• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Gun Appreciation Thread

B

ByMySword

I haven't either, but its weight is a tactical drawback.

Depends on the shooter.

But if you can get three 9mm off (Say with the G19, which is exceptionally suited to rapid fire) and on target for every one in .357 though, which wouldn't be difficult, it's outweighed.

Thats the same as saying if you can get one .357 on target for every 3 shots with a 9mm.

It wouldn't be difficult to shoot somone once with a .357 either, since if you're at the point of pulling your pistol, the assailant is probably pretty close.

If your aim is good, all you'd need is one shot. :huh:

I don't have anything against the 9mm by far, but I hate how everyone assumes its the best caliber to get. Its basically like saying quantity over quality, imo.

In reality, the caliber stated to be the best for self-defense would probably be the .40 S&W. It gives the perfect balance between the 9mm and larger calibers such as the .45 ACP.

Even for a nightstand gun, no one uses something like a DE, for good reason. A 4" Taurus revolver in .357 would be superior.

I'm just saying that it could be used in the hands of someone who was familiar with it. I agree its impractical.

But its the same as saying that a .22 pistol could be used effectively in the right hands. Hell, Masaad and the mafia proved that one. :jew:

And yeah, I'd love a Taurus. :nice:

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
But its the same as saying that a .22 pistol could be used effectively in the right hands. Hell, Masaad and the mafia proved that one.
That's a different issue. If you're hiding in the shadows waiting to take out a known target, there are actual advantages to a .22 over larger rounds. In self defense, when you don't know when and how a threat will arise, it's dreadful.

B

ByMySword

That's a different issue. If you're hiding in the shadows waiting to take out a known target, there are actual advantages to a .22 over larger rounds. In self defense, when you don't know when and how a threat will arise, it's dreadful.

.22 calibers were used in the Civil War on open battlefields.

And during the Masaad operations against Black September, there were several open gunfights where .22s where used.

Also, there are people with smaller hands, such as women, who carry .22s as self defense weapons. Look at the Beretta Bobcat. Its kickass.

I'm not saying its ideal at all, but what I'm saying is in the hands of a skilled gunfighter, he can use what he has to be effective.

As for the .22 caliber, if I was going to use one for self defense, I'd prefer Stingers. :devil:

B

ByMySword

So were smoothbore muskets.

I have one and its suprisingly accurate. :yes:

I don't know, if it's me, I'll take the most appropriate choice...

Obviously, so would I.

But don't underestimate any weapon's effectiveness under the right circumstances or in the hands of someone familiar with it.

Thats all I'm saying. :nice:

MetalWounds

More human than human
MBTI Type
TP
Enneagram
9w8
I've shot everything from a .22LR to a .50 cal Machine gun, but my favorite still has to be my Winchester 30-30 Lever.

B

ByMySword

I've shot everything from a .22LR to a .50 cal Machine gun, but my favorite still has to be my Winchester 30-30 Lever.

Hell yeah!!!!!!!!!

Winchester 1894 motherfucker!!!!!!!!!!! :2ar15:

The original smokeless powder cartridge!!!!!!!!!!

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
A .22 isn't as bad as a lot of people think, though. The basically zero recoil is a big advantage for people with very little shooting experience and it's potential lack of exit wound and internal ricochet damage can cause problems. Also, you severely limit your potential for shooting someone else on accident, either by missing or going through the first person to hit the second.

With that said, I probably wouldn't want anything less than a .40 or .45, although a 9mm would work. Of course, the best home defense weapon would be a shotgun, so it's really irrelevant.

It's kind of like comparing the 5.56x45 round with the 7.62x39. The latter produces much larger wounds and has obvious advantages in many occasions, but the former has a propensity for tumbling upon impact which can cause major internal damage.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
.22 LR is known to overpenetrate, or so I've heard. 9mm JHP is well balanced in ballistics and ease of use. I looked at tons of studies before I decided to get a 9, I could've easily gone .40.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Other than training in the military, I never spent much time around guns. They're cool, but not a fascination or hobby of mine. I will own a small pistol when I'm back in the civilian world and living on my own.

Shooting the .50 Cal was fun. ;)

B

ByMySword

A .22 isn't as bad as a lot of people think, though. The basically zero recoil is a big advantage for people with very little shooting experience and it's potential lack of exit wound and internal ricochet damage can cause problems. Also, you severely limit your potential for shooting someone else on accident, either by missing or going through the first person to hit the second.

Good point. I had completely forgotten to mention the ricochet effect. :nice:

With that said, I probably wouldn't want anything less than a .40 or .45, although a 9mm would work. Of course, the best home defense weapon would be a shotgun, so it's really irrelevant.

Agreed. And yet here we are with .380s. :doh:

I want to find a gun that I like that comes in .40.

.45s are awesome, but other than the 1911 compact or the S&W Model 22, I don't know if I can think of any that I could carry concealed very well. And the Model 22 would probably be pushing it.

Of course, I have several pistols of larger calibers, but none that would be good for concealed carry.

S

Sniffles

I'm hoping to get a vintage Mosin-Nagant rifle soon:
Mosin%20Nagant%20Sniper.jpg

B

ByMySword

^^^^I almost got one last year, but I had to buy Christmas presents instead.

Surplus ones are $150 at Gander Mountain. Very good condition.

I love that gun.

I wish they'd bring back the Springfield 1903, though. :(

SA1400A.JPG

Hexis

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
These are on my wish list but not sure if its gona happen, damn youz Santa!

f95a.jpg