• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Gun Appreciation Thread

Rainman

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
Anything you'd like to say about guns.

I'll begin with a personal favourite: the Desert Eagle .50
deserteagle.jpg

She's a beaut.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
though im pseudo-pacifist, that is one beautiful gun.
i second that

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I've always wanted to take a class on rifles. I loved firing my grandfather's bolt action .22 at targets. However Connecticut is a terrible to place to own firearms, nowhere to shoot them.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
The closest thing to a gun I've had is a bb gun.... but, tommy guns are effin cool.

tommy%20gun.jpg

92954878_51b4dc6c56.jpg

B

ByMySword

I've been getting back into muzzleloading and reenacting lately, so I've been looking at dueling pistols a lot.

h2_1986.265.1,2.jpg

Now thats beautiful craftsmanship. :yes:

Also been looking at some double-action revolvers. I like this one. The Smith and Wesson Model 22 in .45 ACP with a case-color hardened frame. I think the case-hardening really brings it to life.

150187_large.jpg

And I've been looking at Tennessee Valley Muzzleloaders for a new long rifle. Here's some of the ones I've been looking at. I like the Southern Rifle, which is the 5th one down in this picture, but I'm not sure. This picture isn't the greatest.

matt.jpg

B

ByMySword

So, I've been really wanting to make my Bersa look nice. I know its a cheap handgun and all, and I'm planning on getting many better ones in the future, but I don't know, I just love all my guns. I love all my weapons in general. They're an extension of me, you know? Traditionally, I love wood grips on my guns.

Rather, I usually hate anything composite, like polymer, plastic, faux pearl and ivory. The only guns I'll accept composite grips on so far are more tactical modern weapons such as the Beretta M9, AR-15, H&K MP5, etc. Those are fine and are made to be composite. There's also a Mossburg Shotgun designed for self-defense (hence the name, the defender, lol) that I don't mind with composite grips.

The rest of the time, I prefer wood, ivory, pearl, horn, stag, and steel grips. Oh, and I also love rubber grips. Rubber is natural, after all. ;) And its also more durable and more comfortable than hard composite grips. I actually would love to have rubber sleeve grips to fit over my regular grips in more tactical shooting scenarios.

I'm the same way with holsters, belts, etc. I prefer leather, not nylon. I guess I'm just old fashioned. It doesn't mean I don't like these materials at all, I just prefer the former.

To me, too much plastic and nylon take away the art of the firearm and leave it as purely functional, and thats fine to a point. Like I said, some firearms, I prefer the modern tactical look.

But when, I look at a weapon, I need to be inspired to carry it, use it, etc. And I want others to see the work that went into it to make it so graceful. To me, the craftmanship of natural materials such as wood and leather do that more.

Well, the Bersa Thunder .380 has a lot of composite materials on it, including composite grips and trigger. I mean, I can understand the grips. You can change those. But the trigger? Really? What happens if it breaks? lol

Originally, I was going to keep it as is, grips and all, along with the nylon concealment holster I got for it. Fucking Hurricane Ike has delayed the DPS from processing mine and Metamorphosis' CHLs, so I can only carry it in my truck right now, though I usually don't.

Well, I went to this website and saw some limited edition wood grips for the Bersa and I thought they were rather nice. At first, I didn't like it, to be honest. But after looking at it for awhile, it kind of grew on me. Only $35, too. Also, on the same site, I found a Bianchi Leather inside the pants holster for $45. So I'm planning on getting these. Thought I'd post some pics up of the Bersa, as well as the wood grips, and the holster. Let me know what you think. I'm open to criticism of my tastes in the society that is all about plastic Glocks. ;)

Bersa_Thunder_380_L.jpg

woodgrips.jpg

ProfessionalHolster.jpg

Edit: Sorry if I'm ruling this thread.........eh, no I'm not. I told you I'd participate Rainman. :hi:

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
I bet the psychological effect in a gunfight would be extraordinary.

hypothetically, i think that would depend on whether your opponents knew anything about firearms... it could have the opposite effect :D

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Desert Eagles are silly range/movie guns.

hypothetically, i think that would depend on whether your opponents knew anything about firearms... it could have the opposite effect
Exactly. If someone pulls a DE on you, it's a near guarantee that they won't be able to hit you if you just move around a little. Because they don't know much about firearms.

