• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What older series or shows have you been watching since lockdown began?

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
mad men (amazing, top 3 GOAT, holds up)
the leftovers (first time watching, loved it, very underrated)
real housewives of new york (best real housewives cast)
sex and the city (cringe yet comforting)
king of the hill (always, perfect show)
tiger king (fun but never want to hear about it again)

i have not yet decided my next victim

Lark

mad men (amazing, top 3 GOAT, holds up)
real housewives of new york (best real housewives cast)
sex and the city (cringe yet comforting)
king of the hill (always, perfect show)
tiger king (fun but never want to hear about it again)

I love King of The Hill.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

The Leftovers is one of my favorite series ever. It never tried to provide easy answers, while still remaining on target theme-wise, and really in the end just comes back down to the people. The universe is full of questions and we just have each other.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I keep misreading this title as your "Older sister showers" and I have to a double take. I hope your older sister showers i mean i don't know i don't watch her.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I often think of Jermaine talking about Yoko Ono (although he isn't talking about her, just saying oh no). It's not even funny but it is funny, you know. His delivery is flawless and dry, it's my favorite flavor of humor.

Heh heh. Yeah, his delivery and timing are great. I'm pretty sure I'd feel entertained just listening to him read a grocery list. :laugh:

It took me years to get mt ENFJ to watch it and he's finally come around. He's also never watched The Wire smh.

The Wire is such an amazing series. Truly.

I liked Getting On too. Those other shows aren't even showing up in searches, so I guess HBO doesn't even want to own up to even having made them. :laugh:

I enjoy that, but I still have yet to watch the last episode.

Haven't seen the movie, but evidently they used a lot of rejected props from Lord of the Rings in it, according to Waititi.

The last episode was about Colin Robinson. I think the addition of an "energy vampire" to the show was genius, and it's probably why I like the show more than the movie. Also, the series has Matt Berry - who I didn't especially like before, but I think he's perfect for this role.

LOL about LotR leftover props!

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I liked Getting On too. Those other shows aren't even showing up in searches, so I guess HBO doesn't even want to own up to even having made them. :laugh:

No way! I also liked those shorts called Animals. They were funny and weird and a little gross but at least HBO owns up to them lol.

Z Buck McFate

Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
To anyone who watches Community: the 70s sci-fi movie parodied in the MeowMeowBeans episode is now streaming on Hulu. It's called Zardoz.
ad19f1991684dfaf52c48b0785a1deb6.png

No way! I also liked those shorts called Animals. They were funny and weird and a little gross but at least HBO owns up to them lol.

One of those shows you mentioned eventually turned up in a "you may also like" list: Jamie. I get HBO through Hulu, and I think Hulu's search engine just really sucks. I've had trouble with it before. (Haven't watched Jamie yet, but I added it to my queue).

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I watched some old South Park, but really old, going back to the early seasons. Being such a topical show, it's weird to be reminded of pop culture going-ons and politics from 1999

I also rewatched the entire 2 seasons of The Orville. Still better than STD and Picard.

I watched both seasons of Cobra Kai, then I went back and watched all 4 of the original Karate Kid films and immediately rewatched Cobra Kai. It all fits together pretty well and I like how the series feels like a seamless expansion of the universe. really great world building. They don't just reference the first, most popular film either, but dig deeper and reference shit from the less popular sequels. That shows the writers are pretty faithful fans and know their references, that they didn't just mine the first film for the most obvious references like crane kicks and flies in chopsticks. I wish the writers of the new Trek shows had put as much energy into maintaining that level of continuity.

Not a TV show but I rewatched the Predator films. I think Part 2 is my favorite now. I used to dislike it but I've come to appreciate it. Danny Glover is a versatile actor and a lot of critics and fans were just butthurt Arnold didn't come back, but I really don't see how Arnold would've improved the film. It would've made it a run-of-the-mill Arnold action vehicle.

Also thinking about brushing off my copy of Monkey Dust and maybe catching up on Fear the Walking Dead. Though I'm just having trouble maintaining any real interest in FTWD at this point. Or Fear the Walking Morgan as some are now calling it.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I only recently discovered this show, and I'm already rewatching it. It's really Goddamn funny, and somehow getting funnier the second time watching.

Have you watched What We Do In The Shadows? Jemaine Clement co-writes it (he was in the movie, but only writes/directs the series - both are good, I'm inclined to like the series more). He's the reason I started watching Flight Of the Conchords.
I know this is old but I've been watching What We Do In The Shadows. It's so good, I'm not sure why I waited.

Joe Pera Talks With You is on HBO Max and I could just put that show on a loop all the time. There is a Season 3 starts Nov. 7.

Z Buck McFate

Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Joe Pera Talks With You is on HBO Max and I could just put that show on a loop all the time. There is a Season 3 starts Nov. 7.

"...and worrying about my upcoming move to Canada,..." :laugh: This is pretty funny.

(Edit because I hit post on accident).

Have you seen the movie too? The series is a spin off of the movie, and Clement is in the movie. He writes the series and stars in a couple episodes, but is a main character in the movie.

Wellington Paranormal is another spinoff from the movie which Clement also writes, and is really funny (even reminds me a bit of Flight of the Conchord). HBOnow just picked it up past month: first two seasons are available, third season starts soon.

