heartland values Julius_Van_Der_Beak's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Default Random Star Trek thoughts

I can see why Wesley Crusher was so hated. I'm making my way for the first season, and he's almost always right about everything, and everything else is wrong. I think the character would have been received if they'd had him make mistakes and occasionally be wrong because of inexperience, while still having moments where his underestimated because of his age. From what I've read, it sounds like they "fix" the character in later seasons. Would that be accurate?
    A path is made by walking on it.

-Zhuangzi

Likes The Sea Captain liked this post

MBTI
    GHST
    Enneagram
    4w3 sp
    Socionics
    SEA Se

Quote Originally Posted by Julius_Van_Der_Beak View Post
    I can see why Wesley Crusher was so hated. I'm making my way for the first season, and he's almost always right about everything, and everything else is wrong. I think the character would have been received if they'd had him make mistakes and occasionally be wrong because of inexperience, while still having moments where his underestimated because of his age. From what I've read, it sounds like they "fix" the character in later seasons. Would that be accurate?
    I dont think they ever really "knew" what to do with him. I always got the sense that he was sort of shoehorned in to try to draw kids to the franchise.

The sea has never been friendly to man. At most it has been the accomplice of human restlessness...

Ocean is more ancient than the mountains, and freighted with the memories and the dreams of Time...

Farewell and adieu to you, Spanish Ladies
    Farewell and adieu to you, ladies of Spain;
    For we've received orders for to sail for old England
    But we hope in a short time to see you again...

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Been a long time since I have watched TNG so my memory is vague... but I think your overall impression is correct.

First season, Wesley was notorious for being the wunderkin who would solve a lot of the problems despite being a mewling twerp. "Wesley saves the ship" is the standard joke cliche, annoying the rest of the other bridge crew. They did not have much nuance with it either -- but Star Trek TV never was that nuanced honestly, so what did people expect? It didn't really want to get into the weeds with character, it was happier to have more archetypal characters and tell weekly stories through that.

They tried to tone this down in later seasons, even by reducing Wheaton's appearances / role, although he still had some episodes focused on him. So yes, it did improve. There's a lot of first season stuff they were "testing out" -- for example, the Ferengi were being promoted as the next big bad race but were kind of a joke, I think DSN really locked into how to play the Ferengi. And so on.

- - - Updated - - -

I have been watching Lower Decks.

I don't think it's a game changer, but I find it amusing typically. And it's nice that it's an "official" thing, so it's like Trek making fun of Trek rather than taking itself so seriously.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Assistant Junior Member Tactical Turtleneck's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Wesley is much more tolerable in season 2.

They even give him some decent character growth. Oddly enough, his best episodes were the three return guest appearances. The Game, The First Duty, and Journey’s End. All top tier episodes

If only they’d devoted such attention to his character during his tenure. That Jonathan Brandis character from SeaQuest was way more relatable and interesting
    RCOAI 9w8 sp/sx INTP

Likes Totenkindly, The Sea Captain liked this post

Assistant Junior Member Tactical Turtleneck's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by The Sea Captain View Post
    I dont think they ever really "knew" what to do with him. I always got the sense that he was sort of shoehorned in to try to draw kids to the franchise.
    Make kids relate by giving them a kid they’d want to sucker punch after 5 minutes in the same room
    RCOAI 9w8 sp/sx INTP

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Tasha Yar's death really is quite lame. I've thought that many of the later episodes in season 1 were vast improvements. The characters were better defined and they seemed to have stopped relying on Wesley to save the day despite nobody listening to him at first. But this episode, "Skin of Evil" wasn't that good. The concept itself didn't feel that Star Trek.... it seemed like something that belonged in the fantasy genre.. or perhaps Star Wars. It just didn't seem to really belong in this universe. The one good thing about this episode was that I felt like it gave a decent amount of stuff for Troi to do; she was pretty well handled here.

I also got really tired of watching the ooze slowly form a goo man.

-Zhuangzi

MBTI
    GHST
    Enneagram
    4w3 sp
    Socionics
    SEA Se

Tasha Yar's death really is quite lame. I've thought that many of the later episodes in season 1 were vast improvements. The characters were better defined and they seemed to have stopped relying on Wesley to save the day despite nobody listening to him at first. But this episode, "Skin of Evil" wasn't that good. The concept itself didn't feel that Star Trek.... it seemed like something that belonged in the fantasy genre.. or perhaps Star Wars. It just didn't seem to really belong in this universe. The one good thing about this episode was that I felt like it gave a decent amount of stuff for Troi to do.
    they try to "fix" it later.

The sea has never been friendly to man. At most it has been the accomplice of human restlessness...

Ocean is more ancient than the mountains, and freighted with the memories and the dreams of Time...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

they try to "fix" it later.
    Oh, I've actually seen that episode. I think it had the Enterprise C?

-Zhuangzi

MBTI
    GHST
    Enneagram
    4w3 sp
    Socionics
    SEA Se

Oh, I've actually seen that episode. I think it had the Enterprise C?
    with captain Fraisure Craine

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

with captain Fraisure Craine
    Well, the Enterprise B captain was Cameron from Ferris Bueller's Day Off...

-Zhuangzi