• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Metal Music Appreciation Thread \m/

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I've tried to get into metal, but I have a hard time when there is no discernible melody or harmony.
You mean like this? :tongue:

Not to say I don't enjoy a lot of dissonance and atonalism in music, but my problem with a lot of metal is that even those qualities like dissonance and atonalism tend to get lost in the audio mix and it all ends up sounding like a sludgy wall of noise. So for those, I tend to go to post-rock, proto-punk, kratutrock (i.e. Can and Neu!) or other genres. There are exceptions--I can enjoy some proggy metal like Tool, I like classic Metallica, who did a good job balancing the quiet moments with the crunchy loud moments, early Sabbath (which I define more as hard blues than as metal--the logical continuation of what Cream started), and I like a lot of borderline metal bands like Deftones and Failure. I like Motorhead but to me they are more in the realm of punk and hard rock than in true metal.
So how about this then?

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You mean like this? :tongue:

So how about this then?

first one is good, i can actually hear the bass parts--usually I can't distinguish the bass from the rest of the sludge in metal. what sub genre would you slot this band in? classic metal?

and the second one is well mixed and produced, but is it metal at this point, or just hard prog? Semantics, I guess. It's not far off from the prog and art rock stuff I like; this sounds like a natural progression from 70s prog like Genesis and Gentle Giant. Wikipedia lists that Iron Maiden album as heavy metal only. I would probably slot it under progressive rock as well, since it follows a similar structure to many classic long form prog songs, plus obvious emphasis on the musicians' virtuosity with their instruments.

Last edited:

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
first one is good, i can actually hear the bass parts--usually I can't distinguish the bass from the rest of the sludge in metal. what sub genre would you slot this band in? classic metal?
Megadeth is known for being one of the four horsemen of the thrash metal apocalypse of the '80s, along with Metallica, Slayer, and Anthrax. David Ellefson is one of the relatively few metal bassists who's played some catchy lines that you can actually hear, most famously with the opening of Peace Sells, a snippet of which was used by MTV in their news segments.

and the second one is well mixed and produced, but is it metal at this point, or just hard prog? Semantics, I guess. It's not far off from the prog and art rock stuff I like; this sounds like a natural progression from 70s prog like Genesis and Gentle Giant. Wikipedia lists that Iron Maiden album as heavy metal only. I would probably slot it under progressive rock as well, since it follows a similar structure to many classic long form prog songs, plus obvious emphasis on the musicians' virtuosity with their instruments.
Iron Maiden's new album Senjutsu has gone even more prog overall with a lot of the songs being about 10 minutes. But I don't see that as a bad thing. :p