Last edited:

Paisley

Strolling Through The Shire
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Shows I marathoned during lockdown:

1. LOST - Twice, it's so good! Greatest Series Ever Made! I'm such a huge fan of LOST, I have the digital version, all the Blu-ray & DVD box sets, 4 posters, and a mug! lolz! :LOL: Desmond Hume ftw!

"What are you running from Desmond?" "I have to get my honor back. And that's what I'm running to!"

2. Parks and Recreation - I have the apron that says "Give me all of the bacon and eggs you have!" Such an addicting show.

3. Fringe - A really great show to re-watch, for being a thriller scifi, there are a lot of comedic and heartfelt moments. Season 3 was really bad though. Season 5, although dumb, I really loved.

"Music helps you shift perspective to see things differently if you need to." "See things like hope?" "Yes, very much like that."
"Nobody wants to find Olivia more than I do, but you're gonna need some pants Walter." "I'm aware I'm not wearing pants Peter, I'm not an idiot!"

4. White Collar - The digital remaster on Apple is a great improvement. It was an easy binge, even if it was a bit repetitive.

5. Eureka - It only took a decade, but the blu-ray box set was finally released in August of 2020! Amazing, I loved the special features and of course the sound.

6. Friday Night Lights - Except for season 1, the music on dvd & digital was different from the original televised versions on NBC and Direct TV back in the day, that it kinda ruined it. :thumbdown: Glad I remember the good music. During certain scenes, I muted the show, and put on the correct song, and re-watched it! :LOL: It was that bad. An example is in season 3 episode 3 called "How the Other Half Lives" the song at the end is supposed to be "This is the Thing" by Fink, and they replaced it with this low energy somber song, which really deflated the tension the original song created for the scene. Other than the music really upsetting me, season 6 was way better than I remember it, no wonder it won so many Emmy's. Great show!

"Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose!"

7. Community - Some episodes I totally didn't remember like Grifting 101, which is rare for me. "Troy and Abed in the morrrrrning!"

Last edited:

RadicalDoubt

Alongside Questionable Clarity
MBTI Type
TiSi
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I watched most of Dr. Who (although to be fair, not the one from like the 1950s or whenever it was initially made) as well as, by recommendation, parts of Monk

Saturnal Snowqueen

Solastalgia 𓍊𓋼𓍊𓋼𓍊
MBTI Type
FELV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I have a not so guilty pleasure for Facts of Life. I'm really into Natalie, she's basically me as an extrovert, but I love all the characters. I liked season 1 a lot because there were more characters, I liked all the girls' unique personalities, though I see why they made the decision they did to axe half the characters. Just living out my boarding school fantasies with this show. I have a guilty pleasure for "Special Episodes" cause I like that sudden twisted darkness and seeing kind of messages that were being sent in the past. They were done pretty well in this series, fairly realistic and not too cheesy. Jo and Blaire are also savage, while Natalie has her own kind of humor. I love just watching the characters grow, both in a physiological and emotional sense. Lots of sex talk, too..And yeah, vintage self likes seeing how everything was in the late 70s/early-mid 80s.

fatgurl

ARMY
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
Vikings, it's not that old but I know it has ended for a while now.

Burning Paradigm

Vibe Curator & Night Owl
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I watched Fawlty Towers and HIMYM (man, people were not kidding about how shit the ending was). I also rewatched The Sopranos and watched Downton Abbey for the first time.

Paisley

Strolling Through The Shire
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
I watched Fawlty Towers and HIMYM (man, people were not kidding about how shit the ending was). I also rewatched The Sopranos and watched Downton Abbey for the first time.
Ya, the final season of HIMYM was the weakest. Too serious and off brand. The rest of the show is so quotable though, like the Burger episode, "I love this burger so much I want to sew my ass shut." Regis was awesome in that episode. Also the liberty bell episode, "You can grab life by the crack and lick the crap out of it!" :ROFLMAO: "Philly!"

Fawlty Towers is awesome, Basil Fawlty is just the worst. So funny!

I got to mid season 2 of The Sopranos and hated it, so I stopped and never went back. Same thing with the Wire. If I'm not enjoying the ride, why continue? Not sure how anyone likes them.

I'm still traumatized by what happened to Matthew Crawley on Downtown Abbey, what a waste.

If I'm in the mood, New Girl might be the next binge. Been too long. SpiderHunt is probably one of my favorite sitcom episodes/moments ever, top 5 for sure.

Last edited:

Z Buck McFate

Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've been watching Moonlighting. The fighting chemistry between Maddie and David is really pretty good. It's well written, and - though I'm not especially a fan of either Willis or Shepard - they both do the roles really well. I watched Midnight Run recently too, and thought the same thing. They're both a lot funnier than I remember them being.

I wonder if it was an eighties thing. And I wonder if I was even old enough to appreciate really good fighting chemistry as a teenager. At some point - maybe mid thirties (?) - I started to realize that it actually gets a bit harder to get along with people as we get older, regardless of how good intentions are. People get more specific, personalities sorta congeal, and a big dark cloud of "you kids get off my lawn" moves in - so slowly that it's almost imperceptible. And I think well-written fighting (that's meant to be funny) is just a lot funnier to me now.