• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Random Movie Thoughts Thread

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Picture Bowie in these scenes. I really think it’s a shame he turned this part down, he would’ve crushed it, although I still love Walken.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think Poltergeist is Tobe Hooper’s movie. Everything Spielberg produced in the 80s looked like Spielberg. Tobe deserves more credit. It’s proof of his abilities with a big budget behind him

Interesting. There's some stuff in the movie that is legit pretty gross and disgusting (the chicken comes to mind as a thing that's seared into my brain). Not sure Spielberg would do that. Has he ever really done horror any other time? I suppose the closest is War of the Worlds.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Interesting. There's some stuff in the movie that is legit pretty gross and disgusting (the chicken comes to mind as a thing that's seared into my brain). Not sure Spielberg would do that. Has he ever really done horror any other time? I suppose the closest is War of the Worlds.

I wondered the same. Technically Jurassic Park and Jaws, but both are mostly light on the gore and have more of a family friendly fantasy action tone to me. Saving Private Ryan was heavy on gore but he was going for a war movie realism there.

Lost World felt like his homage to classic big monsters like King Kong

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This here is just lazy journalism. They write that Lucas directed the first two SW films..... but Kershner directed Empire. It was the one Lucas was least involved in of the OT. The author couldn’t even be bothered to check IMDB or Wikipedia first?

The Mystery Behind The Real ‘Return Of The Jedi’ Director | Rare

Otherwise, yes, I’d say Lucas was the ghost director. This was basically a big Hollywood version of a TV show (where producers and writers carry more weight than directors) at this point. It’s understandable he wanted to stay heavily involved in overseeing the shoot.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Shudder was selling a year's subscription for 31% off -- so I got it for under $40.

Which I thought was a fine deal, since there's some stuff on there I didn't find elsewhere (including Argento flicks). I have about 27 things already bookmarked that I plan to watch. Even Sleepaway Camp is on there, lol -- old horror films I never saw and might as well watch.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Shudder was selling a year's subscription for 31% off -- so I got it for under $40.

Which I thought was a fine deal, since there's some stuff on there I didn't find elsewhere (including Argento flicks). I have about 27 things already bookmarked that I plan to watch. Even Sleepaway Camp is on there, lol -- old horror films I never saw and might as well watch.

We got it as an anniversary/early xmas gift. I would suggest AMC+, as I think you get access to the entire Shudder catalog IIRC.

My wife and I have pretty different tastes in film and TV but we overlap with a strong love for horror

She actually watched Motel Hell with me and loved it

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So to be fair, I would say Hooper and Spielberg co-directed Poltergeist. I think Spielberg did want to direct it initially but ultimately took a mentor/collaborator role in directing due to union rules. Some of it is just vintage Hooper and I can’t see Spielberg coming up with some of the set pieces

But the “Spielberg glow” is unmistakable. But like I said earlier, most movies he produced had that polish.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=7]Totenkindly[/MENTION] Have you seen April Fool’s Day (the original)?

Cool twist ending that caught me off guard. Usually I’m really good at predicting twists

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So to be fair, I would say Hooper and Spielberg co-directed Poltergeist. I think Spielberg did want to direct it initially but ultimately took a mentor/collaborator role in directing due to union rules. Some of it is just vintage Hooper and I can’t see Spielberg coming up with some of the set pieces

But the “Spielberg glow” is unmistakable. But like I said earlier, most movies he produced had that polish.

Yeah I have seen various things written about it over the years -- it was supposed to be Spielberg, but Hooper was the director in name while people on the set have been giving Spielberg varying levels of credit during the actual filming. I dunno.

It definitely has a Spielberg feel to the overall look at times, but some of it doesn't feel Spielberg-ish. It isn't coherent in the same way that seems to match Spielberg's normal logic of putting things together. I was actually bored with a lot of it, I'll be honest -- although that is coming after watching many many years of newer horror first. I only saw it once, within the last few years mainly because I felt I needed to see it, and have no desire to watch it ever again.

That's not really a bust on Hooper, I really like The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and the end of that film is exhilarating in its crazy energy (in a more transcendent way than Rob Zombie, although House of 1000 Corpses had a zany kind of exhilaration to it as well).

Have you seen April Fool’s Day (the original)?

Cool twist ending that caught me off guard. Usually I’m really good at predicting twists

The one from 1986? No, I haven't, yet.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Haven't seen any Argento but I did see Blood & Black Lace by Mario Bava and that's worth checking out, if you haven't seen it.

Tonight I'm trying to decide between the original Burr-less Godzilla and Total Recall. I'm leaning towards Total Recall. The films of Paul Verhoeven must be studied by the righteous to gain enlightenment.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[MENTION=4660]Julius_Van_Der_Beak[/MENTION] look at what Joe Don mixes and drinks right before Deniro gets him. That’s like something Mitchell or Sheriff Geronimo might drink

Wow, I never thought of using Pepto - Bismol as an ingredient in cocktails.

I was hoping milk would be involved, though. Look at the silly American drinking milk!

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I had changed my mind to Godzilla, but it looks like it isn't on TCM anymore. I think I'm going to go with Curse Of Frankenstein.

I was hoping they'd have the Masque of the Red Death with Vincent Price, but alas..... Perhaps it was considered insensitive to show it. It's probably my second favorite Poe story, the first being "Hop-Frog" (which is apparently also incorporated into the movie somehow).

