• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Random Movie Thoughts Thread

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've been wanting to watch this movie called The Road for years now. But I haven't been able to get around to it. It seems like one of those slow burn movies and I think it'll be boring.

Regardless, I'm currently watching it and it seems like something I'd like with the whole Dystopian thing going on.

It's a pretty decent movie mostly focused on tone, so it's pretty consistently dark. Based on a book by Cormac McCarthy (who wrote other books made into films, like No Country for Old Men). It's got some harrowing episodes to it, I enjoyed it but it can take a lot out of the viewer since it's dark, and the dark washed-out color palette of the film reinforces it.

fatgurl

ARMY
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
It's a pretty decent movie mostly focused on tone, so it's pretty consistently dark. Based on a book by Cormac McCarthy (who wrote other books made into films, like No Country for Old Men). It's got some harrowing episodes to it, I enjoyed it but it can take a lot out of the viewer since it's dark, and the dark washed-out color palette of the film reinforces it.

Yea, I don't tend to like movies with dark color palettes. But 16 minutes in and I'm starting to love it lol

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
An Evening with Beverly Luff Linn.
I found this pretty amusing, but I'd only recommend it for people who have a high tolerance for surrealism and love absurd humor. If you don't like stuff like the Tim and Eric Awesome Show, you'd probably hate it. It reminds me a bit of Napoleon Dynamite in that every thing seems out of time. But basically, if you don't think you would find anything amusing about the idea Darryl from the office wearing a kilt and tam-o'shanter and communicating almost entirely by grunts, you would probably hate this.

Last edited:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
E1EwZkdUUAAYoVP.jpg

I can't believe he's scared of Steven Yeun.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Who is the Tommy Wiseau looking fellow in yellow all the way to the right?

Well, gosh, you won't believe this -- but he looks like Tommy Wiseau because he IS Tommy Wiseau! :rofl1:

I guess he had an uncredited cameo in The Disaster Artist.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Well, gosh, you won't believe this -- but he looks like Tommy Wiseau because he IS Tommy Wiseau! :rofl1:

I guess he had an uncredited cameo in The Disaster Artist.

Oh wow. Yeah, we got to see a lot of his body in The Room, and he was pretty ripped. Not sure what he's like now.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Raiders of the Lost Ark vs. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade: which is the better Indiana Jones movie and why is it Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom?

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
So I watched Mandy. Very good (some of you should know by now that movies with a strong visual style go a long way towards endearing themselves to me), although I would say Nicolas Cage pretty much does in it what Nicolas Cage does. That's fine with me, believe me, but I feel like it was oversold a little. The real difference in this movie is that the situation gives him a reason to act like Nicolas Cage. It's more that he's been used properly and he's actually in a movie that happens to be good again. I thought the actress who played Mandy was quite good but I didn't see reviews mention that as much. Maybe because latter day Nicolas Cage has been in so much schlock they felt they had to reassure readers that yes, even though Nicolas Cage is in it, it's good.

Anyway, never hit me that chainsaws were the closest thing we have to lightsabers. Anyway, I want some Cheddar Goblin.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Mandy is a hell of an experience.

Titular character was played by Andrea Riseborough, maybe you just didn't recognize her. She's gone from more conventional appearance and roles to some far out stuff. See her in Possesor (2020) which is crazy scifi horror. I think the first thing I saw her in was Oblivion with Tom Cruise, like 2012 or something. ("Do you make an effective team?") She's been in Black Mirror and other things as well.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Mandy is a hell of an experience.

Titular character was played by Andrea Riseborough, maybe you just didn't recognize her. She's gone from more conventional appearance and roles to some far out stuff. See her in Possesor (2020) which is crazy scifi horror. I think the first thing I saw her in was Oblivion with Tom Cruise, like 2012 or something. ("Do you make an effective team?") She's been in Black Mirror and other things as well.

Possessor sounds like my jam. I'll check it out.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The Mortal Kombat remake is pretty boring.

it starts okay but then kind of drops that subplot until the film's end, nor does it further develop that subplot.

half the film isn't that interesting, and then when the fighting starts, it all feels very anticlimactic, there is a huge pacing and setup problem. It's like "Oh, they're dead, I guess we're getting near the end of the film even though it doesn't feel like it."

Kind of like if Sauron suddenly showed up in Bree before Frodo ever got into Rivendell, and Pippin killed a balrog over near Farmer Maggot's farm, and then the hobbits beat the shit out of the Nazgul in a prop fight in the tavern after a bad first round because they all finally got their mutant powers even though they couldn't fight worth shit the prior day, and then Gandalf told Sauron to go take a hike and teleported him away to brood over his own resentments.

I can't even say the graphics were that great. The CGI stuff of Scorpion is pretty bad. The dialog is ehhhh. People do stupid illogical things.

Are they always going to do cheap cash grabs with films like this, or will one day someone take it seriously?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Watched Raya and the Last Dragon on a small stream, to determine whether I wanted to purchase the steelbox. (not really sure still.)

It's beautifully rendered, and Kelly Marie Tran proves she can carry an animated movie after she got ripped off by Star Wars (one film where she got a thankless part, another where she was shamelessly written out of the film). But the movie itself? Eh. I think kids will like it but it's all kind of derivative of other films, so it's not as much fun and/or funny. Awkwafina is okay but nothing spectacular.

I did appreciate the fact that trust is hard-won. There's multiple failures of trust in this film, and in the end it involves one person trusting another with no take-backs, leaving the trusted to decide whether they will be worthy of such trust. Pretty gutsy and true to life in how trust works.

I find Namaari the most interesting character in the film, NOT Raya who is rather predictable and driving much of the plot. It's about at the midway point where Namaari becomes more than one-dimensional, when she experiences something she had not expected, and you realize that she is more complex a person than the film had originally indicated. At that point, I was curious to see how she would work everything out. In that aspect, the film doesn't disappoint. This is also another film where the dissenters and/or rejects end up representing each of their own separate cultures, kind of the "losers club" saving the day.

The film still doesn't make a lot of sense at times. like, with the evil beaten back by a whole/unbroken gemstone, I'm not sure why the gemstone needed to be taken / owned by anyone at all. The film "Brave" had its problems, but at least the four brothers involved were warring over a throne, leading to the eldest brother selling his soul so to speak for the power to overcome his brothers and breaking their familial trust... so it made sense, one brother's ambition and an actual family conflict is what led to the breaking of trust. Here, the initial conflict resulting in the entire film's plot seems rather stupid and forced, it's like everything was fine and there was no reason to fight except the film decided there was. It also doesn't quite make sense why none of the dragons came back when the stone existed the first time, but they do this time -- except I guess it is suggesting that the five lands did not trust each other and had to be saved by a dragon before, whereas this time it was the five lands who bonded and saved the land together, which restored the dragons. But it's kind of vague.

(This isn't really much of a spoiler. After all, it's not like Avengers Infinity War, the film spells out early what needs to happen and of course it is a Disney film, so... you know it will all work out.)