• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

e-learning and online learning

Lark

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, I posted something in random thoughts and I was thinking about posting something in my blog but it would not have got much of an audience there I figured.

Has anyone taken up learning during quarantine? Like bought an e-learning course, subscribed to skills sharing networks, youtubers who are teaching things etc.

I have been working during quarantine, largely, and I'm pretty busy with work as it is but a major training opp I thought may have been open to me is not as yet available so I'm exploring other avenues, which is good as there are non-work related topics or topics peripheral to work which are interesting me or have interested me which I have not done a lot of learning about.

I'm interested in ICT, IT, hardware, software, programming and cracking but I've never focused in or bought any training in the same. I'm also aiming to redirect drives which could otherwise just get wasted reading memes or reading amusing and odd content for the Nth time.

So far two websites that I've looked at are:

| The Great Courses Plus

Online Classes with Skillshare

Both where recommended to me by people online, the first by people on a popular YouTuber's FB group, the second has featured in a lot of trailers or sponsorship on a couple of YouTubers that I follow, they where recommending it mainly for film studies and content creating I think.

Hermit of the Forest

Greetings humans • Hunting
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Yes, I’ve taken a few free online college courses on literature. I’ve enjoyed them very much.

Lark

Yes, I’ve taken a few free online college courses on literature. I’ve enjoyed them very much.

Fantastic, how does this work? Do you have to apply to the college and do you have to attend classes as a sort of part time arrangement or is it wholly online?

This does interest me. We have something called the Open University here in the UK, I dont know if it is the same thing though.

Hermit of the Forest

Greetings humans • Hunting
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Fantastic, how does this work? Do you have to apply to the college and do you have to attend classes as a sort of part time arrangement or is it wholly online?

This does interest me. We have something called the Open University here in the UK, I dont know if it is the same thing though.

I just had to sign up actually, it’s all online. It’s free, but no credit. I don’t mind though, I enjoy learning. :) I’m currently in the middle of the course on Mark Twain’s work.

Hillsdale College Online Courses

Lark

I just had to sign up actually, it’s all online. It’s free, but no credit. I don’t mind though, I enjoy learning. :) I’m currently in the middle of the course on Mark Twain’s work.

Hillsdale College Online Courses

Is there even a certificate or recognition in the absence of a formal qualification or accreditation?

I do enjoy learning stuff, I'm possibly one of the only people I know who reads wikis and will read a chain of related topics one after another.

My brother has recommended W3 a website for programmers and website design, I have not looked at it yet, there was another site he recommended too but it was subscription and he had access to it via his work for training purposes, it dealt with programming languages like python, so a little advanced.

The other brother was less helpful, he said that he does not deal with the sorts of things I was interested in so could recommend nothing, I would like to find the sorts of content on computers that I think used to be included under the heading of a "european union driving licence" for computers, I dont know the proper title but it dealt with hardware much more than programming, some software applications but it was mainly installing updates and stuff like that.

He remembers me doing stuff with the old PC and figures its just a lack of motivation leads to my being less able to navigate stuff now but the tech really has changed, immensely, I find since back in the day when defragmenting your disk usually fixed things or running single spyware or anti-virus programs increased the speed or functionality of your PC and you had to have a physical cable which went into a phone socket to connect with the web.