• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Gun Appreciation Thread

O

Oberon

Since this is the "gun appreciation thread," I'll get back on topic with this post.

I have one of these:

model1955target.jpg

That would be a Smith & Wesson model 1955 Target, or a Model 25-2. It's in nearly pristine condition, too. I don't shoot it as much as I'd like.

That reminds me... I need to put up some .45 ACP ammo...

AOA

♣️♦️♠️♥️
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I deny shooting someone to death in an instant.

... I would use tranquilizers, instead.

MK-22 and Beretta M9.

(Come with suppressor-fire, to mute firing.)

d@v3

Perfect Gentleman! =D
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Springfield, Model 700 ;)- this is kind of like my 700. Mine is wood though and probably a not the same calibre as this rifle.

Remington_Model_700.JPG

O

Oberon

d@v3, don't you mean it's a milspec Remington model 700?

I'm a tad confused... I didn't think Springfield Armory was making bolt guns from scratch these days.

d@v3

Perfect Gentleman! =D
MBTI Type
ISTJ
d@v3, don't you mean it's a milspec Remington model 700?

I'm a tad confused... I didn't think Springfield Armory was making bolt guns from scratch these days.

RIGHT! :doh: You are right, Remington! My mistake.

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
An ISTJ that wants the Army/Marine Corp sniper rifle.

Typical. :D

I think I want to buy a lot of old military surplus rifles - the kind that you buy a set of 5 or so and they are all coated with pounds of cosmoline. Clean em up and sell 4, keep one for myself. I'm cheap.

I've never done it before but I've read a lot about cosmoline stripping online, doesn't seem too hard.

-------------
EDIT
FYI cosmoline is a rifle preservative. It's a lot like Vaseline - a sorta gross, sticky, gooey, petrol based slop that they melt and brush all over the rifle/dip the rifle in a vat of it before the stick it into deep storage. The stuff works great - keeps 60 year old rifles rust free and protects the stock, but it's a pain to get off.

d@v3

Perfect Gentleman! =D
MBTI Type
ISTJ
An ISTJ that wants the Army/Marine Corp sniper rifle.

Typical. :D

I think I want to buy a lot of old military surplus rifles - the kind that you buy a set of 5 or so and they are all coated with pounds of cosmoline. Clean em up and sell 4, keep one for myself. I'm cheap.

I've never done it before but I've read a lot about cosmoline stripping online, doesn't seem too hard.

-------------
EDIT
FYI cosmoline is a rifle preservative. It's a lot like Vaseline - a sorta gross, sticky, gooey, petrol based slop that they melt and brush all over the rifle/dip the rifle in a vat of it before the stick it into deep storage. The stuff works great - keeps 60 year old rifles rust free and protects the stock, but it's a pain to get off.

No no no Bamboo. That IS my rifle- (mine is the same model, but probably a different caliber, but it has the bipod and all) Mine is sitting here next to me on the floor I just need to clean it because I was out in the rain with it and I have OCD when it comes to my guns :rofl1: , I keep them CLEAN! :yes:

On a different note I thought some of you would find this amusing, LOL!:
gun_control_works2.JPG

d@v3

Perfect Gentleman! =D
MBTI Type
ISTJ
^ Bad ass. My dad and I are planning a guided dove hunt for this fall. :D

That's awesome! You will definitely enjoy it. :yes: I don't think I have ever been upland though. I have always wanted to go but the pheasant population around here is low and there aren't many doves or grouse either. :( What gauge gun are you planning on using? :huh: I heard the old Ithaca 16's were the best because of their light weight, sadly though you don't see many 16's anymore. I have always wanted to get my hands on one! :D

B

ByMySword

That's awesome! You will definitely enjoy it. :yes: I don't think I have ever been upland though. I have always wanted to go but the pheasant population around here is low and there aren't many doves or grouse either. :( What gauge gun are you planning on using? :huh: I heard the old Ithaca 16's were the best because of their light weight, sadly though you don't see many 16's anymore. I have always wanted to get my hands on one! :D

Probably going to use my Stoeger SxS 12 guage. Its a beauty. :wubbie:

d@v3

Perfect Gentleman! =D
MBTI Type
ISTJ
I have renewed my membership in the NRA today, and I'm glad I did it. I am in the process of applying for a pistol permit and it is VERY difficult to get one in New York State. I have been heavily researching the correlation of gun bans and gun crime rates. Indeed, countries with gun bans generally have a higher rate of crime than countries that have handguns available. On a scale of 1-10 (10 being the most difficult) it is probably an 8 or 9. [Wisconsin and Illinois *cough* Obama *cough* ;), are perfect 10's :rolli:]

I'll probably post more about this in my blog. It's too bad this thread died. :-/ Here are some webpages for anyone who is interested to look at :D :

NRA-ILA ::
NRA-ILA State Laws ::
NRA-ILA Armed Citizens ::
Gun politics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (Notice Norway and Switzerland :yes:)

mortabunt

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Enneagram
I have no issue with guns. I actually would like to get a few of my own once I'm old enough. Prticuarly a kalashnikov and something like a lupara.

B

ByMySword

I'm taking my Winchester 1866 and my two Remington 1875's to Beaumont soon to get an action job done on all of them.

The springs will be replaced with better, stronger ones and the action will be much smoother, allowing for prolonged shooting, such as competing in a CAS shoot. :D

The action on my 1866 got all messed up following the last shoot I went to. These guns just weren't meant to be shot straight for 8 hours. We'll fix that. :devil:

1866-short-rifle-20-in.jpg

Winchester 1866 Improved Henry "Yellowboy". Dispute is out that this is the real "Gun that Won the West" rather than the stereotypical Winchester 1873. This rifle was popular with the Native Americans, who gave it the "Yellowboy" nickname. This is the short rifle version. Mine has a 24" barrel and is chambered in .44 WCF. This gun is the best gun I've ever shot open sighted. Its buckhorn sights easily sight right on target and the weight is ideal for a rifle. The only thing I don't like about it is the lack of a dust cover, which wasn't seen until the 1873. Due to the lack of a cover, dust very often gets in the action, so I have to keep it well oiled and wiped down regularly. Other than that, I couldn't ask for a better rifle. In fact, this model has been found in Al Qaeda weapons caches on a regular basis. 19th Century technology shooting right into the 21st!!! Ooorah!!!! :2ar15:

15483032.Model1875Remington.jpg

This is the Remington 1875 "Outlaw". This was Remington's answer to the Colt 1873 Model P "Peacemaker". This gun, while never as popular as Colt due to its extended grip, which makes it considerably more difficult to cock with speed, was a heavier made gun with a harder case frame. Because of this, Remington's tended to withstand the harsh treatment on the frontier better than Colt's "Peacemaker". Originally chambered in .44 REM, in 1878, this gun was chambered in .44 WCF, which is what I have it in. This gun was known to have been favored by the James boys. Especially Frank. In 1890, Remington unleashed the Remington 1890 model in .44 WCF. The only difference between it and the 1875 was its standard 5 1/2" barrel and the removal of the webbing under the barrel, which in my opinion, gave the "Outlaw" some character and class that could not be mistaken. The 1890 never grew to the popularity of the "Outlaw", and thus, Remington was forced out of the revolver race by Colt and continued to manufacture shotguns and rifles unto present day. This is the pistol I hold in my profile picture. :D