• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Future 80s

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I've just seen some fashions which reminded me of 80s movies set in the future (Typically 2010-2020). Everything was even more 80s in the future. Well it's coming, and I can't wait.

Which future 80s would you prefer? Examples:

YouTube - Back To The Future Part II (Theatrical Trailer)

YouTube - 1987 - The Running Man - Trailer

YouTube - Total Recall Trailer

YouTube - Original 1987 Trailer for Robocop

YouTube - Blade Runner trailer

In my book, Back to the Future II just edges out The Running Man as far as style goes.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i know ya did sorry...but i see the 80's reference. i think all futuristic/ultra modern styles look 80's...but i'll get you tube working and play along...just a sec. :)

AfterHours

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Oh Blade Runner. . .:wubbie:
I wonder if I can find a clear raincoat somewhere.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I adore "Bladerunner" but to see the earth so decayed in reality? No.

Back to the Future, for sure.

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
Did someone say Blade runner!!!!!!!!!!!! That gets a million votes from me mainly because I adore Daryl hannah and the fashions ain't bad either!!!

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I believe it's two words officially...

I think I meant whichever future you'd want to live in, but however you want to take it is fine with me. :)

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
I've just seen some fashions which reminded me of 80s movies set in the future (Typically 2010-2020). Everything was even more 80s in the future. Well it's coming, and I can't wait.

Fashion is this weird animal that is both forward and backward looking. But only within a narrow band of about 50 years (or two generations)! You cannot make up entirely new fashions that have no relationship to the past. Fashion is both referential and progressive, paying homage to the past while adopting the essence and aesthetic of the times, which creates an entirely new result.

If something were entirely novel, like a new form of clothing, it would just be alien and therefore unappealing. Likewise, as much as I would like to wear a peruke and black felt dots to cover my smallpox scars a la the court of the Sun King, fashion also tends not too look too far into the past, because that too is alien since most people lack a sense of history. I find it both interesting and frustrating.

Edit: To actually answer the question: Bladerunner. All of the other movies are simply unrealistic, especially in terms of fashion. Bladerunner is effective because it is realistic down to every detail.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Aliens did correctly forecast the return of the popped collar:

a2out4p2.jpg

MBTI Type
ENTP
Escape From New York

aph_20.jpg

aph_7.jpg

and the best one yet...
aph_6.jpg

Has anyone even seen that station wagon model since 1989?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
oh that's a good one booya!
and those station wagon's were SO cool...laying down in the back on a road trip was THE coolest!! haha