• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Online Archived media.

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
How many of you know of, and frequently utilize, the vast amount of media stored on the web?

Do you prefer to view the bulk of your "television" on the computer and do you think that it is a better and more convenient format?

What are some of the sites that you know of and are they restricted to just the websites that are tied into the major networks that display them. Youtube?

I recently came across a fantastic site called Hulu that is basically my new fascination. I can catch up and view all the shows that interest me on my time in remarkable quality. My computer science teacher recommended it to me and I have not been disappointed. I'm curious to know if this is a somewhat popular website and if there are others that are similar and offer different benefits. Discussions about the media in general and where the format is headed are also highly welcomed!!

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
I podcast a lot of content for listening to in the car. MP3s of discussion shows, documentaries, stuff to do with my hobbies. I use a regular downloader (Juice) and largely use podcasts on the bbc website.

It works well, and can only become more mainstream as life goes forward.

placebo

MBTI Type
INFP
How many of you know of, and frequently utilize, the vast amount of media stored on the web?

Do you prefer to view the bulk of your "television" on the computer and do you think that it is a better and more convenient format?

What are some of the sites that you know of and are they restricted to just the websites that are tied into the major networks that display them. Youtube?

I recently came across a fantastic site called Hulu that is basically my new fascination. I can catch up and view all the shows that interest me on my time in remarkable quality. My computer science teacher recommended it to me and I have not been disappointed. I'm curious to know if this is a somewhat popular website and if there are others that are similar and offer different benefits. Discussions about the media in general and where the format is headed are also highly welcomed!!

NinjaVideo.net is the only one I sometimes check, just recently, because I don't tend to watch a lot of television programs anyway. I like documentaries too, either on Youtube or from this site Movies Found Online - Free Documentaries. But Youtube usually provides for all my needs. I <3 it. I don't care that it makes me lose sleep.

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
I have no clue, but the features are magnificent. Full hour shows with little commercial time and outstanding quality. Very recent episodes and whole seasons worth of content. A remarkable depth of content as well I might add. I was stunned, when I first accessed it. I thought it was going to be some uber nerdy hard to use website. With a terrible interface and a very lacking amount of content. I thought it would only appeal to a small audience. I haven't really checked out the site in much depth to be honest, but I thought I had to share since it was so awesome. I just checked out a couple of episodes of house and they were great. Full screen with much better quality than some of the shittier videos on youtube.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
well i don't know but it sounds super cool...so thanks! i'll go check it out. :)

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
A quick bit of research shows that Hulu licenses their content.. it's owned by NBC.

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
I podcast a lot of content for listening to in the car. MP3s of discussion shows, documentaries, stuff to do with my hobbies. I use a regular downloader (Juice) and largely use podcasts on the bbc website.

It works well, and can only become more mainstream as life goes forward.

I've been meaning to do more of that. I remember I briefly dabbled in that with sports podcasts and it was great. I think once you get acquainted with how to fully utilize it the benefits are indeed great. I think if your somewhat technologically savvy and know how to browse around the internet and read up a little bit on some of the apps that help you with it, its well worth it. I think it kind of ties in with the online culture. I know that I find a lot of things through online forums, large community sites, more well known sites like cnet, general forums, and a little word of mouth.

I think that is definitely a "skill" that is very valuable. A more behind the scenes kind of networking and exploring, I actually always make it a point to look at little site comments whatever the site may be. You can get valuable information that way. There might be a lot of fluff but if you gain some experience you know how to parse out information and extract those nuggets of gold.

Do you think that is sort of a new form of literacy that the youth today have access to?

I think I was recently reading an article that kind of debunked that myth, basically saying "that while the Generation Y'ers undoubtedly have a greater access and much more experience with technology in terms of their 'technical knowledge' they aren't that far ahead. Most don't have that IT critical thinking knowledge despite the countless hours they spend." while that is no doubt true, I think the softer skills that some have are most definitely valuable. Just finding forums like this I would guess didn't involve expert Google searches but just basic internet dexterity.

I think I have a pretty decent amount of confidence when it comes to learning and utilizing the information on the web. It's something that I'm constantly increasing and I think it's something that really adds to the quality of my life. I've always sort of been an informal consultant to my friends and family because of some of those skills. I've frequently helped some of the more severely technologically illiterate: purchase, install, integrate, and utilize any number of things with just a little bit of internet know how. Those are all skills that have aided me when it came to more rigorous academic work. Especially in terms of business classes.

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
A quick bit of research shows that Hulu licenses their content.. it's owned by NBC.

I figured, they had too many commercial references for it to be some rogue underground site. I don't think its known all that well. Could it be an appeal to the more internet savvy. I assume most don't know and just go straight to NBC dot.com. I've heard on a much smaller scale, mostly in the consumer technology industry that it's a very effective marketing tactic.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I discovered hulu.com last week. I'm still seeing what it has to offer, but so far it's awesome.

Another site, http://archive.org, has lots of live music (most notably jam bands, indie rock, folk type stuff), texts (nonfiction, fiction, philosophy, politics, history..) and audio (books, poety, news..).

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Oh, Hulu is not available outside the US. Guess I'll have to make do with the BBC iPlayer that is not available outside the UK :)

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I discovered hulu.com last week. I'm still seeing what it has to offer, but so far it's awesome.

Another site, http://archive.org, has lots of live music (most notably jam bands, indie rock, folk type stuff), texts (nonfiction, fiction, philosophy, politics, history..) and audio (books, poety, news..).

oh cool! i'll check that out too!! i LOVE new fun discoveries like this! yay! hehe :)

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
Wowio is another interesting site that I came across. It's basically an online format for viewing books. It's free to view and comes in a handy and easy to use PDF format and has a pretty good variety of subjects to choose from. In order to download though there is a fee, but you do get full access online to all the books that are contained. It's handy if you're up for some more authoritative and more informed reading. A nice segue way from Wikipedia. Might even cut short some of your visits to Barnes and Nobles.