• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Gun Appreciation Thread

BigSwede

MBTI Type
ENFp
1268465642869.jpg

I'd have to say that my all time favourite is the M14 SOCOM. Especially the specific mod that is in this picture. It is, in my humble opinion, one of the best looking rifle's ever created. That coupled together with it's excellent performance makes it stand well above the average. The Swede is in love...

professor goodstain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7~7
1268465642869.jpg

I'd have to say that my all time favourite is the M14 SOCOM. Especially the specific mod that is in this picture. It is, in my humble opinion, one of the best looking rifle's ever created. That coupled together with it's excellent performance makes it stand well above the average. The Swede is in love...
with the optic set that far back, someone is going to experience what is known as 'rasberry eye' soon

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
with the optic set that far back, someone is going to experience what is known as 'rasberry eye' soon

Depends. The distance between the cheek guard and the scope is a wee bit close, but as long as you don't deliberately hold your eye too close, it should be okay.
It's too close for my personal taste, though.

Edit: the eye is fooled by how bulky the carbon stock is... The distance between cheek guard and scope is probably greater than you'd think.
I'm thinking this way, at least.

BigSwede

MBTI Type
ENFp
Depends. The distance between the cheek guard and the scope is a wee bit close, but as long as you don't deliberately hold your eye too close, it should be okay.
It's too close for my personal taste, though.

Edit: the eye is fooled by how bulky the carbon stock is... The distance between cheek guard and scope is probably greater than you'd think.
I'm thinking this way, at least.

Aye, that's basically what I figured aswell. Of course I haven't seen this rifle IRL so I cant really tell.

man

MBTI Type
IntP
Enneagram
=)
i really like guns i just wish they didnt kill people!!!

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
i really like guns i just wish they didnt kill people!!!

Guns don't kill people, people have always killed people.
Guns or nae, the killing has been done with rocks, swords, axes, bows, frying pans, knives, vegetables, poison, pieces of wood, pipes and everything imaginable since the very dawn of time.

It is intentions that kill people. Guns don't make it any easier.
In fact, guns make our society secure, because they are so heavily regulated and if you find the bullet you can see which gun it has been fired from and catch the bad guy.
Besides, governments will always have more guns than organized crime. Well, almost. And armies. That makes life harder for the scum.
Besides, gun killings are loud. It is bound to be noticed.
For example, tranquelizer/knife murders where the assailant quietly goes about his business and gets rid of the body are much harder to solve.

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
I want a gun to protect myself with. Unfortunately it's illegal in the Netherlands.

O

Oberon

I want a gun to protect myself with. Unfortunately it's illegal in the Netherlands.

Oh, don't be afraid, Kat... harming young women is also illegal in the Netherlands. Therefore you're perfectly safe, right?

/sarcasm

ObeyBunny

MBTI Type
INTJ
Guns don't kill people, people have always killed people.
Guns or nae, the killing has been done with rocks, swords, axes, bows, frying pans, knives, vegetables, poison, pieces of wood, pipes and everything imaginable since the very dawn of time.

It is intentions that kill people. Guns don't make it any easier.
In fact, guns make our society secure, because they are so heavily regulated and if you find the bullet you can see which gun it has been fired from and catch the bad guy.
Besides, governments will always have more guns than organized crime. Well, almost. And armies. That makes life harder for the scum.
Besides, gun killings are loud. It is bound to be noticed.
For example, tranquelizer/knife murders where the assailant quietly goes about his business and gets rid of the body are much harder to solve.

Are you paraphrasing a certain ranting gryphon?

eagleseven

MBTI Type
INTJ
For practical carry, I like the Ruger LCP in .380 ACP. I have no intention of joining a multi-man shootout, so this six-round pocket-gun serves its purpose.

It has quite a kick, hence the nickname "Noisy Cricket" from MIB.

RugerLCP2.jpg

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
I buy and shoot reloaded ammo.

I would like to reload but the time required to do it is greater than the reward for me at this point. I've got some brass saved for the purpose, though. You do reload, I assume?

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
Do you do those just because you enjoy them or do you find that the benefits really outweigh the time/cost expenditure?

O

Oberon

Do you do those just because you enjoy them or do you find that the benefits really outweigh the time/cost expenditure?

Cost?

For reloading: My used single-stage reloading press (a Texan) cost me $25 on e-Bay. Dies run typically $30 the set for Lee, which are good quality dies. Powder is between $20 and $30 per pound for the common types, which are all you need. Primers are about $30 per thousand.

For bullet casting: A brand new 20-pound Lee lead pot will run $75 more or less, and bullet molds range between $20 and $60 depending on what you're getting... used Lyman molds on e-Bay are the best bargain, typically $30 or so with handles included for a two-cavity mold. You can size and lube with a sizing set from Lee that mounts on that single-stage press for under $25, or for about a C-note you can get yourself a Lyman lubrisizer. I cast bullets from used wheel weights I get free from tire shops.

Cost savings: A box of factory .45 ACP ammunition from Remington or Winchester is somewhere north of $20 per box now, retail. When I reload with cast bullets, I can generate an equivalent box of reloaded ammunition for under $4. At that rate, it doesn't take long to make your expenses back.

In the meantime, it has become not only a fun hobby, but also a source of extra income. People buy my bullets (not reloaded cartridges, just the cast bullets). So yeah, I do it for the fun and for the money.

O

Oberon

It has also been a source of some minor professional accomplishment... I have designed bullets before.

B

ByMySword

I give this thread... LIFE!!!

Anybody here reload their own ammo?

I reload my own ammo. I have a Rock Chucker single stage press.

So far, I've only reloaded .44 WCF and .45-70 both in smokeless and black powder. I save all of my brass though for the time when I have dies for all of my various ammo.