• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Random Movie Thoughts Thread

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
just saying, we see the walt regret over krazy 8, mike, and especially jane. the moments i would list as pure heisenberg are semi rare. There's the confrontation with Tuco ("this is not meth"), the "I am the danger" speech, the poolside beef with Hank, and "i say when we're done" as just a few that jump to mind as better examples of "heisenberg moments" in the show.
do I have to thwap you on the head with a coconut?

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Apparently there's a Ronnie Dobbs movie. Has anyone seen it? Wondering if it's any good... as awesome a premise as it is, can you drag it out to feature length? (I guess that's never stopped SNL, though.) Cross and Odenkirk are unhappy with it; but then, King didn't like Kubrick's shining.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Apparently there's a Ronnie Dobbs movie. Has anyone seen it? Wondering if it's any good... as awesome a premise as it is, can you drag it out to feature length? (I guess that's never stopped SNL, though.) Cross and Odenkirk are unhappy with it; but then, King didn't like Kubrick's shining.
I wish they’d just done a Meaning of Life styled anthology film. Run Ronnie Run had some really funny bits but overall I felt like they dragged it out just like a lot of snl movies.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What if The Thing had been a huge hit and then several years later James Cameron decided to do a sequel featuring Kurt Russell heading back to Antarctica with a team of marines to finish off the creature?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What if The Thing had been a huge hit and then several years later James Cameron decided to do a sequel featuring Kurt Russell heading back to Antarctica with a team of marines to finish off the creature?
It would have been called "The Things"?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Saw Dr Strange 2 today. Was pretty disappointed from a story and writing perspective (the writer barely has any credits aside from Loki, which was only marginal in quality even if it wasn't as muddled as TFATWS). There were a few sequences I liked / found inventive (and I credit those to Raimi), but kind of a failure of imagination and also a lack of continuity / lack of commitment to character over plot.

I am just really disappointed in Phase 4, as now it's about two thirds done and just has been a real step down due to the less adequate writing/plotting and continuity. Nothing has really been super, this Phase. I am hoping a bit for Thor 4 and all my hopes are pinned on Guardians 3 (because Gunn hasn't failed me yet), but damn -- is there any vision for what this Phase is about? it all feels like throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks. it's all mostly tropey and rehash, and involves hiring good actors hoping they can make thin writing/directing actually work.

Even Spiderman 3 had a pretty slow start -- it really only becomes a great film at about mid-point.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If the conclusion to the Jurassic franchise ends up being the best general audience film I see this year, I'm gonna be annoyed.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
If the conclusion to the Jurassic franchise ends up being the best general audience film I see this year, I'm gonna be annoyed.
I haven't been interested enough in either of the Jurassic World movies. In fact apart from the original I've only seen The Lost World. I loved the original as a kid (Even had a backpack and lunch box) but I never felt the need to see variations on it.

This one sort of intrigues me though because it looks like they have dinosaurs running wild around the North American continent, which seems like it might be cool.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I haven't been interested enough in either of the Jurassic World movies. In fact apart from the original I've only seen The Lost World. I loved the original as a kid (Even had a backpack and lunch box) but I never felt the need to see variations on it.

This one sort of intrigues me though because it looks like they have dinosaurs running wild around the North American continent, which seems like it might be cool.
I think it's because there were flaws with Treverrow's work that I didn't want reflected in Star Wars, but then Abrams ruined the film Treverrow was supposed to direct and Treverrow's version might have been far better.

I found Jurassic World enjoyable but flawed and mostly just a summer blockbuster way to pass time. I was hoping JA Bayona's middle film was going to be better (I see him as a thoughtful filmmaker, after The Orphanage, The Impossible, and A Monster Calls) but the film was a bit hackneyed in end result.

The trailer for the final film is actually pretty great regardless of the film's actual merit in the end. I just would be disappointed to have to settle for something that I don't expect to have much character development as best mainstream film this year.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So..... to celebrate Mother's Day, I finally watched "Orphan" (2009) through to completion. I remember watching 15 minutes of it a year or two back, then just wasn't in the mood. The film runs 2 hours and really should have been shorter by about 20-30 minutes, although I guess some of that extra time goes into building the variety of incidents plaguing the family.

The acting is surprisingly good -- Sarsgaard and Farmiga actually have chemistry and seem at ease with each other as the parents, and the kids are decent enough -- and the lead (Isabelle Fuhrman) is great too. The director also is really good in shooting the film in interesting ways, he feels pretty adept and knows how to handle the material whether it's interpersonal stuff or action sequences.

I think the biggest flaw (or maybe its strength?) is the sensational writing. The early part of the film is more of a slow burn, whereas the latter half can at times feel kind of nuts. But I think if you are saying "WTF" to yourself out loud on multiple occasions, then the film has achieved the success it was looking for. The makeup is actually interesting in the last 20 minutes or so, which will make sense if you see it. Unfortunately the whole premise rides on a single spoiler which some people might guess out of the gate.

It also has Margo Martindale (for you Bojack fans out there) as a therapist, and CCH Pounder as a nun (out of all things). I did find it entertaining, even if the last twenty minutes is kind of predictable (it ended basically how I thought) and smacks a lot of films like Fatal Attraction. I also don't know if the central issue works in terms of the science involved, from what I can read, but hey whatever -- if you're watching this, it ain't for science.

