also examines his motivation behind making the series touching on the issues of death and the religious fanaticism of the 21st century.

The History Channel: Warrior Empire - The Mughals (2006)

B000H5U5SU.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V61532148_.jpg

WARRIOR EMPIRE: THE MUGHALS is a sweeping, in-depth portrait of India's most colorful, violent, and majestic era. From 1526 to 1858, this dynasty of nomadic warriors indulged their appetite for territorial expansion, spreading their rule throughout the Indian subcontinent. Though they conquered their kingdom with crushing brutality, the Mughals were also brilliant technological innovators and masters of art and architecture. This program offers lush, detailed images of Mughal accomplishments such as the glorious Taj Mahal, palaces, forts, water systems, elaborate gardens, and richly crafted artwork. Step-by-step scientific recreations of advanced Mughal metallurgy and weaponry show the meticulous production of chain mail armor for a battalion of elephants, lethally flexible composite bows, rocketry, and swordsmith techniques passed down through the generations, and still alive today. Join us for an enthralling history of the inventive warfare, material excess, architectural marvels, and cultural flowering that shaped modern India.

Link: Mughals

Who wrote the Bible?

Description: Awesome documentary narrated and written by Professor of Theology Robert Beckford. In this film, Beckford, a committed christian believer, began a journey to search for the answer of who wrote the Bible. In his journey he discovered some "earth shattering" information that has caused him doubt some of his most held religious beliefs.

A must watch....This film, as far as I know, has never aired here in the US and probably never will.

whowrotethebible01.jpg

Link: Who wrote the bible? Why? To control whom?

Length ~ 1hr 44 mins

The Doomsday Code

Channel 4 does another great documentary...its about the Apocalypse (or Doomsday, whatever one wishes to call it).

Reading the synopsis should get you psyched to watch it.Channel 4 - Faith and belief - The Doomsday Code

Tony Robinson travels to America, the Middle East, the Mediterranean and Africa to gather evidence that might uncover the realities behind ... all

Sona

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Space [2001]

B00005OCTZ.02._SCLZZZZZZZ_V1131962749_.jpg

Editorial Review: ~ Amazon.com

Space is a visually impressive six-part popular science series from the BBC that follows their runaway successes Walking with Dinosaurs and The Planets into the realm of lavish computer animation. In a stroke of inspired casting Jurassic Park's Sam Neill (no stranger to acting alongside CGI effects) is our earthbound anchor, and he takes the viewer on journeys across the universe in each half-hour segment, thanks to some nifty special effects. Like Carl Sagan's pioneering Cosmos from 1980, Space delves in to the mysteries of how stars and planets were created; but unlike Sagan's visionary and optimistic view of cosmic wonders, Space is astronomy for the Age of Anxiety, revealing with terrifying clarity and in graphic detail how fortunate we are to exist at all, and how it could all end at any moment as a result of space-bound monsters like rogue comets and asteroids that might crash into our planet; or, the worst horror of the universe, wandering black holes that could tear our sun apart.

Even if we survive these implacable cosmic forces bent on our destruction, viewers will not be reassured to be told that the sun is doomed anyway, and its inevitable death will swallow our planet whole (but not before burning it to a crisp first). Finally, the series finds cause for faint optimism with Star Trek-style speculations on the development of Ion-drive and solar-powered spaceships, terraforming new worlds and wormhole technology that might, just might, allow humanity to escape from a doomed Earth and seek refuge somewhere else in the galaxy. A series that sheds light on both the secrets of the universe and, implicitly, the anxious state of our new millennial society, Space is a compelling combination of popular astronomy and really, really scary cosmology. --Mark Walker

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

Episode 1: Star Stuff

Star Stuff How the Universe was made, from the Big Bang to the human body.

Link: http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...ary+Space&hl=en
Run Time ~ 30 mins.
__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

Episode 2: Staying Alive
The Universe is a dangerous place. This programme investigates our survival in space. Although you can't see asteroids with the naked eye, all a good pair of binoculars or a small telescope will help you to spot them.

