• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Random Movie Thoughts Thread

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
A list of Colin Farrell's best films.

I think he's been rather cool, because he's a pretty face that never just depended on that -- he actually was underrated for some time and is actually a solid actor with a lot of range.

I remember first seeing him (probably?) in Minority Report, as Danny Witwer, investigating Cruise's character -- and how he played it, bringing multiple dimensions to a character that might have at first seemed like a one-dimensional antagonist.

I should also point out his turn in True Detective Season 2. The convoluted, disconnected plotting drove off some viewers, but he and Rachel McAdams were just top notch.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member

I think he's been rather cool, because he's a pretty face that never just depended on that -- he actually was underrated for some time and is actually a solid actor with a lot of range.

I remember first seeing him (probably?) in Minority Report, as Danny Witwer, investigating Cruise's character -- and how he played it, bringing multiple dimensions to a character that might have at first seemed like a one-dimensional antagonist.

I should also point out his turn in True Detective Season 2. The convoluted, disconnected plotting drove off some viewers, but he and Rachel McAdams were just top notch.
Did you ever see In Bruges?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Did you ever see In Bruges?
yes!!

Although it was awhile ago. I should rewatch it. I just remember the ending and the main gist of the character arcs.

I wish more people talked about Brendan Gleeson as well. Glad Domhnall is doing some good work.

The Cat

Staff member
yes!!

Although it was awhile ago. I should rewatch it. I just remember the ending and the main gist of the character arcs.

I wish more people talked about Brendan Gleeson as well. Glad Domhnall is doing some good work.
I love Brendan Gleeson, he's one of my favorite actors. In Bruges was such a tight movie; it was the last "criminal" movie I was able to watch all the way through. I will never forget Ralf Fiennes yelling: "You're an inanimate fucking object!"

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
All I can hope is that it is actually funny. (the jokes in the trailer could have been tighter.)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I love Brendan Gleeson, he's one of my favorite actors. In Bruges was such a tight movie; it was the last "criminal" movie I was able to watch all the way through. I will never forget Ralf Fiennes yelling: "You're an inanimate fucking object!"
Fiennes is pretty versatile, I tend to like him a lot too although he's kind of oversaturated. Made me appreciate unexpected performances like "Strange Days" by him, and I should also get around to watching "The Grand Budapest Hotel" sometime. I really like how he typically underplayed Valdemort... although that kind of understatedness didn't feel as fresh in The Menu.

The Cat

Staff member
Fiennes is pretty versatile, I tend to like him a lot too although he's kind of oversaturated. Made me appreciate unexpected performances like "Strange Days" by him, and I should also get around to watching "The Grand Budapest Hotel" sometime. I really like how he typically underplayed Valdemort... although that kind of understatedness didn't feel as fresh in The Menu.
Strange Days is one of the best movies out there, I wish more people had paid attention to it back int he 90's I damn sure wish more people would pay attention to it since we've been living it the last few years. Low key considered Lana Nero as a name change option for a bit, but thought it might be a bit too on the nose for me. Speaking of over saturated Actors, this was during the rise of Tom Seizmore...

Last edited:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Strange Days is one of the best movies out there, I wish more people had paid attention to it back int he 90's I damn sure wish more people would pay attention to it since we've been living it the last few years. Low key considered Lana Nero as a name change option for a bit, but thought it might be a bit too on the nose for me. Speaking of over saturated Actors, this was during the rise of Tom Seizmore...
I love Strange Days -- basically a James Cameron film (with the tightness of his 80-90's writing, it feels very much like his other films of that time period) that he handed off to Kathryn Bigelow to direct. And Fiennes is playing such an atypical anti-hero character for him, supported by Angela "Mace" freaking Bassett and Juliette Lewis at the top of her typecast form, lol. (And ol' raspyvoice himself, Michael Wincott? Plus, heck, Vincent D'Onofrio and William Fichtner!)

I had to dig around to get a decent copy of the film, I don't think it is STILL out in Bluray in the US and I had to find an unmarred DVD of it.

Lana Nero, lol. Interesting choice.

Yeah, Tom Sizemore and I share a bday. I think I liked him most in Heat and Saving Private Ryan, but he's kind of problematic at times.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

I watch Grand Budapest Hotel every December. I see it as the perfect winter movie. It just perfectly captures that atmosphere.

The soundtrack is incredible also. Give a listen to Canto at Gabelmeister's Peak.

