• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Sports Random Thought Thread

Tomb1

Bills need to kick it up a gear for their first game next season...Brian Daboll has to find a way to keep Josh Allen consistent from Week 1-16 as Bills will grind through a tougher regular season schedule.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
*sits in the car, turns the key, and notices the satellite radio set to MadDog Sports*

"And can we just all sit back and marvel the greatness of Tom Brady and making it to his 10th Superbo--"

*cuts radio off and rides in silence the rest of the way to work*

Burning Paradigm

Vibe Curator & Night Owl
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm done with the Texans franchise. I have too much self-respect to deal with an organization that voluntarily mires itself in this much bullshit with its star QB. It's a damn cocaine-fueled clown car driven by a chinless, creepy, bald youth pastor with zero relevant experience and a hypnotic hold on ownership. Fuck this shit.

Ideally, where Deshaun goes, I go (just please don't let it be the Jets, God).

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm done with the Texans franchise. I have too much self-respect to deal with an organization that voluntarily mires itself in this much bullshit with its star QB. It's a damn cocaine-fueled clown car driven by a chinless, creepy, bald youth pastor with zero relevant experience and a hypnotic hold on ownership. Fuck this shit.

Ideally, where Deshaun goes, I go (just please don't let it be the Jets, God).

TIL: Jack Easterby's middle name is Rasputin

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
so how bout that Stafford Goff trade

Rams WAYYYYYYYYYYYY overpaid. Like, horrendously overpaid for an aging quarterback who hasn't proven he can win at the highest level and has had a few injuries. The NFL is turning into the NBA. I mean, my goodness. Goff led them to a Superbowl 3 years ago and was the quarterback of a historically great offensive this season. I also can't believe how callous they were about it, too.

Also, since it seems like a Deshaun Watson trade is imminent. If Matthew Stafford is worth two first rounders and a third, what the fuck is Deshaun Watson worth???

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Rams WAYYYYYYYYYYYY overpaid. Like, horrendously overpaid for an aging quarterback who hasn't proven he can win at the highest level and has had a few injuries. The NFL is turning into the NBA. I mean, my goodness. Goff led them to a Superbowl 3 years ago and was the quarterback of a historically great offensive this season. I also can't believe how callous they were about it, too.

Also, since it seems like a Deshaun Watson trade is imminent. If Matthew Stafford is worth two first rounders and a third, what the fuck is Deshaun Watson worth???

Okay I'm gonna take my hot take of lost respect - I always liked Stafford and think the issue was a terrible, terrible team. However, I don't think he can perform now because he's been beat to absolute death.

Goff is meh. I hate the Rams for many reasons but of recent, it is their penchant for trying to buy a team. They'll never win that way. It is a similar reason I hate the Bucs outside of reasons I usually hate them - they've bought that team. It really is like NBA power team bullshit that I hate.

I originally heard Chicago and was kind of hoping. It is sad to me as Stafford was such a good guy and did a lot for the local community where he was.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
Okay I'm gonna take my hot take of lost respect - I always liked Stafford and think the issue was a terrible, terrible team. However, I don't think he can perform now because he's been beat to absolute death.

Stafford is better than Goff if we're talking purely in terms of talent. My thing is the dude is pretty beat up, and you've heavily leveraged your future on the backs of this beat up aging quarterback. Is Stafford better? Yes. Is he two first round picks and a 3rd round pick's worth better than Jared Goff? Eh, I dunno about that one. I'm just saying, Goff was the quarterback when the Rams had a generationally good offense. Hell, the guy took them to a Superbowl 3 years ago and only lost due to Belichick putting up an herculean effort to hold them to 3 points.

Goff is meh. I hate the Rams for many reasons but of recent, it is their penchant for trying to buy a team. They'll never win that way. It is a similar reason I hate the Bucs outside of reasons I usually hate them - they've bought that team. It really is like NBA power team bullshit that I hate.

It is the NBA-ification of the NFL. Worked for the Lakers last year, so yeah. If Tom Brady wins the Superbowl with this team then my first response will be "well, yeah..". Look at his team? Antonio Brown is their WR3. They've got a collection of superstar free agents on both sides of the ball. Bruce Arians said after they beat Green Bay in the NFC Championship that all it took was one man to change the culture, and while that may be true, this is NOT the same team Jameis Winston had last year.

Burning Paradigm

Vibe Curator & Night Owl
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
One of the crazier endings I've seen lately (start at 6:28). Brooklyn just collapsed. Half the Wizards' wins being against the Nets is just hilarious to me XD

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
Also, if Mahomes wins on Sunday the dude is a first ballot hall of famer at 25 even if he never plays another snap.

Wunjo

Maverick thinker.
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I should stop lifting without any rest day. My biceps and my back make me feel like a 70 year old atm.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't think so in terms of his talent, he's just on a bad contract. Jared Goff is a top 15 QB in the league.

Stig I'm gonna pretend I didn't read this so I can still respect your sports takes. :p

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
Stig I'm gonna pretend I didn't read this so I can still respect your sports takes. :p

I'll take Jared Goff today over Matt Ryan, Ryan Tannehill, Derek Carr, Carson Wentz, Tua. My point is there is a place for Goff as a starter in this league, just not at his current contract. He could go to Chicago right now and immediately be better than Foles or Trubisky. He can go start right now in New Orleans (assuming brees is retiring), Miami, Jacksonville, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh. Honestly, Pittsburgh is where he could be plugged into and immediately make them a team that could compete for a championship.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
If the rams don't have immediate success with Stafford, it will be an indictment on Sean McVay's scheme and Les Snead's horrendous signings: They laid Gurley before they had to, and same with Goff but they also overpaid him. McVay had two stellar seasons when no one saw him coming, but once people learned his scheme they took a noticable decline in production. He hasn't adjusted his scheme at all.

If the Stafford experiment fails, him and Snead are out.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I don't think so in terms of his talent, he's just on a bad contract. Jared Goff is a top 15 QB in the league.

Accurate. Just look at his numbers. Mina Kimes was just having this conversation on Twitter if anyone disputes the claim and needs proof.

I personally wish Matt Stafford the best. The guy is a warrior and he got the shit kicked out of him regularly but kept standing up. Plus he's a very decent person and giving and kind to the city of Detroit.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
Accurate. Just look at his numbers. Mina Kimes was just having this conversation on Twitter if anyone disputes the claim and needs proof.

I personally wish Matt Stafford the best. The guy is a warrior and he got the shit kicked out of him regularly but kept standing up. Plus he's a very decent person and giving and kind to the city of Detroit.

20210201-091004.jpg
[/url]

Just look at the numbers!

Now does he throw some dumbass picks and struggle to read defences? Absolutely. Can that be worked through? I think so. Look at Baker Mayfield until about halfway through this year. In terms of pure throwing of the football, he can throw it just as well as any QB in the league. I think Goff is just being scapegoated for their playoff losses this year, when you have to keep in consideration the dude broke his thumb and has surgery on it but rushed back for the playoffs.

Like I said, if the Stafford experiment fails then McVay and Snead are out for leveraging the Rams future. Stafford is a hell of a Quarterback and an ever better person -- if there was EVER a QB who could've justifiably pouted and pushed his way off the team via trade, it is him.