• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Random Music Thoughts Thread

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
For the people who play and don't play instruments; what made you choose the particular instrument(s)? Are there any (other) instruments you'd like to try out/advance in? How much knowledge do you have of all the instruments out there? Which instruments do you prefer to listen to?

Since my room is too small for a piano- I am considering to buy an Erhu. (I also considered a Guqin for a second but it still looks relatively big, plus I don't know if there's enough material out there to learn how to play it.)

I don't play any instruments. I was in band eleventy-seven hundred years ago (clarinet at first, and then the alto sax which I thought was much cooler for a tiny girl to play). I couldn't (and still can't) read music though.

I actually can't play 99% of instruments because of a physical impairment with my hands, but I've wanted to play the drums forever. My plan was to buy a set right after moving into this house, but then the entire world exploded in my face. I think it would be highly therapeutic and good for muscle tone to beat the shit outta drums.

I refuse to let the dream die and it will probably be my next unwise purchase.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't play any instruments. I was in band eleventy-seven hundred years ago (clarinet at first, and then the alto sax which I thought was much cooler for a tiny girl to play). I couldn't (and still can't) read music though.

I actually can't play 99% of instruments because of a physical impairment with my hands, but I've wanted to play the drums forever. My plan was to buy a set right after moving into this house, but then the entire world exploded in my face. I think it would be highly therapeutic and good for muscle tone to beat the shit outta drums.

I refuse to let the dream die and it will probably be my next unwise purchase.

I'm one of the very few people in the world to actually fail band. I briefly entertained the idea of playing the clarinet in the 6th grade, but once they told me I'd have to practice and stuff and chances are I wouldn't just pick it up and be a musical savant, interest quickly faded. Band class quickly devolved into me actively trying to be as terrible as possible when we would get graded on our solo performances. At the end of the year I just left my instrument there and never went back and got it -- my parents were obviously less than thrilled.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
I'm one of the very few people in the world to actually fail band. I briefly entertained the idea of playing the clarinet in the 6th grade, but once they told me I'd have to practice and stuff and chances are I wouldn't just pick it up and be a musical savant, interest quickly faded. Band class quickly devolved into me actively trying to be as terrible as possible when we would get graded on our solo performances. At the end of the year I just left my instrument there and never went back and got it -- my parents were obviously less than thrilled.

My best friend in middle/high school was the only person to not be accepted after show choir auditions. I seriously couldn't stop laughing about it (neither could she).

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
Every so often I get the inkling to buy a bass guitar, yet my more logical side realises I just likes the idea of fantasizing about looking cool playing a bass in a band versus actually caring about putting the time in to learn how to do it. Some dreams are better off staying dreams.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
Every so often I get the inkling to buy a bass guitar, yet my more logical side realises I just likes the idea of fantasizing about looking cool playing a bass in a band versus actually caring about putting the time in to learn how to do it. Some dreams are better off staying dreams.

Awww, your 4-wing is so cute. *pinches cheeks*

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Have you checked the basement?

Schrödinger's Name

Blessed With A Curse

This is how six year old me got a guitar and never learnt how to play it. I have once played the bass, I liked it and considered buying one for a while.* I still think about it from time to time, but a bass guitar on itself seems kinda boring. Other instruments tend to be more expressive.

*Also because the teacher told me I had a good sense of rhythm. But then again she was a therapist so maybe she just said it to make me feel good. :rly???:

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

I can't decide if I'm with the character singing the song.

I relate to the chorus:

My Christian heart cannot withstand
The thundering arena
I'll see you when the violence ends
For now, ciao ciao, Bambina

But this sounds like sticking their head in the sand:

No signs of injustice
No signs, but the flames that are filling up the room
Fire cannot be trusted
When the engines come, they always come too soon

I love the ambiguity in that.... it feels real to me and I guess reflects my own personal tension. And the melody is gorgeous, too.
guess reflects my own personal tension. And the melody is gorgeous, too.

Last edited:

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member

I saw this and kinda laughed at some of the responses. If I would've been interviewed for this they probably would've told me to wrap it up, as I'd be giving some long winded outline outlining how In Utero is meant to be the conceptual antithesis to Nevermind. Probably for the best that I was only 4 in 1993.

yubitzu

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I recently started playing guitar and I find it very fun.
I really like Babes in Toyland.Such an underrated band.
Kat Bjelland is such a great singer.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I recently started playing guitar and I find it very fun.
I really like Babes in Toyland.Such an underrated band.
Kat Bjelland is such a great singer.

There’s nothing more exciting than learning an instrument. Good luck on your journey. My only advice, while theory and technique are important, don’t let them prevent you from exploring, experimenting, finding your own voice/style, and having fun as you learn

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I just want to listen to these on repeat as I disintegrate into a void

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
I used to really love The Smashing Pumpkins, but for whatever reason now whenever I listen to them I'm distracted by how grating Billy Corgan's voice sounds, probably as a result of finding out how he's kind of a dick.

They're later albums seemed so phoned in and bland, both from a writing and musical standpoint -- I think that dude never really recovered from Adore being a commercial and critical flop and just decided to just produce decades of pedestrian rock records that will ultimately be individual grains of sand lost in somewhere deep within the vastness of music's beach. I really wish he'd stole trying to squeeze every drip of milk from nostalgia's teet and just come up with a new name for the band.

