• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Favorite Shakespeare?

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Hamlet is my favorite and Richard III is pretty damn good as well.

Shakespeare... :wub:

EDIT: I am attempting to do work right now but will come back with reasonings behind why these plays are my favorite and why Shakespeare was a god amongst men. :yes:

Hirsch63

MBTI Type
IS??
Of all that I have read or seen it is still Hamlet that is my fave...so many of our common aphorisms or sayings are contained within it I was quite surprised when I first read it...and of the films of it, Branaugh's full text is one of my top ten films....Though Taming of the Shrew is a close second just for the fun....

bronte

MBTI Type
infp
Antony and Cleopatra
King Lear
Henry V

but would go to the theatre to see any - pure magic!! :wubbie:

Noel

MBTI Type
INFP
The Winter's Tale

"It is required / You do awake your faith" (V.III.94-95).

If Hamlet is to INTP, then The Winter's Tale is to INFP. Shakespeare's The Winter's Tale delves into the fantastical elements of the human imagination. King Leontes, stricken with grief over the death of his wife Herimone, believes in the power of magic to bring her back to life from Paulina - whom suggested to him to awake his faith. I think on a grander scale, Shakespeare seems to suggest to the audience the power of theatre itself where fantastical things occur: king's disguise themselves as commoners, the fool tricks everyone, magic brings back the dead, etc. Truth exists in fiction. Reawaking our faith within the imagination brings forth the opportunity to potentially perceive newer truths.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm with CC. Richard the III was brilliant. Bronte mentioned Henry V (the play is stunning, and Kenneth Branaugh's adaptation is a must-see).

However, I recall reading "A Midsummer Night's Dream" in middle school during study hall.... (I know. Nerdy.) and actually laughing out loud (I know. Nerdy.) It was so funny and brightly paced (I know. Intolerably nerdy.) One of our teachers looked over my shoulder to see what I was reading, took a hard sideways glance, shook her head like "Nerdy..."

tenINsFJ

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w9
I'm with CC. Richard the III was brilliant. Bronte mentioned Henry V (the play is stunning, and Kenneth Branaugh's adaptation is a must-see).

However, I recall reading "A Midsummer Night's Dream" in middle school during study hall.... (I know. Nerdy.) and actually laughing out loud (I know. Nerdy.) It was so funny and brightly paced (I know. Intolerably nerdy.) One of our teachers looked over my shoulder to see what I was reading, took a hard sideways glance, shook her head like "Nerdy..."

Yeah Hamlet is my fav too. Seems like that's the most common one so far.

Lol @ PP - awesome anecdote, made me laugh.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah Hamlet is my fav too. Seems like that's the most common one so far.

I never read "Hamlet" without bearing the silly and repetitive hope that Laertes will kill that uppity punk this time. Surely THIS time!! lol *head shake* I don't cope well with unsatisfying endings. I'm selectively amnesiac. :D

Lol @ PP - awesome anecdote, made me laugh.

Yeah. Mousy little me. :blush: I was very much to myself then. Glasses, no make-up and crooked teeth, anyone? I graduated my 8th grade class with the highest grade point average. I aimed for that because popularity and "fitting in" there? - not happening!

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I saw Troillus and Cresida recently. It was pretty good and laugh out loud funny. Seemed very modern - that might have just been the production.
I like Twelth Night too. That whole androgyny thing is pretty sexy.

But yeah, Hamlet kicks ass.

Also, The Scottish Play, deserves honourable mention. (Because it's Scottish).
If Hamlet is to INTP,
What do you mean by that?

Nerdy.

I had to do MSND in 4th yr. I liked the chick mud-wrestling bit but the rest was wacko.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I think my favorite was "Julius Caesar" for some reason. I'm not sure why, it could just be nostalgia... but I do remember seeing a lot of meaning in it.

tenINsFJ

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w9
I guess no one liked Macbeth? I really liked that one a lot.
"Fair is foul and foul is fair."
I love it.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Romeo and Juliet.

So common but what can I say? I most enjoy love stories.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Othello's Iago.

Favorite character in all of literature.

Still uncertain as to his motives -- a vast intellect is unencumbered by empathy/humility - essentially, the best parts about being human.

Enviable, yet wretched mind.

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
Hamlet is my favorite and Richard III is pretty damn good as well.

Shakespeare... :wub:

EDIT: I am attempting to do work right now but will come back with reasonings behind why these plays are my favorite and why Shakespeare was a god amongst men. :yes:

Richard III! Yeah! I also really like The Merchant of Venice, Much Ado About Nothing, Hamlet, and Macbeth.

Romeo and Juliet.

So common but what can I say? I most enjoy love stories.

But Romeo and Juliet is a play about ridiculous, stupid teenagers... not love.

tenINsFJ

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w9
But Romeo and Juliet is a play about ridiculous, stupid teenagers... not love.

Yup, one might say there was romance there, but no love, just infatuation.

Othello's Iago.

Favorite character in all of literature.

Still uncertain as to his motives -- a vast intellect is unencumbered by empathy/humility - essentially, the best parts about being human.

Enviable, yet wretched mind.

Agreed, Iago's character is very crafty. Although there are some logical guesses for his motives, however circumstantial..

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
Yup, one might say there was romance there, but no love, just infatuation.

lol, I'm so disdainful of Romeo & Juliet the characters that my kids TOTALLY GET that, too. I drop in little comments like, "So, here is Romeo, hopping the Capulet's wall to go and spy on this chick who he has now known for all of an hour and a half! And what will they talk about but MARRIAGE! Hope you guys are smarter than they are!"

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Macbeth popped my Shakespearean cherry, needless to say, I liked it very much.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
I took three Shakespeare classes in college and discovered that I was very good at interpreting Shakespeare. As a (secret) lover of gore I was delighted to encounter "A Spanish Tragedy."

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
I liked "King Lear" best. Irrationality and family, an ever interesting topic. :)
Favourite movie version is Kenneth Branagh's "Much Ado About Nothing".