• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Random Movie Thoughts Thread

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
People get older. It's like a never-ending story.

83fffbf0-9c6a-11eb-afbf-ec7149a98544

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I liked the Cyclops. I think he's the only good Cyclops I've ever seen, unless we count Cyclops from X-Men.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Rather meaty article about a lot of child stars who left acting. Lots of pics too.

14 child stars who quit Hollywood for good

Carrie Henn's first and last movie role was Newt in 1986's "Aliens."

8567.jpg

Henn in "Aliens." 20th Century Fox

Henn was only 9 years old when she was cast as space orphan Newt in "Aliens" — and she had no prior acting experience. The film's director, James Cameron, said "There was a quiet, soulful quality that I was looking for with the character. [Henn] had it."

Even though she didn't love acting, she was talented. Henn ended up winning a Saturn Award for Best Performance by a Younger Actor for her performance as Newt.

Henn hasn't acted since 1986, though she has appeared as herself in a few specials about the making of "Aliens." She became a teacher instead.

5b71f007bda1c721008b45b9

Henn during Comic-Con International 2016. John Sciulli/Getty Images for WIRED

Henn, 44, never appeared as an actress again after "Aliens." She instead became a teacher and has no regrets.

"I would miss being in the classroom," Henn told People in 2001, "I love being in there with the kids."

She did make an appearance at the Comic Con 30th Anniversary panel for "Aliens" in 2016, alongside cast members Sigourney Weaver and Bill Paxton.

Henn really was quite excellent, esp for a first time child actor. But I am glad she found a fulfilling way to spend her life energy.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have never watched Tombstone, oddly -- considering all the really great actors I genuinely like, who happen to be in it.

I watched the first 30 minutes the other night, and was totally blown away by this scene that I assume is famous... it's just so freaking great. And it's got Biehn and Kilmer facing each other down, in their acting prime -- they are both at their top notch acting ability here, Biehn is actually pretty terrifying, not at all like Reese from T1... he has a deathly stare.

Like, Holliday's response just took my breath away. What panache and what skill. These two characters are both obsessive nuts.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Rather meaty article about a lot of child stars who left acting. Lots of pics too.

14 child stars who quit Hollywood for good

Henn really was quite excellent, esp for a first time child actor. But I am glad she found a fulfilling way to spend her life energy.

she looks like the stereotypical teacher. I mean that in the positive sense, I'd feel comfortable leaving my kid with her 8 hours a day.

Is it true Cameron also found Edward Furlong literally off the streets with zero previous acting experience? I seem to remember hearing or reading that somewhere...

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have never watched Tombstone, oddly -- considering all the really great actors I genuinely like, who happen to be in it.

I watched the first 30 minutes the other night, and was totally blown away by this scene that I assume is famous... it's just so freaking great. And it's got Biehn and Kilmer facing each other down, in their acting prime -- they are both at their top notch acting ability here, Biehn is actually pretty terrifying, not at all like Reese from T1... he has a deathly stare.

Like, Holliday's response just took my breath away. What panache and what skill. These two characters are both obsessive nuts.

Despite him being a bit of prima donna in his heyday, I really like Val Kilmer. It's a shame his career and life took a downturn. I even think he was a good Batman and Bruce Wayne with the misfortune of being in a shitty Batman film. He just gets outshined by Carrey, Tommy Lee Jones, and all of the visual puke of that film, but supposing it were a more scaled down film focused on Batman himself, like the first Burton film, I could see him nailing it. I'd love to have seen a Batman Forever with Tim Burton at the helm and Kilmer in the role (although I do prefer Keaton to Kilmer and wish he's hung around a bit longer in the role). It's one of the great what-ifs of movie history for me, right up there with what if Lazenby ignored his agent's advice and assigned a multi-film 007 contract with Broccoli and Saltzman.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
and to answer my own question about Lazenby and what if he'd done 6 or 7 more Bond films instead of quitting..

