• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Sports Random Thought Thread

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Same. I probably like the documentaries more than the actual games. 30 for 30 is a really good series if you enjoy those types of documentaries.

I like some 30 for 30 episodes (The Last Dance was amazing if you haven't seen it - do and Made in America won an Oscar) but what I can't stand are these stories of woe and destruction framed as feel good sports stories. College Game Day drives me insane for this reason.

I subscribe to ESPN+ because Dan Lebatard is streamed there but there are some lesser known stories worth watching plus UFC and other things - I think it's worth $5/mo. but ESPN can kick rocks for the most part.

I welcome the Sirius/XM overlords when Dan and ESPN part ways, with open arms.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like some 30 for 30 episodes (The Last Dance was amazing if you haven't seen it - do and Made in America won an Oscar) but what I can't stand are these stories of woe and destruction framed as feel good sports stories. College Game Day drives me insane for this reason.

I subscribe to ESPN+ because Dan Lebatard is streamed there but there are some lesser known stories worth watching plus UFC and other things - I think it's worth $5/mo. but ESPN can kick rocks for the most part.

I welcome the Sirius/XM overlords when Dan and ESPN part ways, with open arms.

I thoroughly enjoyed The Last Dance -- I was pretty young during the MJ era so it definitely helped provide some context for the times.

All 30 for 30s are not created equal. I don't enjoy the one's that try to be half-assed social commentary underneath the guise of a sports documentary. Some of the ones I've enjoyed are the Junior Seau story (that one hit different...), The University of Miami one, The USC/Pete Carroll one, the bad boy detroit pistons one.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
Pittsburgh is 11-0 and I still don't believe in them. They've got two freebies on their schedule with Bungles and the Redskins, and three semi-challenging games versus Cleveland, Tennessee, and Buffalo. I think they'll drop one of those 3 games but they very well could go 16-0 this season. I still don't believe in them as legit challenger to the Chiefs in the AFC. NFC? Who knows. It's wide open.

The most 2020 thing that could possibly happen is the Giants win the NFCLeast and Daniel Jones merges his consciousness with Eli Manning and goes on a tear in the playoffs and makes it to the Superbowl (don't bet on this happening. Seriously, don't. You'll be very disappointed.)

If Patrick Mahomes makes it to another Superbowl he will have put together an undoubtably Hall of Fame career at 25/26 years old. Unbelievable. Barring some catastrophic injury this dude could shatter any and all previous records with the length at which quarterbacks can play at a high level these days.

Burning Paradigm

Vibe Curator & Night Owl
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Pittsburgh is 11-0 and I still don't believe in them. They've got two freebies on their schedule with Bungles and the Redskins, and three semi-challenging games versus Cleveland, Tennessee, and Buffalo. I think they'll drop one of those 3 games but they very well could go 16-0 this season. I still don't believe in them as legit challenger to the Chiefs in the AFC. NFC? Who knows. It's wide open.

The most 2020 thing that could possibly happen is the Giants win the NFCLeast and Daniel Jones merges his consciousness with Eli Manning and goes on a tear in the playoffs and makes it to the Superbowl (don't bet on this happening. Seriously, don't. You'll be very disappointed.)

If Patrick Mahomes makes it to another Superbowl he will have put together an undoubtably Hall of Fame career at 25/26 years old. Unbelievable. Barring some catastrophic injury this dude could shatter any and all previous records with the length at which quarterbacks can play at a high level these days.

Confession: The main reason I'm biased against the Steelers is that I detest Ben Roethlisberger with every bone in my body. That being said, the Steelers have an irritating (irritating to me, at least, if I were a Steelers fan) tendency this season to play down to their competition. Their only convincing wins so far have been against the two teams from Ohio (beating this season's Browns is something of an accomplishment, I'll say that) and Jacksonville. They barely beat the Ravens and Cowboys with their respective 3rd-string QB's. They've been on the lucky side of wins against tough teams so far as well. But, they're not beating the Chiefs that way should they meet in the AFC Championship. Each team's respective defenses will keep the game close, but Roethlisberger does not win a QB matchup against Mahomes, especially if he's playing gassed. I'd say the final score would be like 35-27, with Mahomes extending the lead with a passing TD to seal the game.

Jaguar

GleefulNearKoodoo-small.gif

Burning Paradigm

Vibe Curator & Night Owl
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Dan Le Batard's leaving ESPN. Big loss for that network.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Confession: The main reason I'm biased against the Steelers is that I detest Ben Roethlisberger with every bone in my body. That being said, the Steelers have an irritating (irritating to me, at least, if I were a Steelers fan) tendency this season to play down to their competition. Their only convincing wins so far have been against the two teams from Ohio (beating this season's Browns is something of an accomplishment, I'll say that) and Jacksonville. They barely beat the Ravens and Cowboys with their respective 3rd-string QB's. They've been on the lucky side of wins against tough teams so far as well. But, they're not beating the Chiefs that way should they meet in the AFC Championship. Each team's respective defenses will keep the game close, but Roethlisberger does not win a QB matchup against Mahomes, especially if he's playing gassed. I'd say the final score would be like 35-27, with Mahomes extending the lead with a passing TD to seal the game.

But I love Mike Tomlin's entirely cliched, useless soundbites every week. If the Steelers have a bye I'm all :(

tenor.gif

I mean, once Chuck Pagano got fired from Indy, I didn't have much left. He was the king of saying gibberish post game.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
But I love Mike Tomlin's entirely cliched, useless soundbites every week. If the Steelers have a bye I'm all :(

tenor.gif

I mean, once Chuck Pagano got fired from Indy, I didn't have much left. He was the king of saying gibberish post game.

quote-i-ll-tolerate-you-until-i-can-replace-you-mike-tomlin-112-7-0739.jpg

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
While we're talking about coaches, as much as I despise Brady, I have an equal amount of affection toward for Bill Belichick. He's the GOAT coach, as it's not even close. He's 5-6 with about one of the worst rosters from top to bottom, and his team has been decimated by covid opt-outs this year. He was yards away from beating an 8-3 Seattle, beat Arizona and Baltimore who were wildcard worthy teams, and loss by 3 to Buffalo who will probably win their division. He should get coach of the year this year just for fielding a semi-competitive team with what little fuel remains in the tank of Cam Newton (I almost cried writing that), the skeleton of Julian Edelman, and a collection of other receivers who wouldn't start on any other team in the league. Plus a defense filled undrafted free agents and Scrubs. Guy is the absolute master of having his team prepared for anything, plus being the god of situational football and knowing the rules backwards and forwards.

As much success as Tomlin has had this year, All those 14-2 and 13-3 seasons they had several years back always came to an end in Foxborough (besides that one time they counted out Jacksonville and were game planning for New England ahead of them and lost)

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
The NFL died the moment the Raiders stepped foot in Vegas.

How can such a blatantly Californian team do this to us???? WAS IT WORTH THE STADIUM?

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
The NFL died the moment the Raiders stepped foot in Vegas.

How can such a blatantly Californian team do this to us???? WAS IT WORTH THE STADIUM?

No team best personified the city they played in than the Oakland Raiders. I'm disappointed I'll never be accidentally stabbed in a parking lot brawl outside Oakland Coliseum.

Burning Paradigm

Vibe Curator & Night Owl
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Did I already mention this? I'm not sure, but whatever. The Clippers will be upset in the first round this year by either the Mavs, Warriors, or possibly the Jazz. Kawhi will decline his player option and leave the Clippers.

Kawhi did choke in Game 7 of that Nuggets series, but he put in a lot more effort than Playoff P for the other games of that series. I maintain he had the perfect situation in Toronto and shouldn't have left. Raptors are one of my favorite teams to watch, and I loved watching them succeed and almost make the ECF this year. It would've been even more enjoyable if Kawhi had stayed.

As for Paul George, I'll just say this. Russell Westbrook can be a bonehead sometimes, but you can never call him a bad teammate. That's not his rep around the league. If there's anyone who should be slandered more for being a bad teammate, it's Paul George.

Tomb1

Man, what a dirty hit Pierre just laid on Matt Salerno in the Syracuse-Notre Dame game...

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
While we're talking about coaches, as much as I despise Brady, I have an equal amount of affection toward for Bill Belichick. He's the GOAT coach, as it's not even close. He's 5-6 with about one of the worst rosters from top to bottom, and his team has been decimated by covid opt-outs this year. He was yards away from beating an 8-3 Seattle, beat Arizona and Baltimore who were wildcard worthy teams, and loss by 3 to Buffalo who will probably win their division. He should get coach of the year this year just for fielding a semi-competitive team with what little fuel remains in the tank of Cam Newton (I almost cried writing that), the skeleton of Julian Edelman, and a collection of other receivers who wouldn't start on any other team in the league. Plus a defense filled undrafted free agents and Scrubs. Guy is the absolute master of having his team prepared for anything, plus being the god of situational football and knowing the rules backwards and forwards.

As much success as Tomlin has had this year, All those 14-2 and 13-3 seasons they had several years back always came to an end in Foxborough (besides that one time they counted out Jacksonville and were game planning for New England ahead of them and lost)

No like to me, what annoys me, is they don't ever acknowledge that the only reason subpar overrated Tom fucking Brady won all those superbowls is solely the system this coach invented. Seriously. I mean it is like they forgot they got to the playoffs with 14 wins with a fucking backup after Brady broke a leg. Seriously - he never needed Brady. Brady was just a piece of it. And without him Tom is nothing.

which is why Tom annoys me all the more. lol. his ego man.

- - - Updated - - -

MAHOMIE YAS

Tomb1

Notre Dame properly topped off its annihilation of Syracuse with an 87 yard touchdown run by Lutz...Javon McKinley tremendous receiver. Steelers grabbed Chase Claypool from Notre Dame and rookie season his numbers are just as good if not better than all them first round wide receiver draft picks

Tomb1

No like to me, what annoys me, is they don't ever acknowledge that the only reason subpar overrated Tom fucking Brady won all those superbowls is solely the system this coach invented. Seriously. I mean it is like they forgot they got to the playoffs with 14 wins with a fucking backup after Brady broke a leg. Seriously - he never needed Brady. Brady was just a piece of it. And without him Tom is nothing.

which is why Tom annoys me all the more. lol. his ego man.

- - - Updated - - -

MAHOMIE YAS

hendrickson cleaned brady's clock week 9