I think this is the only thing I've seen Fiennes in where he isn't the villain.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band is a glorious trainwreck of a movie. It's sooooo stupid.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

Personally, I've always loved the Michael Mann Miami Vice. Never understood all the hate directed at it although, it's getting something of a redemption recently. S2 True Detective absolutely was shit due to crazy writing and plots dead ending but not because of the acting, I agree. But one Colin Farrell movie I will watch over and over is The New World (another Malick film). It has its criticisms, true, and it somewhat whitewashes the real John Smith but it's so lovely to watch, imo. He also has a tiny role in Horrible Bosses that never ceases to make me laugh when I see it.

Speaking of Ralph Fines I watched The Menu last night. I laughed out loud so many times my husband came in and asked me what was so funny and "isn't this suppose to be a horror movie?" I also think you would love Grand Budapest Hotel. As a Wes Anderson fan, I try to see all his movies but this one is a favorite. Weirdly, it took me awhile to get the Schindler's List funk off him for me to watch his films but I'm glad I did. He really is at his best as some variation of a monster/unlikeable person but he's gracefully and effortlessly funny, it catches you off-guard if you aren't expecting it.

Last edited:

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I watch Grand Budapest Hotel every December. I see it as the perfect winter movie. It just perfectly captures that atmosphere.

The soundtrack is incredible also. Give a listen to Canto at Gabelmeister's Peak.

I think this is the only thing I've seen Fiennes in where he isn't the villain.
My mom got me a book on Wes Anderson's films and it comes in a box that looks like a box from Mendl's. It is the perfect winter movie.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band is a glorious trainwreck of a movie. It's sooooo stupid.
lol I saw this movie in the theater. I mean I was like 10. I have seen it since and to consider The Bee Gees and Peter Frampton as the most obvious seasoned actors in which to play musicians with magical instruments had to happen in some cocaine/booze haze. But it was the 70's after all.

The Cat

Staff member
I dont know why, but Wes Anderson Films(with the exception of the fantastic mr fox) really leave me with a visceral feeling of wrongness. I feel like Im watching a profoundly unsettling psychological horror. Its a similar feeling I think to the unsettling feeling I get when checking out Jordan Peele's horror, except Jordan is honest with us about what kind of movie we're watching. By far the creepiest thing for me, is watching Wes Anderson movies with other people...because it feels like we're watching two different movies. I feel utterly alien when trying to discuss the films or why i keep getting anxiety attacks when i watch them. The Royal Tennenbaums feels like being in a hospital where everyone is bleeding from the eyes nose and ears but doesnt seem to notice, and the Life Aquatic feels like watching a movie in Purgatory somehow. Like if Im very quiet and still maybe it will move past me and I can escape. Its so bizzare, but literal physical fear responses...even typing this, my hands sweat and I feel skittish, like Bill Murray is rising slowly up behind me to give me clammy hugs and tell me that Hell is repetition.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Personally, I've always loved the Michael Mann Miami Vice. Never understood all the hate directed at it although, it's getting something of a redemption recently.
Haven't seen it yet, and I see it has a hell of a cast -- it's on Hulu, so I will probably check it out. Mann is interesting, his Manhunter adaptation of Harris' "Red Dragon" did not really appeal to me, but I could probably watch Heat a few times a month without getting bored, I just love that film so much.

S2 True Detective absolutely was shit due to crazy writing and plots dead ending but not because of the acting, I agree. But one Colin Farrell movie I will watch over and over is The New World (another Malick film). It has its criticisms, true, and it somewhat whitewashes the real John Smith but it's so lovely to watch, imo. He also has a tiny role in Horrible Bosses that never ceases to make me laugh when I see it.
A New World was one of the few films I didn't see on Farrell's best of list, but hey it is Malick. I did actually see Horrible Bosses some years back, lol... don't remember much, just that it was kind of amusing.

Speaking of Ralph Fines I watched The Menu last night. I laughed out loud so many times my husband came in and asked me what was so funny and "isn't this suppose to be a horror movie?" I also think you would love Grand Budapest Hotel. As a Wes Anderson fan, I try to see all his movies but this one is a favorite. Weirdly, it took me awhile to get the Schindler's List funk off him for me to watch his films but I'm glad I did. He really is at his best as some variation of a monster/unlikeable person but he's gracefully and effortlessly funny, it catches you off-guard if you aren't expecting it.

I agree, I went in expecting more of a horror and it ended up being over the top enough to feel a bit like farce and is comedy-horror (horror only in the trappings? I didn't particularly ever feel scared, it's just dark murderous humor, lol!) The film itself is a bit thin (although perfectly great at what it does), but Fiennes there basically makes his nuanced performance look deceptively simple -- he's so great at the role he played that it just felt effortless, all while I am having trouble thinking of anyone else who could have done it so perfectly. he could shift nuanced directions on a dime and keeps the movie on the high wire through some pretty crazy plot points.

I am pretty fond of Taylor-Joy and Hoult too in general.