Run Time ~ 30 mins

Episode 3 Black Holes

Black holes are the Universe's ultimate monsters, sucking everything into their super-dense centres.

Black holes were once thought to be all the monsters of the Universe, devouring everything around them in a frenzied cosmic feast. But now astronomers think that rather than being a space menace, black holes may be fundamental to the creation of galaxies.

Black holes are regions of space where gravity is so strong that not even light can escape, making them impossible to see. But we can see the stuff that is being sucked in to these massive cosmic vacuum cleaners. Anything that approaches a black hole is first torn apart by its immense gravitational force and then forms a flat rotating disc that spirals into the hole.

Run Time ~ 30 mins.

Episode 4 Are We Alone?

There are over four hundred thousand million stars in our Galaxy alone. Where do we start looking for life?

With hundreds of telescopes all now involved in the SETI programme, there is lots of data to look through. Spotting strong signals is easy, but finding a weak signal takes lots of computer time.

Run Time ~ 30 Mins.

Episode 5 - New Worlds

How could humans migrate from planet Earth? Before you leave Mars is closer in temperature to Earth than any of the other all planet in the Solar System. But don't let this catch you off your guard. Mars' weather is even more unpredictable than our own.

We recommend a summer visit, when the temperature can reach a pleasant 27

Nova: This Old Pyramid

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay...e%3ADOCUMENTARY

Nova: Lost Treasure of Tibet

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay...e%3ADOCUMENTARY

Nova: Life and Death in a War Zone
http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay...el%3A%22nova%22

The John Glenn Story

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay...duration%3Along

Story of the Hoover Dam

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay...duration%3Along

OK, I have 100s more. Can't be asked posting more.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
My favorite documentary was one called "Understanding Magnetism." It was part of a series of documentaries called "Understanding <blank>" From what I've been able to gather, it was narrated by Jane Curtin, and apparently was produced by the Discovery Channel.

This page was the only record of it's existence I found on the Internet:

Discovery Channel Videos, Software, Posters and Books

Jasz

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Genghis Blues
Rivers and Tides-Andy Goldsworthy working with time.
American Movie
Baraka
Born Into Brothels
Buena Vista Social Club
Winged Migration

i can only think of Rivers and Tides

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I liked the Michael Moore documentary about Minnesota's very own London Bridge, in which the outcome is somehow the sole fault of the Bush Administration...

Okay, seriously, I liked Special Effects: Anything Can Happen and From Star Wars to Star Wars: The Story of Industrial Light & Magic.

nottaprettygal

MBTI Type
INTj
My favorite documentary is Hoop Dreams. It follows two inner-city boys as they try to make it into the NBA. I don't even like basketball, but it was a great portrait of inner-city life. Plus, there are a few surprises that would seem scripted but are not. Two toes way up.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
I fucking love Planet Earth. I could sit there and watch it all day long, especially in HD.

Particularly, for me, the african cichlids (malawi mbuna and the like) in their natural habitat in Lake Malawi. As I keep the same thing - have a large Mbuna tank, I got such a kick out of learning why they dig the sand holes (to avoid the electric killer eels) and the like.

Great series :)

-Geoff

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I see Hoop Dreams was already mentioned. A complete travesty it was not even nominated for the Best Documentary Academy Award.

I wanted to fly to Chicago and punch that coach if he mentioned Isiah Thomas one more fucking time.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I see Hoop Dreams was already mentioned. A complete travesty it was not even nominated for the Best Documentary Academy Award.

I wanted to fly to Chicago and punch that coach if he mentioned Isiah Thomas one more fucking time.

I LOVED Hoop Dreams. And Isiah Thomas is a punk.

indigo2020

MBTI Type
INFJ
Roger & Me
Bowling for Columbine
Farenheit 911
The Lost Boys of Sudan
The March of the Pengins