• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Random Star Wars Thoughts

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
FB_IMG_1645124605785.jpg

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Not sure why people were gushing over the trailer. We barely see Ben Kenobi. Is it the music that made people happy, or just that there are two sith looking for him? It wasn't like the scenes were that impressive.

I'm also sick of being on Tatooine. Geez, just go somewhere else for once, won't you?

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Not sure why people were gushing over the trailer. We barely see Ben Kenobi. Is it the music that made people happy, or just that there are two sith looking for him? It wasn't like the scenes were that impressive.

I'm also sick of being on Tatooine. Geez, just go somewhere else for once, won't you?

I was more jazzed by it than the Book of Boba Fett trailer, ( which proved to be underwhelming).

It would be great to have a show about Boba Fett, not sure what that was, though. It was better than Rise of Skywalker, though.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I was more jazzed by it than the Book of Boba Fett trailer, ( which proved to be underwhelming).

It would be great to have a show about Boba Fett, not sure what that was, though. It was better than Rise of Skywalker, though.
Yeah, I haven't finished it, but Episode 1 had been pretty underwhelming and nothing really about the character the way I wanted to see it. The action was a joke.

It seems very rare I see anything in the theater or on Disney+ that I like about Star Wars nowadays. It is usually the game properties or maybe some older shows released elsewhere that have been worth seeing.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yeah, I haven't finished it, but Episode 1 had been pretty underwhelming and nothing really about the character the way I wanted to see it. The action was a joke.

It seems very rare I see anything in the theater or on Disney+ that I like about Star Wars nowadays. It is usually the game properties or maybe some older shows released elsewhere that have been worth seeing.
He was just an unambiguous good guy. Two episodes were basically about the Mandalorian and he showed more ruthlessness in them than we saw in Boba.

I kind of had a feeling they were going to do that from the trailer.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I know this character is racist as hell* (much worse than Jar Jar or Watto IMO) but this made my laugh out loud. Just because the character is so stupid.

* It's basically what if Ming the Merciless was a 90s Japanese businessman caricature (anxiety about Japanese companies buying up everything in the US and decimating American firms was a very big thing in the 90s) and by far the most racist thing about those movies even though you heard about that the least. I actually don't think George Lucas is racist beyond just being a boomer who grew up loving to watch shorts rife with Yellow Peril and not the most accurate/sensitive portrayals of other races, but oof this does not come out well. I kind of feel like it was a case like "ooh, all this stuff was in the kind of entertainment I loved as a kid, why shouldn't I try and adapt/update this?" and didn't really think about how it would come across in a modern context.

This is present in the OT to some extent with the Tusken Raiders, who are obviously a riff on the "savage Indians" of Westerns. It's interesting that the more recent shows have tried to "humanize" them somewhat and show other aspects of their culture. I think if A New Hope had come out today there might be some criticism of it; but I think people probably weren't inclined to be aware of/think of such things in the 70s (at least among white people).

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Is the SW galaxy even located in the same universe as ours? I think that the presence of physics-defying "magic" force powers suggests they are within a universe with different laws of physics and nature. Not only are they probably not located within the limits of our observable universe, but I would guess they exist in an altogether separate universe within the greater multiverse.

Another thought, perhaps the force is really an emanation of or expression of vast energy existing on a different dimensional plane. Perhaps force sensitives have some adaptation which allows them to harness and channel this energy. Or maybe the force is an expression of dark energy as it is harnessed and directed by those able to use it. This could explain how their "powers" seem to defy the very laws of gravity and physics. Furthermore, what if the midichlorians are in fact beings who exist partially on a plane where they are immersed in dark matter or dark energy?

Last edited:

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Is the SW galaxy even located in the same universe as ours? I think that the presence of physics-defying "magic" force powers suggests they are within a universe with different laws of physics and nature. Not only are they probably not located within the limits of our observable universe, but I would guess they exist in an altogether separate universe within the greater multiverse.

Another thought, perhaps the force is really an emanation of or expression of vast energy existing on a different dimensional plane. Perhaps force sensitives have some adaptation which allows them to harness and channel this energy. Or maybe the force is an expression of dark energy as it is harnessed and directed by those able to use it. This could explain how their "powers" seem to defy the very laws of gravity and physics. Furthermore, what if the midichlorians are in fact beings who exist partially on a plane where they are immersed in dark matter or dark energy?
Apparently Lucas's sequel trilogy was going to deal with the Midichlorians (or at least the "microbiotic world") in a big way, somehow. I admit I'm intrigued but I'm convinced people would have hated it even more than the current sequel trilogy. I think I would have preferred it to Rise of Skywalker, though, even if his statements are taken literally and we're just watching bacteria swim around through people's blood and maybe a Fantastic Voyage-type scenario. Maybe the Midichlorians have little lightsaber-like cilia and the duel each other by flailing them about at each other. I think looking through microscopes is pretty cool so I'd be ok with that.

Last edited:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Watched the first two episodes of Obi-Wan. Surprisingly, I liked them. I wish more of their MCU and SW shows were at least of this quality.
  • Good integration of known characters with new ones.
  • Character arcs with earlier and later films mesh so far.
  • Actually improves A New Hope, it sheds some light on why things probably went how they did with certain characters and/or also contributes to understanding relationships that exist in ANH.
  • Despite the bombastic trailers, it's been a a thoughtful series so far and might have actually needed a minute or two more of direct conflict / action sequencing with the leads.
  • Decent acting.
  • Even knowing which characters are alive in ANH time, I *still* felt worried for them during these episodes.
I dunno. I still fear they will lose their nerve in the second half of the season, but it was a decent start despite all the overhype and ridiculous trailers. My favorite so far in the Disney+ developed series / items and possibly beating almost anything I saw with the MCU too.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
so I've seen all three Obi-Wan episodes so far and am mildly disappointed. Like, it's not bad (and sadly better than most of the Disney + offerings), but it feels rather toothless.

One big issue is lots of bluster, no follow-through.
giphy[1].gif

A big example is the Inquisitors, who bicker endlessly and usher semi-veiled threats, yet rarely carry through on anything. You'd think a more crafty dark force user would actually pretend to be less of a threat or even supportive, then simply backstab their targets when opportunity occurs. But in general, this show seems to be all about setting up great potential action sequences, and then bailing on them.

Basically it feels like the drama is mostly there, but the action is severely lacking in its direction, scripting, and execution. There's also a lot of impenetrable character motivation esp from Obi-Wan's POV. Is he not using the Force because he's cut himself off from it? Or because his having to slice up Anakin left him scarred and undesiring to be a jedi or use the force? He barely uses his saber and not really. He also seems always reluctant to do anything. Again, this could be justified, but the script is too weak to clearly put us in his head and know whether he is actually powerless, or whether he is choosing to be powerless, or whether he has a plan. I think the subtext COULD be there but the writing just doesn't really tie it together well.

I think the acting is probably the best part, but the cast can only elevate this script so far.

We also got an

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
It seems anything not led or developed by Filoni is destined to be mediocre. I cannot believe modern Disney would take this character and this actor give us this trash. I mean, I can, they gave us Force Awakens and Rise of Skywalker.

The show is for kids.

I'm still waiting for a prestige star wars and I no longer have any faith Lucasfilm will deliver it.

The first two episodes were super strong. The first in particular. Each subsequent episode has gone further off the rails and strains credibility.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Finally watched episode 4 tonight. This is partly a back-handed compliment; I liked about half the stuff in the episode and found the other half really absurd to the point where I was cracking jokes and heckling the going-on's because it stretched incredulity -- and yet it did so in a way that I enjoyed making fun of, versus just being bad without being amusing. I mean, i'd prefer a show I could respect, for grown-ups, completely through, but I guess at least it brought me some much needed laughs even if that was not its intention.

About the biggest thing I appreciate is just it giving a real feel for why Leia reached out to Kenobi in A New Hope, even though she doesn't seem broken up nearly as much as Luke does when Ben is lost on Vader's starship. (But that is forgivable, I guess, since none of this subtext existed.)

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So is Kenobi this franchise’s Picard?

the parallels seem obvious.

At least it’s not Caravan of Courage. But it will never live up to the glory of the holiday special