I think he'd be more highly regarded in the present day, rather than being viewed as a fluke and a walking mistake--he wouldn't be unanimously considered the greatest Bond (that will always go to Connery, most likely), but he'd have a sizable army of loyalists behind him. I think his version of Bond would've been like a hybrid of Dalton and Brosnan. Dangerous and jaded like Dalton, but also with the boyish charm of Brosnan. I think after his second or third film, he'd have fully escaped the shadow of Connery and cemented his own style. Every new Bond actor except for maybe Dalton and Craig seemed to take at least a film or two to find their footing and establish themselves as their own unique version of 007. I think he would have become a decent, if not great actor, and gone on to a respectable career instead of ending up in embarrassing expoloitation B movies. It really is a shame he took the path he did, and I could sense the regret when I watched that recent documentary on his life, even though he downplayed it and seems to have made a good life for himself despite the fact of making one of the biggest mistakes. Also, we probably never would have had Moore as Bond, since by the time Lazenby finished his run, Moore would be too old for the role. That last point I have mixed feelings on, as I really do love the Roger Moore period, but what I wouldn't give to cross over into the parallel universe where Lazenby was in 5-7 007 movies and see those films. I believe in the multiverse so it's almost a certainty that this reality exists somewhere in spacetime

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
she looks like the stereotypical teacher. I mean that in the positive sense, I'd feel comfortable leaving my kid with her 8 hours a day.

Is it true Cameron also found Edward Furlong literally off the streets with zero previous acting experience? I seem to remember hearing or reading that somewhere...

Thats what I've heard, but I don't recall where. His performance had good moments. But not as consistently good as Henn's.

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
and to answer my own question about Lazenby and what if he'd done 6 or 7 more Bond films instead of quitting..

I think he'd be more highly regarded in the present day, rather than being viewed as a fluke and a walking mistake--he wouldn't be unanimously considered the greatest Bond (that will always go to Connery, most likely), but he'd have a sizable army of loyalists behind him. I think his version of Bond would've been like a hybrid of Dalton and Brosnan. Dangerous and jaded like Dalton, but also with the boyish charm of Brosnan. I think after his second or third film, he'd have fully escaped the shadow of Connery and cemented his own style. Every new Bond actor except for maybe Dalton and Craig seemed to take at least a film or two to find their footing and establish themselves as their own unique version of 007. I think he would have become a decent, if not great actor, and gone on to a respectable career instead of ending up in embarrassing expoloitation B movies. It really is a shame he took the path he did, and I could sense the regret when I watched that recent documentary on his life, even though he downplayed it and seems to have made a good life for himself despite the fact of making one of the biggest mistakes. Also, we probably never would have had Moore as Bond, since by the time Lazenby finished his run, Moore would be too old for the role. That last point I have mixed feelings on, as I really do love the Roger Moore period, but what I wouldn't give to cross over into the parallel universe where Lazenby was in 5-7 007 movies and see those films. I believe in the multiverse so it's almost a certainty that this reality exists somewhere in spacetime

I remember reading somewhere that the perfect Bond movie would have been a Connery-led version of On Her Majesty's Secret Service. I haven't seen it, so I don't have an opinion on the matter.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I remember reading somewhere that the perfect Bond movie would have been a Connery-led version of On Her Majesty's Secret Service. I haven't seen it, so I don't have an opinion on the matter.

This would be a good what if scenario.

I would hope Connery would give it his all, because he had gotten bored with the role by this point. This would have been a good opportunity to flex his acting muscles though, since the film shows Bond at his most vulnerable. One of my major issues with the Connery and Moore films is that they rarely showed Bond as vulnerable or multi dimensional. On the other hand, Lazenby came across a tad wooden at moments, although considering he had little prior acting experience, I think he did okay.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I do not understand the question

That's the procedure Jesse Ventura was undergoing at the very beginning of Abraxas. I think that's the first line of dialogue in the movie, accompanied with close ups of Ventura squirming around and groaning. They really draw you in.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That's the procedure Jesse Ventura was undergoing at the very beginning of Abraxas. I think that's the first line of dialogue in the movie, accompanied with close ups of Ventura squirming around and groaning. They really draw you in.

Oh shiet I forgot. Been a while since I saw it. It was one of those things I caught on late night Cinemax as a kid