• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Metal Music Appreciation Thread \m/

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
[MENTION=71]JAVO[/MENTION] I was wondering this today-- what type do you think Aleah was? Since I relate to her in certain aspects, I want to say introverted feeler, but I could be wrong.

I think you're right. Introverted feeler seems to fit her very well. After reading most of her philosophical/spiritual writing (which was posted on her Facebook, but removed after her death), I concluded that she was likely INFP, but INFJ was also a possibility. Her thoughts were very deep and integrated in a pleasantly serendipitous way with real life. The integration indicated Ni to me, but there seemed to be an "exploring to find the truth" underlying motivation which led me to lean toward Ne.

Lia_kat

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think you're right. Introverted feeler seems to fit her very well. After reading most of her philosophical/spiritual writing (which was posted on her Facebook, but removed after her death), I concluded that she was likely INFP, but INFJ was also a possibility. Her thoughts were very deep and integrated in a pleasantly serendipitous way with real life. The integration indicated Ni to me, but there seemed to be an "exploring to find the truth" underlying motivation which led me to lean toward Ne.

Yes, I was thinking IxFP or INFJ as well. Just judging from her music/lyrics and the way she carried herself. I wish I could've read her writing, it sounds so beautiful.

Lia_kat

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Hi. I been asked many times to share... - Juha Raivio Official | Facebook

I don't know if you can see that but I wanted to share it. A video of Aleah shared by Juha a while back.
"Hi. I been asked many times to share something personal from Aleah's life, to see the person behind this voice. Aleah was very private person and didn't want to share much of her private life to the world ever, but I will post this one beautiful video of her now and maybe it will make you feel a bit closer to her music to see this magical being here.
Among writing songs Aleah was also a photographer and often photographing luxury resorts around the world.
This is from one of her trips. Take care."

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
Hi. I been asked many times to share... - Juha Raivio Official | Facebook

I don't know if you can see that but I wanted to share it. A video of Aleah shared by Juha a while back.
"Hi. I been asked many times to share something personal from Aleah's life, to see the person behind this voice. Aleah was very private person and didn't want to share much of her private life to the world ever, but I will post this one beautiful video of her now and maybe it will make you feel a bit closer to her music to see this magical being here.
Among writing songs Aleah was also a photographer and often photographing luxury resorts around the world.
This is from one of her trips. Take care."

Thanks for sharing this! I had never seen or heard her talk before. After hearing her talk, she seems to be an even more beautiful and authentic person.

I'll let you know if I ever come across her writing again. I hope I do. I want to read it again too.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Got back into listening to this album a bunch lately, after 15 years since it released. Some great melodic death metal with impeccable female fronted vocals.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
A side project with the vocalist of Dark Tranquillity. A band not looking to reinvent the wheel but just having fun playing classic Swedish death metal. That HM-2 guitar tone never gets old.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
If anyone is feeling anxious, pissed off and cynical over the current state of the USA... this band is perfect. Even if you aren't feeling any of that, this band is perfect. One of my all time faves.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've tried to get into metal, but I have a hard time when there is no discernible melody or harmony. Not to say I don't enjoy a lot of dissonance and atonalism in music, but my problem with a lot of metal is that even those qualities like dissonance and atonalism tend to get lost in the audio mix and it all ends up sounding like a sludgy wall of noise. So for those, I tend to go to post-rock, proto-punk, kratutrock (i.e. Can and Neu!) or other genres. There are exceptions--I can enjoy some proggy metal like Tool, I like classic Metallica, who did a good job balancing the quiet moments with the crunchy loud moments, early Sabbath (which I define more as hard blues than as metal--the logical continuation of what Cream started), and I like a lot of borderline metal bands like Deftones and Failure. I like Motorhead but to me they are more in the realm of punk and hard rock than in true metal.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
People may think this is sacrilegious to post in a metal thread, but I'm actually obsessed with Babymetal lol. I feel like there are very polarized views about them among metalheads (as far as I know since I'm not super familiar with the genre) - people either think they're a disgrace to metal because they're fun Japanese girls blending the genre with other types of pop music or they think they're fun and enjoyable.

