User Tag List

First 101819202122 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Population: 1 View Post
    Bruce Campbell needs another feature film. Immediately. The man’s a national treasure ffs and sadly he’s not getting any younger.
    I wish he'd get a long running series
    SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...
    Likes Population: 1 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by The Cat View Post
    I wish he'd get a long running series
    That would also be nice. Burn Notice must have been his longest series.
    There is no mysterious essence we can call a 'place'. Place is change. It is motion killed by the mind, and preserved in the amber of memory.
    J. A. Baker
    Likes The Cat liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Population: 1 View Post
    That would also be nice. Burn Notice must have been his longest series.
    It was at seven seasons and a movie. I would even enjoy seeing more of Sam Axe as a PI in Miami. They could bring back Jessi Porter and have Michael and Fionna occasionally do a cameo, but the show would be less action and more Bruce.
    SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...
    Likes Population: 1 liked this post

You can really see the frustration in young Whill Wheaton's eyes in a few scenes in ST TNG right before his temp departure, before his inevitable final departure. @_@

- - - Updated - - -

SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

Darmok is one of my favorite TNG episodes. Its also really emotional. I wish people in our time put as much effort itno understanding each other as do Picard and Dathon.
    SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...
    Likes Powehi liked this post

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    496 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by The Cat View Post
    Darmok is one of my favorite TNG episodes. Its also really emotional. I wish people in our time put as much effort itno understanding each other as do Picard and Dathon.
    I have to mention something absolutely fascinating about this episode because I'm sure I had seen it a few times in my life. I had a piano student with moderate autism who actually communicated in this exact way. At first he sounded random to people, but it suddenly clicked with me what he was doing, and so I was able to connect with him during lessons and understand what he was communicating. He would draw from personal experience, not culturally identified symbols, but it was still essentially the same thing. I saw that episode after knowing the student and wondered if it subconsciously gave me the notion of such an idea. I didn't make the connection with the TNG episode when I was first making sense of my student's communication.

Circus life under the big top world, we all need the clowns to make us smile
    Through space and time always another show, wondering where I am. I'm lost without you. Journey
    Likes The Cat, Totenkindly liked this post

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Leigh Whannell needs to be careful or he might actually end up a half-decent film maker. His last two pictures (Upgrade and The Invisible Man) were actually enjoyable, regardless of flaws.

(it's definitely improved since his days writing the early Saw and Insidious franchise films.)

he did show up in a few films as well. For example, one of the two film crew guys with Lin Shaye in Insidious and as the ill-fated Axel in The Matrix Reloaded.

It does help when you have an actress like Elizabeth Moss to do the heavy lifting for the film, but at least the first half of the film "plays" properly -- I dunno if Moss' character knows how crazy she sounded, but it really come off as a crazy woman doing psychotic things rather than an invisible person stalking her. I guess that was the point. The reveal itself is pretty WTF shocking, and then the rest of the film feels more "thriller" than "horror" per se.

There's also a lot there that immediately harkens right back to "Sleeping with the Enemy," it's hard NOT to think of that film. Maybe a homage of sorts? The really weird part is that I haven't thought of Patrick Bergen for years (speaking of that film) and I ended up watching 2/3 of Free Fire last night, where he shows up in a brief part looking, well, pretty darn old. Because I guess it has been a good 30 years since that film.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Watched "The Hunt" this afternoon.

Pretty much the movie isn't very meaty in most genres it might be misclassified as. It works best as a thriller/horror-comedy film in my opinion, with its single-focused plot, thin characterizations, and cartoonish levels of violence. I could laugh at a lot of it because I wasn't taking it seriously, but I think if I came into it trying to take it seriously, it would have been a horrible experience.

As far as all the punditry last year, the political outrage was exactly what some of us assumed it was -- political bullshit by people who didn't know a damn thing about the film, trying to stir the pot. No one ends us looking "good" in this movie, which skewers both redneck and elitist cliches. By the end, where things boil down to two characters, you can see where each have been "wronged" so to speak, leading to this absurd outcome. No matter who wins, it doesn't fix any of the shit that led into the film.

Gilpin is MVP and is the highlight of the film. She's easily the most interesting character, and the film's few veers into serious territory rely on her skill as an actress. (Her retelling of an old fable is chilling.)

Anyway, the gist is I ended up laughing my way (or shaking my head) through much of the film. It's light fare, meant to amuse, but doesn't really offer much that lingers -- kind of a blow-off project for Lindleof and Cruz, when they're not writing serious or complex work. Sometimes these films get made on a whim, sometimes the script just gets passed around as a joke.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

blackbird, fly Julius_Van_Der_Beak's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Totenkindly View Post

As far as all the punditry last year, the political outrage was exactly what some of us assumed it was -- political bullshit by people who didn't know a damn thing about the film, trying to stir the pot. No one ends us looking "good" in this movie, which skewers both redneck and elitist cliches. By the end, where things boil down to two characters, you can see where each have been "wronged" so to speak, leading to this absurd outcome. No matter who wins, it doesn't fix any of the shit that led into the film.
    What's the term for that? Joker syndrome?

Didn't Jean Claude Van Damme already make the most definitive take on The Most Dangerous Game with Hard Target. I've only seen the beginning of it so far, but I know later in the film he punches a snake and it looks like a penis. I'm sure that doesn't happen in this movie.

A path is made by walking on it.

-Zhuangzi

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Julius_Van_Der_Beak View Post
    What's the term for that? Joker syndrome?

Didn't Jean Claude Van Damme already make the most definitive take on The Most Dangerous Game with Hard Target. I've only seen the beginning of it so far, but I know later in the film he punches a snake and it looks like a penis. I'm sure that doesn't happen in this movie.
    Yeah, I don't remember any trouser snakes making an appearance... although one might get shot at some point.

Most of the more widely known names in the cast (aside from Gilpin and Swank) don't really get much screen time, it's almost more like a cameo because they happened to be on the lot that week.