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I had changed my mind to Godzilla, but it looks like it isn't on TCM anymore. I think I'm going to go with Curse Of Frankenstein.

I was hoping they'd have the Masque of the Red Death with Vincent Price, but alas..... Perhaps it was considered insensitive to show it. It's probably my second favorite Poe story, the first being "Hop-Frog" (which is apparently also incorporated into the movie somehow).
That one is on Shudder. (Masque)

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Wow, I never thought of using Pepto - Bismol as an ingredient in cocktails.

I was hoping milk would be involved, though. Look at the silly American drinking milk!

I half expected his character to start telling Nick Nolte’s character about the pros and cons of beef and pork ribs.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Haven't seen any Argento but I did see Blood & Black Lace by Mario Bava and that's worth checking out, if you haven't seen it.

Tonight I'm trying to decide between the original Burr-less Godzilla and Total Recall. I'm leaning towards Total Recall. The films of Paul Verhoeven must be studied by the righteous to gain enlightenment.

Deep Red is good, you can get a sense of how much he influenced American slashers. I like how American slashers grew both out of Italian giallos and grittier American exploitation films like Texas Chainsaw

Not sure if Phenomena is available but I always liked that one too.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
We just watched Color Out of Space on Shudder. It’s adapted from one of my favorite Lovecraft stories. Some of the creature effects reminded me of Carpenter’s The Thing, but then I guess Carpenter borrowed somewhat from Lovecraft, so it made sense. My son picked this one, good choice. I thought it was about as good a Hollywood style adaptation of the story as could be expected, but my expectations weren’t super high to begin with. Enjoyed it. Obviously it’s not possible to visually create an unknown color, so instead the film starts with very natural earthy colors, then gradually introduces “unnnatural” tones of violet which resemble UV light. Nic Cage was Nic Cage, but at points he seemed to be doing a Trump impression with his voice.

I did not realize this was a Richard Stanley film. Glad to see he’s returning to directing big budget style movies now. I had seen the documentary Lost Soul, about the production of Dr Moreau, and can see how that experience might have soured him on the politics behind studio films. That documentary is far more interesting than the film it’s based on. So it’s good he’s clawed his way back into the game.

I was reading Color is the first in an intended trilogy of Lovecraft adaptations he is planning.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Wow, it really is like Hitler's army in 45.

For all their emphasis on military prowess... the humans really are losing towards the end of this movie.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Wow, it really is like Hitler's army in 45.

For all their emphasis on military prowess... the humans really are losing towards the end of this movie.

Verhoeven meant that film to be satire critical of blind patriotism. It’s funny how a generation of right wing millennials have misinterpreted this film as pro fascist, though understandable given Heinlein’s political leanings. I’ve read that Verhoeven had trouble getting through the novel because of the overt jingoism in it

I actually think Verhoeven was pretty clever and subversive with satire in his movies. Robocop is a pretty scathing take on the role of police in capitalist society—but again, many took it at face value as an endorsement of tough on crime policies. It’s telling that actual citizens are really not seen as victims so much (they’re overall pretty marginal in it), whereas the plot focuses on wrong done to a slimy corporate executive and the protagonist’s efforts to punish those responsible. And Murphy, while asserting his individuality at the end, is ultimately devoid of his original sense of self and ends the film as a proud servant for corporate masters

Both Robocop and a Starship Troopers also seem to be critical of how militarism and patriotism erase individuality and dehumanize cops and soldiers by dangling dreams of heroism in front of them.

Total Recall is a little more straightforward action, but even it isn’t totally devoid of satire and social commentary. The product placement on Mars is plentiful and this was intentional on Verhoeven’s part, from what I’ve read, but the intention wasn’t to sell soda and USA MARS Today Newspapers

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Verhoeven meant that film to be satire critical of blind patriotism. It’s funny how a generation of right wing millennials have misinterpreted this film as pro fascist, though understandable given Heinlein’s political leanings. I’ve read that Verhoeven had trouble getting through the novel because of the overt jingoism in it

I actually think Verhoeven was pretty clever and subversive with satire in his movies. Robocop is a pretty scathing take on the role of police in capitalist society—but again, many took it at face value as an endorsement of tough on crime policies. It’s telling that actual citizens are really not seen as victims so much (they’re overall pretty marginal in it), whereas the plot focuses on wrong done to a slimy corporate executive and the protagonist’s efforts to punish those responsible. And Murphy, while asserting his individuality at the end, is ultimately devoid of his original sense of self and ends the film as a proud servant for corporate masters

Both Robocop and a Starship Troopers also seem to be critical of how militarism and patriotism erase individuality and dehumanize cops and soldiers by dangling dreams of heroism in front of them.

Total Recall is a little more straightforward action, but even it isn’t totally devoid of satire and social commentary. The product placement on Mars is plentiful and this was intentional on Verhoeven’s part, from what I’ve read, but the intention wasn’t to sell soda and USA MARS Today Newspapers

Starship Troopers is such a prescient movie that anticipates the next decade so well. It's not surprising at all to me that critics in the late 90s didn't get it.

I heard on a podcast that you could look at Robocop, Total Recall, and Starship Troopers as part of a trilogy all taking place in the same universe across a period of time. Starship Troopers is what the world of Robocop turns into after the capitalism of Robocop implodes.

I still haven't seen Total Recall, so I don't have much insight on that.