• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

List of #1 Singles in the UK 90's - Hilarious

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yes, off the great album, The Simpsons Sing The Blues, which contained other stellar moments like Mr. Burns singing "Look At All Those Idiots." :D

It was top ten in radio airplay here in the US, but for some odd reason was not released as a commercial single. Too bad, because it probably would have been a #1 hit here too if they'd released it.

nomadic

mountain surfing
MBTI Type
enfp
^ LOL check this out too!

It was also an international success, being the UK number one single on February 16, 1991, staying there for a further two weeks. The song's success in the UK was remarkable, given that at that time The Simpsons had not yet been shown on British terrestrial television, and wasn't for a further 5 years.

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
I remember it having a more lively chorus. A Gospel vibe. oh well.

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
1990:

Vanilla Ice - "Ice Ice Baby"
1 December for 4 weeks

Nothing, but nothing could possibly have been more obscene than this. At least most appalling hit songs are relatively forgettable. (I can forget them at any rate; even those revolting productions by the Spice Girls are now the dim and distant shade of a nightmare with no further power to harm me.) But THIS excruciating pile of suppurating, vacuous horseshit by a middle-class white wannabe rapper will torture me till the day I die for one reason and one reason only. This reason is *Na nanaa, na nana nana* - "Ice, Ice, BABY." It should actually be a capital crime to play this song.

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
Oh there will be worse songs in the list. See if you can find Mr Blobby.

Edit : yeah this is on the list. YouTube - Mr. Blobby Music Video

:shock:

No, no, NOOOO!

Dear God Almighty, I had forgotten that one until I was stupid enough to look at this thread again. Serves me right I suppose. :BangHead:

But at least it was intended to be an awful novelty song. The abonmination I just mentioned appeared to be taking itself seriously in adittion to having the most irritatingly persisent hook ever devised.

Rajah

Reigning Bologna Princess
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I'm sorry, but did nobody else see this song on the list?!?

1997:

24. Teletubbies - "Teletubbies Say Eh-Oh!"

13 December for 2 weeks

Falcarius

The Unwieldy Clawed One
MBTI Type
COOL

1997:

13 December for 2 weeks

The Christmas number one single in the UK is a somewhat queer 'prestigious' tradition.

Falcarius has it on good authority the Bob the Builder theme song was a Christmas number one hit in 2000, in doing so becoming the best selling single of that year. If that's not bad enough Bob the Builder had another number one with his version of Mambo No. 5 a year later.:shock:

Last edited:

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP

1997:

13 December for 2 weeks

I did. But have you *listened* to the Mr Blobby one? For more than a few seconds?

nomadic

mountain surfing
MBTI Type
enfp
lolz

i don't get why some people think british are "uppity"

how the heck can brits be "uppity" with #1 singles like this???

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That is quite embarrassing.
To be fair, any list of #1 singles is going to reflect English, rather than UK tastes. And we all know when the English aren't being uppity they are being muppety.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
There was some scary stuff in there but these took me to a happy place :D

Snap! - Rhythm is a dancer (8 August 92 for 6 weeks)

The Shamen - Ebeneezer Goode (19 September 92 for 4 weeks)

Than I got bored and stopped looking.

ygolo

My termites win
I keep thinking these should be personals... but enjoyable nonetheless.

ed111

MBTI Type
INTJ
That is quite embarrassing.
To be fair, any list of #1 singles is going to reflect English, rather than UK tastes. And we all know when the English aren't being uppity they are being muppety.

To be fair it's mainly 12 year old girls that buy singles, so I don't think it has anything to do with English, Welsh, Scottish or Irish cultural preferences.

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
To be fair it's mainly 12 year old girls that buy singles, so I don't think it has anything to do with English, Welsh, Scottish or Irish cultural preferences.

I used to think this too, but I asked both my teenage nieces back when they were around 12 whether they listened to *give examples of whatever is at the top of the the charts*... *cue distraught facial expressions, wails of "NOOOOO!"*. I think the kids buying this crap are mostly even younger than that except for the socially/developmentally delayed ones. My experience from working with them suggests that the most important demographic otherwise is Special *ahem* adults. Oh, and there's a certain sort of British (or maybe as you suggest, Bluemonday, English ;)) male in his late teens or twenties who buys the annoying novelty singles (eg Crazy Frog:sick:) to demonstrate his true lameness to all amuse his friends with his inventive wit. I suspect that these three groups by themselves are more than capable of fuelling chart singles sales of, umm, what was it again...? <<<<<<<<<<< than they used to be, that's for sure.