• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Wonder Woman 1984

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I mentioned my thoughts on this film (some of them) in the Random Movie thread, but maybe it's worth more discussion esp since now they are greenlighting a third film.

On first viewing, I was disappointed with this film mainly because of confusing/convoluted plotting where it's difficult to tease out the main concrete goals and action path of characters to get there. Diana really doesn't have a path, she just wanders into the plotting and THEN suddenly has an arc. Barbara Minerva is simply unhappy because she has no potency as a human being, then finds some, and... then refuses to give it up when Diana insists. Maxwell Lord is trying to become all powerful to... what end? Impress his kid? Feel successful? I'm a little unsure of what was driving this.

Basically this is a film without clear goals, so it kind of loses its impetus especially on a character level. I can see what the intended point was for some things but it didn't really work well... along with a bunch of plotting/rationality problems.

Opening sequence back on the island:

The consistency of wishes:

The difficulty of the Wishstone, in a film:

Barbara Minerva:

Steve Rogers

Personally, as a story, I consider it a whiff by Jenkins. Maybe someone else should tackle the writing if they do another film?

Grusdytre

MBTI Type
none
Enneagram
non
I agree with you, I was really disappointed with the story. It was really lame, sad to say. I hope they change the writer for the part 3

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Someone compared it to Batman Forever, which is not high praise. That's the first movie I remember not liking, haha. It's so BLAND.; it didn't come across at al the first time I watched that Batman and Two-Face were supposed to have a history together (of course not, that would have been interesting). The rogues in it are so undercooked; they both do pale imitations .of Jack Nicholson.

I'd actually rather rewatch Batman and Robin.... at least that has Arnold delivering a lot of dumb ice puns and Uma Thurman wearing poison lipstick. It's a stupid, stupid movie but at least it has personality. Batman Forever is just studio execs going "we let Tim Burton get away with too much last time so let's take absolutely no chances on anything." Thurman, Schwarzenegger and whoever played Bane (yes, he's in that) at least try to do their own thing, even if it's dumb as hell.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Poor WW84... people can't even talk about the film, they end up discussing Batman instead in its thread. :D

Firebird 8118

DJ Phoenix
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Poor WW84... people can't even talk about the film, they end up discussing Batman instead in its thread. :D

I heard that WW worked with a literal ball of energy in her hands in one scene (which is awesome, and actually a thing in Reiki and other forms of holistic healing).

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I heard that WW worked with a literal ball of energy in her hands in one scene (which is awesome, and actually a thing in Reiki and other forms of holistic healing).

I don't really recall, honestly.

There was a lot going on that made no sense. One minute she was using a coffee mug trick to turn a jet invisible to escape radar although that would have no effect on radar, another she could lasso lightning bolts to pull herself through the sky, and then she could just fly with her winged armor, and then she was just flying without wings because hey why not, Steve taught her how.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I listened to a podcast where they discussed the film; the script really does sound like an incoherent mess. Is it true that the things Pedro Pascal does only make sense if you remember that he's supposed to be a Donald Trump stand-in?

I mean of course I love Pedro Pascal; he nailed it as my favorite character from ASOIAF in the last great season of GOT, but it sounded like he didn't have that much to work with.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Apparently Maxwell Lord is from the comics. I wonder why they didn't go with Egg Fu?