Tied to a f@$king couch Tactical Turtleneck's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Default Random Movie Thoughts Thread

I always really wanted Parker and Lambert to make it out with Ripley. Every time I watch, a small part of me still thinks "they might make it."
    RCOAI 9w8 sp/sx INTP

Anarchocapitalists aren’t anarchists; they’re capitalists opposed to regulatory oversight. So, standard capitalists. In case you were wondering.

MBTI
    GHST
    Enneagram
    4w3 sp
    Socionics
    SEA Se

Quote Originally Posted by Officer Ed Powell View Post
    I always really wanted Parker and Lambert to make it out with Ripley. Every time I watch, a small part of me still thinks "they might make it."
    But they never, ever will. Unless of couse the franchise becomes a streaming series. Then you might get a reboot that takes place in an alternate alien 3...

The sea has never been friendly to man. At most it has been the accomplice of human restlessness...

Ocean is more ancient than the mountains, and freighted with the memories and the dreams of Time...

Farewell and adieu to you, Spanish Ladies
    Farewell and adieu to you, ladies of Spain;
    For we've received orders for to sail for old England
    But we hope in a short time to see you again...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by The Cat View Post
    But they never, ever will. Unless of couse the franchise becomes a streaming series. Then you might get a reboot that takes place in an alternate alien 3...
    Can you imagine Parker going back to LV426 with Ripley in Aliens? I doubt Lambert would go, but I could see Parker going back.
    RCOAI 9w8 sp/sx INTP

Anarchocapitalists aren’t anarchists; they’re capitalists opposed to regulatory oversight. So, standard capitalists. In case you were wondering.

Imagine if they hadn’t killed Newt and Hicks before the first scene in Alien 3. I was actually depressed for days after that. To make it out of everything in Aliens only to buy it while immobilized and helpless in a stasis unit off screen. Not cool man. Not cool.
    There is no mysterious essence we can call a 'place'. Place is change. It is motion killed by the mind, and preserved in the amber of memory.
    J. A. Baker

I need something robust. Precise.
    We have grifters in The White House.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Population: 1 View Post
    Imagine if they hadn’t killed Newt and Hicks before the first scene in Alien 3. I was actually depressed for days after that. To make it out of everything in Aliens only to buy it while immobilized and helpless in a stasis unit off screen. Not cool man. Not cool.
    Bothered me too. And apparently James Cameron has voiced his displeasure with that too.

On the other hand, doing that helps the tone of Alien 3 immensely. It establishes right off the bat that the xenomorph doesn't care who is worthy of survival. Anyone is a potential victim, even Ripley. It keeps the Xenomorph a real threat in the film and in that way doesn't let the audience relax too much, knowing that even main characters can die just like that. It's more like the original film in that regard. Although I still think Aliens is superior to Alien 3. Just saying Alien 3 better captured the hopeless feel of the original film.
    RCOAI 9w8 sp/sx INTP

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Jaws franchise is the perfect example of sequel fatigue. In the span of one series, you go from the first film, widely recognized as one of the most popular, well-made monster films in history, to the 4th film, widely regarded as one of the worst films in existence.

For all its faults though, I do have a big soft spot for Jaws II, though it suffered in not having the same or a similar dynamic trio to the first film's protaganists. Mrs Brody and the deputy were great, but they were no Robert Shaw and Richard Dreyfuss. It also breaks some of the rules established in the first film. You'll notice if you watch the first one closely, that the theme music actually only plays when the shark is around. In Jaws II, there's one or two cheap moments where they use the music to build tension, only to establish a false jump scare. The scene when Brody finds the burnt body in the surf, for example. Also, the camera angles in this shot imply the shark is actually watching Brody. The movie is actually borrowing more from slasher movie tropes than the original did. Then there's Brody's laughable suggestion that the Jaws II shark is actually killing for revenge. While it's basically a throwaway line, it's enough to establish the silly premise that each sequel involved vengeful sharks chasing Brody family members. I much prefer the original film where the shark has no real motives beyond hunger.

Had I written Jaws II, I'd actually have followed Hooper's character instead of Brody, and maybe had it set on one of his research vessels. this would make more sense, as it's believable with Hooper's line of work as a marine biologist. It would basically involve a similar plot to the first film, but at least it would be a more plausible premise and not a complete rehash of the first film.
    RCOAI 9w8 sp/sx INTP

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Parker was great, Lambert was a great screamer. I really love Alien, and in part it is because of the diverse crew. (I'm also fond of Sunshine for the same reason.)

For more random Alien trivia: If you read the panels that either show up briefly in Aliens (or maybe on the special release stuff) where they review the crew backgrounds, interestingly both Dallas and Lambert were apparently transsexuals routinely reassigned at a young age according to their profiles.

Quote Originally Posted by Population: 1 View Post
    Fuck that film. I mean, no ill will towards Fincher, he was left holding a bad project. But yeah, it turned me off for YEARS before I rewatched that film, and I'd probably only rewatch it now for Charles Dance.

It is like one of the first rules of franchise film making.

Then James Cameron retaliated by doing it to his own film in Terminator: Dark Fate... although he had more of a method to his madness.

Had I written Jaws II, I'd actually have followed Hooper's character instead of Brody, and maybe had it set on one of his research vessels. this would make more sense, as it's believable with Hooper's line of work as a marine biologist. It would basically involve a similar plot to the first film, but at least it would be a more plausible premise and not a complete rehash of the first film.
    Instead we eventually got Deep Blue Sea and The Meg.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft
    Likes Population: 1 liked this post

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Totenkindly View Post
    Parker was great, Lambert was a great screamer. I really love Alien, and in part it is because of the diverse crew. (I'm also fond of Sunshine for the same reason.)

For more random Alien trivia: If you read the panels that either show up briefly in Aliens (or maybe on the special release stuff) where they review the crew backgrounds, interestingly both Dallas and Lambert were apparently transsexuals routinely reassigned at a young age according to their profiles.
    I saw something recently about Lambert being transsexual but I never realized that was in Parker's file as well!

I have to wonder if reassignment surgery at that point in the future is just a normal, common thing parents do, or perhaps it's done to satisfy some weird government gender quota. The latter wouldn't surprise me given the dystopian future of that universe. Like not to get too political in this thread, but maybe the government realized having a higher ratio of females to males would help to eliminate the growth of incel movements or something weird like that.
    RCOAI 9w8 sp/sx INTP

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I saw something recently about Lambert being transsexual but I never realized that was in Parker's file as well!

I have to wonder if reassignment surgery at that point in the future is just a normal, common thing parents do, or perhaps it's done to satisfy some weird government gender quota. The latter wouldn't surprise me given the dystopian future of that universe.
    Dallas (captain, Tom Skerritt), not Parker.

Yeah, in the data file it just came off as a routine medical procedure without social stigma, based on psychological assessment.

I remember watching stuff with Veronica Cartwright years later simply because she was in it (usually TV episodes -- she was in an X-File two-parter at one point); I found Lambert really annoying but also very memorable. I love the "deleted" bits too which might be in a master cut, where Lambert goes after Ripley for not letting them back in and there's a huge altercation. That whole freaking cast is so memorable.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft