• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Random Star Trek thoughts

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
McCoy and spock humanize him. I guess McCoy is sort of the Id and Spock is more the Super-ego.

It’s interesting to watch how on edge Kirk is at first in The Motion Picture. He gets the Enterprise back but is out of his element until his two best friends have returned; once they’re back he is relaxed and really seems to take charge. That movie is all about finding one’s humanity. V’ger’s insatiable need to meet “the creator” parallels Kirk’s need to regain his old family. I’m amazed I never really got this when I watched it as a youngin

Oh, I just want to say that I also really like TMP also. I think it's a really good "bridge" to TNG (which makes sense given what was going on behind the scenes).I like that it's really about facing and trying to understand something unknown, which none of the other movies are really about (except for maybe 5) plenty of episodes of both TNG and TOS are about.

Some people speculate that it's also an origin story for the Borg, which makes sense but I prefer to read it differently with something more upbeat.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh, I just want to say that I also really like TMP also. I think it's a really good "bridge" to TNG (which makes sense given what was going on behind the scenes).I like that it's really about facing and trying to understand something unknown, which none of the other movies are really about (except for maybe 5) plenty of episodes of both TNG and TOS are about.

Some people speculate that it's also an origin story for the Borg, which makes sense but I prefer to read it differently with something more upbeat.

Yeah, it’s interesting how many concepts got reused in TNG. They were originally developing a sequel series but Paramount wanted a movie to ride on the success of Star Wars, so the pilot script was adapted into TMP. Decker and Ilea backstory became the basis for Riker and Troi. I think a few script ideas they’d meant for Phase II eventually ended up as TNG episodes.

It also makes sense why Roddenberry felt protective of TNG. He basically had all creative control over the films ripped away when TMP didn’t perform as well as Paramount wanted.

Part of me wishes we’d gotten that phase II series, just out of curiosity. But that would likely mean no movies or TNG, at least as we know them

Star Trek: Phase II - Memory Alpha, the Star Trek Wiki

I like the Borg origins idea

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What's up with the genetically enhanced children in Unnatual Selection? Not only is it weird that these scientists are experimenting on their kids (apparently), doesn't this fly in way of laws restricting augmentation as a result of the Eugenics Wars?

Why is Dr. Bashir's status as an augment something he needed to keep secret, but designing kids that can read minds and lift things ok? Bashir's case is far less of a big deal than that. Why would giving someone with intellectual disabilities genius level IQ be illegal, but creating kids with superhuman powers ok?

I get the feeling I found a continuity error here...

I think that’s part of the beauty of DS9. It shows us the federation isn’t a perfect utopia with no internal ethical dilemmas or contradictions after all. In that sense the Federation we see in ST: Picard makes perfect sense if we look at it as a sequel series to DS9 rather than a sequel to TNG

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Crazy theory. Picard never left the nexus in Generations. Every movie after that is part of his fantasy.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Picard’s brother was so anti technology that he didn’t even believe in fire alarms and smoke detectors

Also, why would Kirk’s ideal fantasy involve chopping wood and cooking breakfast? Wouldn’t it be endlessly saving the day in a space crisis or lounging with green babes on Risa?

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The nexus must not be a naturally occurring anomaly. I think it’s an incredibly highly sophisticated one obviously designed by a super advanced intelligence. I wouldn’t even call it an anomaly, it’s literally a piece of technology far beyond 24th century human understanding.

It’s the only way to really explain the very specific rules that seem to apply to it. I think at some point that the race that made it either went extinct or lost control of it. It was essentially a super advanced Holodeck built by some race at a Q-like level of development. Or perhaps they designed it as a playground/environment for running experiments on lowly life forms like humans and Guinan’s race. Like a sophisticated rat maze

This might explain why something designed to be a fantasy generator is still so difficult to access. It wasn’t designed for lowly life forms like humans to use. Throw a cat in a federation holodeck fantasy and they will likely have a similar experience trying to understand their predicament and discerning fantasy from reality

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
They put that recap of part 3 on some European home video editions of 4. I like it, it reminds me of the “last time on...” recaps they’d always put in 2 parter tv episodes.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
as maligned as it is, Star Trek V might be the most TOSiest of all the films. It's got a classic TOS style plot about a fake god alien, sfx that leave something to be desired, and some of the best Kirk-Spock-McCoy moments in the entire franchise. I could see this being a season 3 TOS episode.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
as maligned as it is, Star Trek V might be the most TOSiest of all the films. It's got a classic TOS style plot about a fake god alien, sfx that leave something to be desired, and some of the best Kirk-Spock-McCoy moments in the entire franchise. I could see this being a season 3 TOS episode.

I just can't get past "row row row your boat".

Aside from "Why does God need a spaceship?", it's the only thing I really remember years later.

I walked out of the theater dazed, in a "my god what have I just seen?!" mindset.

But sure -- it's as cheesy as any of the cheesiest TOS episode I can recall.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I just can't get past "row row row your boat".

Aside from "Why does God need a spaceship?", it's the only thing I really remember years later.

I walked out of the theater dazed, in a "my god what have I just seen?!" mindset.

But sure -- it's as cheesy as any of the cheesiest TOS episode I can recall.

I like how it was a low key attack on religious zealotry. I'm actually amazed some of those episodes were allowed to air in the 60s.

"Jim, you don't ask the almighty for his ID"

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I like how it was a low key attack on religious zealotry. I'm actually amazed some of those episodes were allowed to air in the 60s.

"Jim, you don't ask the almighty for his ID"

If you look at some of the bigger hits, such as Beverly Hill Billies, television was created for secular people, which means it was likely created by secular people too. And the normal folks who might've been bothered by an attack on religion probably didn't watch the show. They probably watched the show for 5 minutes, once, and got up and said "this is stupid and weird." Then they did chores and worked.

Star Trek V was my favorite out of the Star Trek universe. They made the characters more relatable than ever before. That is the difference to the original Star Trek series, imo. And by taking on religion, tackled a more universal issue and I felt made it more concrete and understandable.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If you look at some of the bigger hits, such as Beverly Hill Billies, television was created for secular people, which means it was likely created by secular people too. And the normal folks who might've been bothered by an attack on religion probably didn't watch the show. They probably watched the show for 5 minutes, once, and got up and said "this is stupid and weird." Then they did chores and worked.

Star Trek V was my favorite out of the Star Trek universe. They made the characters more relatable than ever before. That is the difference to the original Star Trek series, imo. And by taking on religion, tackled a more universal issue and I felt made it more concrete and understandable.

5 is a great buddy film. It was actually my first exposure to any Star Trek as a kid. I had been vaguely aware of Star Trek as a wee kid but didn’t have any interest. Then 5 came on HBO and I was hooked.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

That is one of the cool things about TOS. I'm kinda surprised too, when I have looked back at it, although I was a bit too young at the time to be aware of the social currents. (I was pretty much watching the reruns when I was 10-12, which would be around 1980; and I read all of the TV episode adaptations in the four-book compilation series, that I got out of the public library, I think James Blish adapted them.)

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That is one of the cool things about TOS. I'm kinda surprised too, when I have looked back at it, although I was a bit too young at the time to be aware of the social currents. (I was pretty much watching the reruns when I was 10-12, which would be around 1980; and I read all of the TV episode adaptations in the four-book compilation series, that I got out of the public library, I think James Blish adapted them.)

good old James Blish. I remember my local library carried those as well as most of the pocketbook series. I liked Dreadnought and also the film novelizations, which added some extra stuff that wasn't in the films, like Saavik and David Marcus becoming a romantic item. Also references to Carol Marcus in the part 6 novelization.