I have a Glock 19, and a lot of research and thought went into the decision. It's compact, light, reliable, ergonomic, and easy to use under stress--The time when being able to use a gun is most important.

I sold my HK USP45 to buy it, which just never felt natural in my hand.

B

ByMySword

hypothetically, i think that would depend on whether your opponents knew anything about firearms... it could have the opposite effect :D

I don't know. Thats like saying a semi-automatic shotgun has more of a psychological effect than a pump shotgun.

Even if you know the semi-automatic has a higher rate of fire, the sound of a pump shotgun has been proven to instill fear in anyone. I know it would me.

In a gunfight, knowledge fades. Its pure instinct.

That sound has been programmed to instill fear in us by cinema and tv. Same with large and powerful guns in general.

Thats one of the main reasons why law enforcement still maintains its use of pump shotguns.

Besides, a Desert Eagle, while a large and heavy handgun, could still be used effectively. It just depends on what caliber it comes in. The Desert Eagle ranges in caliber, from .357 Magnum to .50 Action Express.

While the .50 would definitely be too much, I could definitely get used to the .357 or the .44 Mag. And the fact that its so big would probably mean the gun absorbs most of the recoil, allowing for a steadier hand and more accurate shots.

Of course, I haven't shot one yet personally, so I wouldn't know about the recoil.

B

ByMySword

Desert Eagles are silly range/movie guns.

For the most part, yes, they're not used by military or law enforcement.

They're used mainly for sport, target shooting, and hunting. :yes:

Still a neat gun. I hope to have one someday.

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP
The M1911 is my personal pistol of choice, although I've shot a few others. Can't wait to move out of NJ so I can actually shoot/carry/own weapons without the draconian laws and hassle required to get this one.

I'd like to pick up a nice rifle soon as well, although that's probably waiting until I get out of state (Aiming to move to VT or NH.)

Also, this being the Gun Thread, Lord of War is a great movie. For a nice piece of trivia about it, the scene where they're walking through the warehouse of AK-47s, they bought real ones, because they were cheaper than making props...

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
While the .50 would definitely be too much, I could definitely get used to the .357 or the .44 Mag. And the fact that its so big would probably mean the gun absorbs most of the recoil, allowing for a steadier hand and more accurate shots.

Of course, I haven't shot one yet personally, so I wouldn't know about the recoil.
I haven't either, but its weight is a tactical drawback. Caliber effectiveness can be argued, and a defense load in .357 is nothing to sneeze at. But if you can get three 9mm off (Say with the G19, which is exceptionally suited to rapid fire) and on target for every one in .357 though, which wouldn't be difficult, it's outweighed. Even for a nightstand gun, no one uses something like a DE, for good reason. A 4" Taurus revolver in .357 would be superior.

B

ByMySword

The M1911 is my personal pistol of choice, although I've shot a few others.

As far as semi-automatics go, I agree. Although every time I shoot it, I have to get used to the recoil all over again.

I would say that it does suck as far as concealed carry goes. You can do it, of course, but it can get to be a hassle.

My father carries his concealed and he agrees that it can become uncomfortable.

Best thing to do if you're going to carry it concealed is to get a compact version. It'll probably be much easier.

I'm probably going to get one of those, as well as a standard and a long-slide model.

Also, this being the Gun Thread, Lord of War is a great movie. For a nice piece of trivia about it, the scene where they're walking through the warehouse of AK-47s, they bought real ones, because they were cheaper than making props...

Loved the guns. The movie was.....ok.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
All I know is the M9 Beretta is not my handgun of choice. I haven't gotten to play around with any arms outside of the ones the military provide me with. It doesn't feel natural, it's heavy and the magazines are SUCH a pain in the ass to load.

I can say if you all get the chance to fire a 240B you should. I had a lot of fun with that weapon, and it's almost too easy to operate and aim (In my personal experience I liked it better than the M249 SAW) for the amount of damage it's capable of dealing.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I can say if you all get the chance to fire a 240B you should. I had a lot of fun with that weapon, and it's almost too easy to operate and aim (In my personal experience I liked it better than the M249 SAW) for the amount of damage it's capable of dealing.
But unless you work for the gov't, it's a bit difficult to get your hands on one.