• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Random Music Thoughts Thread

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've never dismissed rap as a genre, but have recently become more fascinated with it watching 8 Mile. I'd like to have movies of other rappers as well. What are some good biographies with music of other rappers?

Rap is a very broad genre with a lot of watered down, commercial manifestations of it that I call "Placid Rap", or sometimes "Barbie Doll Rap", which runs the gamut of humorous to aesthetically gross to me, but the authentic rap is absolutely fascinating.

Academic poetry over the last century has come to poo-poo rhyme and meter, so the exploration of complexity from the opposite vantage point of heavy dense rhyme and rhythmic coordinations elevated to that level is really interesting. The ability to improvise that is also remarkable, although I do know that like all improvisation the artist builds up an internal library of riffs to draw from, so improvisations are never created out of a blank vacuum, but a rich resource of ideas to string together on the spot.

Authentic, intelligent rap artists likely have a bit of a reaction to the more placid manifestations of it. If I had that skill, lived the sort of life that fueled its creation, that void, vapid, privileged expression of it would be something beyond annoying. The emotional gravitas of rap that tells the truth through linguistic complexity is something I'm interested to explore in more depth.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've never dismissed rap as a genre, but have recently become more fascinated with it watching 8 Mile. I'd like to have movies of other rappers as well. What are some good biographies with music of other rappers?

Anyway, I think it is fascinating to contrast Eminem with Kid Rock (another Michigan musician who emerged on the scene in the same time) and how they turned out to be the exact opposite politically.

Rap is a very broad genre with a lot of watered down, commercial manifestations of it that I call "Placid Rap", or sometimes "Barbie Doll Rap", which runs the gamut of humorous to aesthetically gross to me, but the authentic rap is absolutely fascinating.

Contemporary folks I really like are Childish Gambino and Kid Cudi. I need to dive into their catalogues more.

Academic poetry over the last century has come to poo-poo rhyme and meter, so the exploration of complexity from the opposite vantage point of heavy dense rhyme and rhythmic coordinations elevated to that level is really interesting. The ability to improvise that is also remarkable, although I do know that like all improvisation the artist builds up an internal library of riffs to draw from, so improvisations are never created out of a blank vacuum, but a rich resource of ideas to string together on the spot.

I think I've noticed that with some contemporary poetry I've read through my bookclub (which exposes me to read all kinds of things I wouldn't normally read).Why do you think poetry has turned against rhymes?

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
-
A Kid Song with Arithmetics Lyrics
This song lyrics is in Bahasa Indonesia, so I translate it to English so that English speaking member can understand it also. However, singing it in english might not be feasible. One problem that I address is the syllable of word. In Bahasa Indonesia satu (english translation:eek:ne) is two syllables, while the word "one (bahasa indonesia translation: satu)" is one syllable in english.
This is a song which I firstly heard when I was a kid. For me , This song is an example of How mathematics can become an art.
English Translation

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Wow, I’m surprised I hadn’t heard some of these songs

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
As a 90s kid, I enjoyed some grunge, but my heart was really with brit rock, trip hop and NIN

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
As a 90s kid, I enjoyed some grunge, but my heart was really with brit rock, trip hop and NIN

admit you listened to nu-metal and caused January 6th.

j/k

I have a negative association with nu-metal because the kids that liked those bands used to bully me in middle school ( and I kinda could see them growing up to vote for Trump; the black kids bullied me too but I'd say on average that the white nu-metal kids were merciless.
) but it's probably unfair to paint everybody who listened to it with such a broad brush. I will say there is something dumb about stigmatizing white male rage without bothering to really look into and examine why they might angry and just chalk the entire thing up to a facile analysis obtained from the laziest kind of counterproductive, clickbait-fueled identity politics. It does remind me a bit of the "nice guy" thing I talked about in the Mature Random Thoughts thread.

I ended up getting into the post-punk revival when that took off in the aughts by the end of high school. That was my thing. I get annoyed at my sister who claims they didn't make any good music after the 90s. They still make good music now you just have to find it, and I'm sure there's a lot I don't know about.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

If you think you can leave the past behind, you must be out of your mind.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
admit you listened to nu-metal and caused January 6th.

j/k

I have a negative association with nu-metal because the kids that liked those bands used to bully me in middle school ( and I kinda could see them growing up to vote for Trump; the black kids bullied me too but I'd say on average that the white nu-metal kids were merciless.
) but it's probably unfair to paint everybody who listened to it with such a broad brush. I will say there is something dumb about stigmatizing white male rage without bothering to really look into and examine why they might angry and just chalk the entire thing up to a facile analysis obtained from the laziest kind of counterproductive, clickbait-fueled identity politics. It does remind me a bit of the "nice guy" thing I talked about in the Mature Random Thoughts thread.

I ended up getting into the post-punk revival when that took off in the aughts by the end of high school. That was my thing. I get annoyed at my sister who claims they didn't make any good music after the 90s. They still make good music now you just have to find it, and I'm sure there's a lot I don't know about.

I could never get into all that nu metal and rap rock shit like Korn. Rage Against The Machine were OKAY but the whole conceit of a band protesting the system whilst being signed to a major record label and partaking in the rewards of that very system seemed disingenuous. I never even really got into the Deftones.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I could never get into all that nu metal and rap rock shit like Korn. Rage Against The Machine were OKAY but the whole conceit of a band protesting the system whilst being signed to a major record label and partaking in the rewards of that very system seemed disingenuous. I never even really got into the Deftones.

Oh, what's hilarious to me is that I looked up Kid Rock, and he never actually lived in a trailer park. His dad owned multiple car dealership and he had horses growing up. No wonder he's a Republican. I will say that if someone is emblematic of what the next decade would be like, it's him. Fake upper crust redneck posers who larp as "real" Americans.

Eminem actually did grow up in a working class existence for part of his life.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Oh, what's hilarious to me is that I looked up Kid Rock, and he never actually lived in a trailer park. His dad owned multiple car dealership and he had horses growing up. No wonder he's a Republican. I will say that if someone is emblematic of what the next decade would be like, it's him. Fake upper crust redneck posers who larp as "real" Americans.

Kid Rock did much the same as Donald Trump - ingratiating himself with working people = I'm one of you. He's no different than any other rich person that hates (and profits off) the poor.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I am not surprised to learn this about Kid Rock. So he's basically what my friend used to refer to as a "fratneck"

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Kid Rock did much the same as Donald Trump - ingratiating himself with working people = I'm one of you. He's no different than any other rich person that hates (and profits off) the poor.

Tom Macdonald is another good example. He plays the "regular guy" offering the voice of reason in his songs, but they're almost always veiled lamentations about his supposed plight being silenced by dissenting voices--even though no one is trying to censor him and he enjoys a wide fan base, and his songs are all easily found on youtube and elsewhere.

Burning Paradigm

Vibe Curator & Night Owl
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm sad that my voice now cracks when I attempt to karaoke the Bee Gees.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

This song makes me sad in a good way.

Also was on 90's nickelodeon accompanying a pretty sad moment on a show called Pete & Pete.