That said, Adore really is a masterpiece that plebs in 1998 just weren't ready for due to how much it varied creatively from their previous records. It's an extremely personal album, though, and I think one day it'll get its proper just due from a future audience that it'll resonate with much better.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Iggy Pop's The Idiot is a masterpiece, IMO. It might as well be co-credited as Iggy Pop and David Bowie, who played keyboards on it and helped co-write the bulk of the songs with Iggy. He also played keyboards on Pop's subsequent Idiot tour, relishing the opportunity to blend into the background as an anonymous bandman for once (something he'd attempt again with Tin Machine).

It's also important as it bridges Bowie's 1976 LP Station to Station to the "Berlin Cycle" that would start with 1977's Low. While expanding on the Station to Station's mechanical funk, The Idiot dabbles in krautrock and electronic influences that would be explored further on Low.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I used to really love The Smashing Pumpkins, but for whatever reason now whenever I listen to them I'm distracted by how grating Billy Corgan's voice sounds, probably as a result of finding out how he's kind of a dick.

They're later albums seemed so phoned in and bland, both from a writing and musical standpoint -- I think that dude never really recovered from Adore being a commercial and critical flop and just decided to just produce decades of pedestrian rock records that will ultimately be individual grains of sand lost in somewhere deep within the vastness of music's beach. I really wish he'd stole trying to squeeze every drip of milk from nostalgia's teet and just come up with a new name for the band.

That said, Adore really is a masterpiece that plebs in 1998 just weren't ready for due to how much it varied creatively from their previous records. It's an extremely personal album, though, and I think one day it'll get its proper just due from a future audience that it'll resonate with much better.

Yeah, I tuned out after mellon collie. Even that one I thought could have been condensed into one really solid album and maybe a bonus EP's worth of songs. It felt bloated and pompous, I remember Corgan saying he wanted to make another The Wall for the kids of the 90s. I liked Siamese Dream a lot more. I did like that see thru shirt the bassist wore in the artwork on Adore though. I saw her tiddies.

my favorite two grunge bands are Pearl Jam and Pavement, if you count Pavement's first album as a grunge album, which I do and will fight anyone who says otherwise

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Marc Bolan, Bowie's first friend and muse on his journey.

There are striking similarities in their early careers--both spent most of the 60s as struggling, aspiring pop stars, not breaking through and finding fame and recognition until the 70s began. Both were born in the same year, and both adopted striking stage names (each would give their sons first names that rhymed with their famous stage names: Zowie Bowie and Rolan Bolan). Both were instrumental in popularizing "glam rock", neither having found much success trying their hands at folk rock and "hippie" music.

They would maintain both a close friendship and rivalry throughout their parallel careers. Bolan double as rival and muse, both keeping Bowie on his toes and inspiring the character Ziggy Stardust ("Lady Stardust" was originally called "Song for Marc"). Both experienced great success circa 1972-73, but Bolan's star began to decline along with glam rock, already having become a parody of itself and well on its way out by 1974, giving way to disco and punk rock by 1976. Bowie was able to adapt and re-mold himself, remaining on the vanguard when he defected to Berlin to record Low and Heroes in 1977. Bolan by this point was struggling to remain relevant, hsving become host of his own variety show. Bowie guested in 1977 and performed his new single "Heroes", also performing a jam with Marc's band during the closing credits. Bolan was beginning to be recognized in the growing punk movement, so it's possible he would have experienced a rebirth, casting himself as a sort of punk forefather similar to Iggy Pop and Lou Reed around the same time. But fate intervened and we'll never see how his career might have evolved and paralled Bowie's into the 80s. Bolan was killed in a serious car accident about a week after he filmed his variety show with Bowie.

Bolan's girlfriend and son were suddenly sent into poverty--Bolan was still legally married to his first wife, and so his new son and his lover were entitled to zero if his estate. He had been in the process of setting up a trust for his son and getting his set up to receive his inheritance--but the car crash came before he had finalized any of this.

Bolan's girlfriend and his son moved to LA and struggled to make ends' meet. She had numerous health issues from injuries suffered during the fateful car crash. Bowie would call them regularly, always asking what he could do. He sent money, never asking for repayment and eventually paid for Rolan's education. This was a final gesture to his former friend and competitor. They may have had a strange relationship, appearing as arch rivals in the press, but ultimately their relationship had been driven by a deep friendship, likely based on sharing so many of the same experiences in their early recording careers.

Marc: "Your shoes are crap"
Bowie: "Well you're short"

If I were going to film a Bowie Biopic, I'd likely focus on 1964 to 1977 and their relationship. Ending it around the point Bolan died. There would be no Bowie as we know him without Bolan.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

I saw this and kinda laughed at some of the responses. If I would've been interviewed for this they probably would've told me to wrap it up, as I'd be giving some long winded outline outlining how In Utero is meant to be the conceptual antithesis to Nevermind. Probably for the best that I was only 4 in 1993.

I'm just wowed by the graphics, like the fact that that the inset is a computer chip - type shape. It serves no point and doesn't even look particularly good. But that doesn't matter..... this ain't your daddy's news... this is the news of the year 2000!

"Is this a trend that will continue?" uhhhhh

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It’s interesting how loved Scott Walker is/was in Britain, at least compared to the US, where most people assume you’re talking about the douchebag governor. The US had little interest in him, so he’s basically an honorary Brit now. Seems like they hold him right up there with Bowie and Elton John.

In the documentary on him, it’s almost all British musicians gushing over his music.