User Tag List

12 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Male Gaze Comix

  1. #1
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    BELF
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    46,636

    Default Male Gaze Comix

    Yeah, so this happened.

    A Spider-Man comic book illustrator lashed out at a Tumblr user who edited his cover to be less sexual. It unearthed a brewing culture war.

    It's interesting to see the various comments from either side about it.

    But frankly Campbell is a flake. I remember when he was the "new big thing" because I think he won a contest or something (I could be off there, it's been many many years, maybe it was Gen 13 he came in on? Again... so many years ago), and ended up trying to start his own book (Danger Girls -- sexy girl spies) but flaked out because he couldn't keep up with the publishing schedule. He started because he was drawing pin-ups, and ongoing claim to fame again seemed to be from drawing pin-ups even when he got some high-profile assignments. I haven't really paid much attention to him until this bit, so maybe he's improved a bit since then.

    But seriously -- it does make you wonder if he knows any women in real life or if he is only watching models and social media influencers. He's good at pin-ups, I suppose. I'd rather have Terry Moore or a Chris Bachalo or a host of other artists draw women. Even Adam Hughes could do pin-ups at times, but generally they still seemed like real women and mostly respectable. This kind of crap from Campbell -- seriously, 95% of women don't look like that, and sitting like that when you're supposedly alone drinking coffee in your house? Seriously? That's a pose just meant to get google-eyes. it looks impossibly uncomfortable -- the way she's sitting on her leg, the inverse locking of the arms, the hip/waist/torso tilt. Geez.



    I mean, whatever he wants to draw -- fine. But at least own it. At least MJ on the right has actual human proportions.

    All I can remember is that he's the same guy who basically tried to transition from being a pin-up artist to a comic-book artist and kept flaking out, and he's still insecure. Again, look at Adam Hughes as a counter example, he owns his work and feels like he's trying to improve as an artist regularly.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"
    "You can't take a picture of this, it's already gone." ~ "Six Feet Under"
    Likes The Cat liked this post

  2. #2
    All Good Things...
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    23,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Totenkindly View Post
    Yeah, so this happened.

    A Spider-Man comic book illustrator lashed out at a Tumblr user who edited his cover to be less sexual. It unearthed a brewing culture war.

    It's interesting to see the various comments from either side about it.

    But frankly Campbell is a flake. I remember when he was the "new big thing" because I think he won a contest or something (I could be off there, it's been many many years, maybe it was Gen 13 he came in on? Again... so many years ago), and ended up trying to start his own book (Danger Girls -- sexy girl spies) but flaked out because he couldn't keep up with the publishing schedule. He started because he was drawing pin-ups, and ongoing claim to fame again seemed to be from drawing pin-ups even when he got some high-profile assignments. I haven't really paid much attention to him until this bit, so maybe he's improved a bit since then.

    But seriously -- it does make you wonder if he knows any women in real life or if he is only watching models and social media influencers. He's good at pin-ups, I suppose. I'd rather have Terry Moore or a Chris Bachalo or a host of other artists draw women. Even Adam Hughes could do pin-ups at times, but generally they still seemed like real women and mostly respectable. This kind of crap from Campbell -- seriously, 95% of women don't look like that, and sitting like that when you're supposedly alone drinking coffee in your house? Seriously? That's a pose just meant to get google-eyes. it looks impossibly uncomfortable -- the way she's sitting on her leg, the inverse locking of the arms, the hip/waist/torso tilt. Geez.



    I mean, whatever he wants to draw -- fine. But at least own it. At least MJ on the right has actual human proportions.

    All I can remember is that he's the same guy who basically tried to transition from being a pin-up artist to a comic-book artist and kept flaking out, and he's still insecure. Again, look at Adam Hughes as a counter example, he owns his work and feels like he's trying to improve as an artist regularly.
    yeah, tbh i just viewed the original as the transistional work of a pin up artist trying to break into comics. totally unrealistic but not really any different than some stylistic disney choices between their fairy tale movies in the old days. there's a certain aesthetic appeal but it can be immersion breaking if your expecting something different. I was like that with cell shaded vg at first, and more simplistic animation style in cartoons. but like I grew out of it; and i can appreciate the differing aesthetics.I like the tumblr redo too; it would be preffered for me to be engaged in the comic outside of a pin up exhibition.