Of course all of this looks really crappy for adoption especially from certain countries, and I think it's ridiculous/hilarious they thought putting an "Adoption helps kids, please consider adoption" ad on the DVD release was actually helpful. It's like if Cujo sponsored a "please adopt a dog from your local shelter" ad after the film.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Wow. Nailed it.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Firestarter is probably gonna be a dog. No reviews / RT score and it's Weds before the Friday release.

At least they cast a Native American in a role that was specified for such. Small wonders.

Edit: damn this film will suck. Review embargo ends on release date and they're releasing to Peacock simultaneously. Why can't people make a damn decent Stephen King film?

---

Watched Starship Troopers the other day. It seems like mindless silliness. I mean, it pretty much is exactly what I expected (and seems to also be a home for cast from Total Recall 1990). Sure, I get the allusions to fascism and the propaganda machine etc, it's just kind of all on the nose. I just don't find it really goes any deeper or adds much to the conversation, and watching wooden actors for two hours gets old. (Did Denise Richards ever do anything but beam prettily at the camera during her film career?) I thought the end was going to highlight how maybe the bugs were something more, but they mostly seem to just be categorized as killers so....

Despite maybe being less than the book, Ender's Game seems to cover similar ground (raising children to serve the war machine) and adds more nuance to the enemies eventually so that you realize there are multiple sides.

Last edited:

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I believe that the film The 40 Year Old Virgin sends an unhealthy message to men.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I haven't seen it. Is the message that social confirmity is desirable?
basically. The main character seems pretty content to be focused on his own hobbies and interests at the start--he is almost an asexual, and seems no worse for it, when we first meet him. The movie implies that men need to be getting laid and/or in relationships to become successful and valid humans, otherwise they are just sad losers. It implies that men must be deceptive and hide their true selves in order to find sex and/or relationships.

I think it's exactly this sort of mindset that has contributed to a rise in incel and PUA numbers. Don't get me wrong, funny movie, I guess, but for a raunchy modern comedy, it carries some very traditionalist messages. It's almost clever the way the film starts out tricking the viewer into believeing it's another raunchy sex comedy with getting laid as the ultimate goal, only to hit them on the head with a message about monogamy and always-a-fish-in-the-sea platitudes by the end.

I don't like it when movies try to lecture me instead of making me think. Not that this is the sort of movie I would expect to be thought provoking.

Last edited:

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
basically. The main character seems pretty content to be focused on his own hobbies and interests at the start--he is almost an asexual, and seems no worse for it, when we first meet him. The movie implies that men need to be getting laid and/or in relationships to become successful and valid humans, otherwise they are just sad losers. It implies that men must be deceptive and hide their true selves in order to find sex and/or relationships.

I think it's exactly this sort of mindset that has contributed to a rise in incel and PUA numbers. Don't get me wrong, funny movie, I guess, but for a raunchy modern comedy, it carries some very traditionalist messages.

I kind of hate Good Will Hunting for similar reasons. If you're smart but troubled stop reading so many books and doing loser math problems and become a Hollywood screenwriter, bro.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I kind of hate Good Will Hunting for similar reasons.
That's an interesting one now that you mention it. Nothing against the Minnie Driver character, who was certainly going through her own shit, but the movie seemed to ultimately hand us the most formulaic possible ending where all is well for our hero because he ran to chase after a special girl in the end. Like, Will had a lot of shit to process and deal with, but fuck all of that, your life will end happily ever after if you just go track Minnie Driver down and propose or something.

Movies really do want us to believe that a monogamous relationship is the cure to all possible ills.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
eh, I didn't really take either that way. I just remember 40 Year Old Virgin being funny but was not reading any overall morals into it. I don't really remember details at this point, I just took it all as a running joke and some guy looking for his own personal happiness.

For Good Will Hunting, I felt like it was just saying that obsessive behaviors that dominate your personality can make you pretty angry and unhappy, and there's something to be said about 'stupid things' like relationships even if they don't make sense to you. I don't necessarily think Minnie Driver was going to cure Will's problems. However, it was a big deal for him to do something "illogical" that involved him placing some trust in another person rather than being so stubbornly self-reliant and walled off relationally from others. This is why his relationship with Sean was so powerful, it was another relationship that he was treating as adversarial rather than as a chance at connection. yeah, Sean did obsess a bit over "intimacy" because he had such a powerful relationship with his wife and maybe that's the lens through which he viewed the world, but it doesn't mean he didn't have something that Will needed to hear.

The big moral for me wasn't that he went after Minnie Driver per se, it was that he took a risk that wasn't all just dependent on himself being the smartest or the most capable; it was way outside his comfort zone; it was something he wasn't naturally the best at. The relationship might not work out regardless, and that would be okay. The thing is that he took a RISK outside of his comfort zone and one that involved another human being.

Ben Affleck's buddy says as much: "“Every day, I come by your house and I pick you up. And we go out. We have a few drinks and a few laughs, and it’s great. But you know what the best part of my day is? For about 10 seconds, from when I pull up to the curb and when I get to your door, ’cause I think maybe I’ll get up there and I’ll knock on the door and you won’t be there. No goodbye. No see you later. No nothing. You just left. I don’t know much, but I know that.” He knows Will is just wasting his life and in a rut because he likes being a big fish in a tiny pond, when he could be so much more, partly because he's just so unhappy and angry all the time -- and his buddy needs to just get out into the world and take some chances to liberate himself from that.