I like Babymetal because a lot of their songs sound like sickening anime openings, and the lead vocalist of the group is actually a pretty talented singer. I also think it's cool how they've been recognized and accepted by artists like Metallica to Lady Gaga alike. And from what I know, they're infamous for their live performances having really hyped audiences.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
This doom metal band has been around for a while apparently but I hadn't caught on to them until they released this new album. Some beautiful female clean singing mixed with some of the best harsh male vocals I've heard in the greater metal genre in a long, long time. Beautiful, epic, crushing. Check this one out, guys/gals.

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This doom metal band has been around for a while apparently but I hadn't caught on to them until they released this new album. Some beautiful female clean singing mixed with some of the best harsh male vocals I've heard in the greater metal genre in a long, long time. Beautiful, epic, crushing. Check this one out, guys/gals.

I've known them for nearly as long as I've been into metal since doom was one of the first genres I got into. Listening to this 2020 track for the first time now, and I'm glad they haven't gone down in quality.

They have a lot of great songs. Long ones, though. I highly recommend looking at their older discography, their first two albums are among my doom metal favorites. Linked my favorite three tracks below. Different female vocalist, but still a very competent one.

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
People may think this is sacrilegious to post in a metal thread, but I'm actually obsessed with Babymetal lol. I feel like there are very polarized views about them among metalheads (as far as I know since I'm not super familiar with the genre) - people either think they're a disgrace to metal because they're fun Japanese girls blending the genre with other types of pop music or they think they're fun and enjoyable.

I like Babymetal because a lot of their songs sound like sickening anime openings, and the lead vocalist of the group is actually a pretty talented singer. I also think it's cool how they've been recognized and accepted by artists like Metallica to Lady Gaga alike. And from what I know, they're infamous for their live performances having really hyped audiences.

Though I wouldn't really consider Babymetal to be actual metal, I'm not elitist, and I do enjoy some of their songs. I think the lead vocalist is talented and has charisma. Pop metal is fun to listen to sometimes.

Here's a similar group I like, really silly and not serious, but catchy and they use both j-pop and metal elements in their music due to Ladybeard's influence.

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've tried to get into metal, but I have a hard time when there is no discernible melody or harmony. Not to say I don't enjoy a lot of dissonance and atonalism in music, but my problem with a lot of metal is that even those qualities like dissonance and atonalism tend to get lost in the audio mix and it all ends up sounding like a sludgy wall of noise. So for those, I tend to go to post-rock, proto-punk, kratutrock (i.e. Can and Neu!) or other genres. There are exceptions--I can enjoy some proggy metal like Tool, I like classic Metallica, who did a good job balancing the quiet moments with the crunchy loud moments, early Sabbath (which I define more as hard blues than as metal--the logical continuation of what Cream started), and I like a lot of borderline metal bands like Deftones and Failure. I like Motorhead but to me they are more in the realm of punk and hard rock than in true metal.

Have you tried melodic death metal? Some of it can be quite a bit more dissonant than all the bands you've listed, but a lot of the bands utilize quite nice melodies when they have talented clean vocalists, and balance both quiet moments with louder moments.

I'm kind of immune to dissonance/atonalism so if these recommendations don't fit what you're looking for, I'm sorry.

(They have longass songs, but they're a metal band that's often respected by non-metalhead music lovers.)

(Not my favorite song of theirs, but they're my favorite melodeath band, and this is one of their "catchiest.")

(OP posted this in the first page already, but I will always promote Insomnium.)

Also, many bands combining female and male vocalists do a lot better with utilizing melody while maintaining a dark sound. (Draconian, at the top of this page, is a good example.)

Finally, based on what you've said, you'd probably like a couple of other metal bands that started in the 80s. That's not really my genre of expertise but there's a lot of good thrash, here's some I like.

IDK why I put effort into this post, I'm very bored right now, hopefully something here is of value.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
^would also recommend Dark Tranquillity for accessible melodic death metal. Namely, the new album "momentum". The most clean singing (and the singer/screamer Mikael Stanne has a great voice) in any of their albums to date, but still a good bit of riffy heaviness where you can be assured you're still listening to metal. Omnium Gatherum would be another band recommendation in the same genre. I would suggest their album "Beyond" from 2013.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Gojira just released a new single from their forthcoming album due April 30th.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Zao is one of the bands that got me into heavy music back in like 6th-7th grade. They haven't really put out much that appeals to me since the early 2000s. If the rest of the forthcoming album stays in the same vein as this track, which is the first and only single so far, then I'll be very pleased.