    Im really not looking forward to this culture war. sexy comes in pretty much every shape and size apart from fascists lol people let artist make pin up mj, let a fan make non pin up mj


  3. #3
    We can be heroes Doctor Anaximander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    MBTI
    TiSi
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    19,176

    Default

    even the MJ pose on the right doesn't look super comfortable. Like, wouldn't her legs fall asleep after sitting in that position for too long? But it is an improvement on the left.

    I'm all for less idealized depictions of women in comics and super hero media, though I'd like to see that extend to males too, some of whom look hilariously roided out. It all sets an unrealistic physical ideal that most young people will never be able to attain, and will only feel more inadequate for failing to live up to.
    You and whose army?

    Blogs:

    Apeiron

    Dr. Anaximander's Used Music Bin

  4. #4
    Guardian of Ga'Hoole Julius_Van_Der_Beak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None
    Posts
    16,384

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Anaximander View Post
    even the MJ pose on the right doesn't look super comfortable. Like, wouldn't her legs fall asleep after sitting in that position for too long? But it is an improvement on the left.

    I'm all for less idealized depictions of women in comics and super hero media, though I'd like to see that extend to males too, some of whom look hilariously roided out. It all sets an unrealistic physical ideal that most young people will never be able to attain, and will only feel more inadequate for failing to live up to.
    I definitely get that this isn't the point of this discussion at all (it's not really about what I think), but just as an observation, I find MJ on the right to be much more attractive than the one on the left, which just looks really artificial. I'm curious about how a lot of men got the "idea" (I'm sure it goes deeper than that) that the woman on the left is more attractive. Porn? Airbrushing in magazines? Celebrity plastic surgery? Why would I be programmed differently, especially since lots of people like to talk about how "objective" these things are?

    I guess I wonder what the hell is going on here psychologically/socially.
    A path is made by walking on it.

    -Zhuangzi



  5. #5
    We can be heroes Doctor Anaximander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    MBTI
    TiSi
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    19,176

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Julius_Van_Der_Beak View Post
    I definitely get that this isn't the point of this discussion at all (it's not really about what I think), but just as an observation, I find MJ on the right to be much more attractive than the one on the left, which just looks really artificial. I'm curious about how a lot of men got the "idea" (I'm sure it goes deeper than that) that the woman on the left is more attractive. Porn? Airbrushing in magazines? Celebrity plastic surgery? Why would I be programmed differently, especially since lots of people like to talk about how "objective" these things are?

    I guess I wonder what the hell is going on here psychologically/socially.
    They’re both depicted a bit too porny for my tastes but I prefer the right one
    You and whose army?

    Blogs:

    Apeiron

    Dr. Anaximander's Used Music Bin

  6. #6
    Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    8,414

    Default

    Wasn't this like 12 years ago?



  7. #7
    Guardian of Ga'Hoole Julius_Van_Der_Beak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None
    Posts
    16,384

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Anaximander View Post
    They’re both depicted a bit too porny for my tastes but I prefer the right one
    The microjaw inverted tear-drop face is still a bit much, I agree. Also, you're right about the pose being awkward. I don't think anyone would hold a cup of hot coffee with their legs like that.
    A path is made by walking on it.

    -Zhuangzi



  8. #8
    All Good Things...
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    23,162

    Default

    MJ never struck me as the kind to really wait up on Peter PArker while he was out spidermaning, she always seemed like she would have a lot going on...

    Likes Totenkindly liked this post

  9. #9
    We can be heroes Doctor Anaximander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    MBTI
    TiSi
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    19,176

    Default

    You and whose army?

    Blogs:

    Apeiron

    Dr. Anaximander's Used Music Bin

  10. #10
    The Memes Justify the End EcK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    738
    Socionics
    ILE None
    Posts
    7,680

    Default

    I prefer the less 'sexy' one, which looks like a real (attractive) human woman. The sexed-up original makes no sense - not believable at all.
    Same reason i get annoyed by 'bikini armor' in RPGs. It's bullshit and breaks immersion.
    “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
    George Orwell

    Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

    “I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

    "Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO