• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Random Movie Thoughts Thread

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
god damn how many different ways are their to cry and why is this moving dragging me through all of them lol

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The music is off from the rest of the series.
Did you mean "all from" or off? And do you mean the fabled "soundtracks" from the in-film music player device or the score?

1. For the score, they kicked the regular composer (Tyler Bates) for John Murphy. I think that was a mistake. This is the least memorable score I remember for all three films, and it basically just steals stuff from Bates' scores anyway. I mean, hell, Murphy often cribs his own stuff.

2. This is the only film not using 70-80's music, it is pulling more 90-00's music in general. Some people said they liked it, personally I didn't listen to a lot of music in the 90's and 00's and don't really emotionally respond much to it. I barely knew any of it and it's just background filler to me. It is also lacking the connection we had to the walkman music from the first two films, which represented music given to Starlord by his mom. I guess you can say he got this music from his spiritual "dad" (Yondu) but I was kinda indifferent.

Which is what I meant when I say I didn't enjoy this film quite as much. However, the Rocket stuff is extremely emotionally compelling; it's mainly the rest of the film I wasn't as engrossed with. And boy do I hate the Evolutionary as a person; great villain, he pisses me off.

The Cat

Staff member
Did you mean "all from" or off? And do you mean the fabled "soundtracks" from the in-film music player device or the score?

1. For the score, they kicked the regular composer (Tyler Bates) for John Murphy. I think that was a mistake. This is the least memorable score I remember for all three films, and it basically just steals stuff from Bates' scores anyway. I mean, hell, Murphy often cribs his own stuff.

2. This is the only film not using 70-80's music, it is pulling more 90-00's music in general. Some people said they liked it, personally I didn't listen to a lot of music in the 90's and 00's and don't really emotionally respond much to it. I barely knew any of it and it's just background filler to me. It is also lacking the connection we had to the walkman music from the first two films, which represented music given to Starlord by his mom. I guess you can say he got this music from his spiritual "dad" (Yondu) but I was kinda indifferent.

Which is what I meant when I say I didn't enjoy this film quite as much. However, the Rocket stuff is extremely emotionally compelling; it's mainly the rest of the film I wasn't as engrossed with. And boy do I hate the Evolutionary as a person; great villain, he pisses me off.
both of them were off. The Beastie boys and Creep were ok, but the rest didnt feel organic to the film the way the others did. Im so dehydrated from crying, its why i didnt see it in theaters. i was bawling I actually yelled with rocket and my freaking windows were open so im sure trhe neighbors heard me crying and yelling and saying no, please no oh god please no. Im so wrung out. I want to see more of the new team of guardians, but they deserve more than disney will probably do for them. Normally I suppose due to my childhood trauma I tend to feel complicated about villains, but this was just. Naked hatred for me. I think I felt for him, what he felt for everything not him.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
both of them were off. The Beastie boys and Creep were ok, but the rest didnt feel organic to the film the way the others did. Im so dehydrated from crying, its why i didnt see it in theaters. i was bawling I actually yelled with rocket and my freaking windows were open so im sure trhe neighbors heard me crying and yelling and saying no, please no oh god please no. Im so wrung out.
yeah. I found it pretty harrowing and I normally can cope with just about anything. Really wrenching stuff. I wish the rest of the film had hit me that hard -- I processed the rest of it more mentally.

I want to see more of the new team of guardians, but they deserve more than disney will probably do for them. Normally I suppose due to my childhood trauma I tend to feel complicated about villains, but this was just. Naked hatred for me. I think I felt for him, what he felt for everything not him.
I don't trust Disney either. They will screw it up as they have screwed up everything once the Russos moved on.

The High Evolutionary was despicable and I don't have any other feelings for him aside from burning hatred. I had a feeling that Rocket had messed him up pretty bad and the end reveal wasn't a surprise to me. I really like how Rocket (even young Rocket) actually meshes with the adult Rocket -- it feels like the same character and explains everything perfectly.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Watched Extraction 2 today, with Chris Hemsworth.

Extraction wasn't bad, and definitely a better Netflix action film. I liked Extraction 2, but basically it just has some really strong and semi-unpredictable action sequences, even if the end feels rather eh. It was written by Joe Russo.

There's also a few character moments (wish there was more) that puts a little meat on things.

But it also has some really dumb plotting stuff. Like, put a swipe-lock on your phone, dude? And how did the kid know where he was -- definitely not when flying, but I guess he could use GPS to mark it on the later call. And why would the kid almost escape to his uncle -- and THEN freeze? If he's going that far, he's not going to stop there; it was just a plot point. and why would Tyler not finish off his main antagonist when he's briefly knocked out? He's killed everyone else without a qualm, when there was an opening.... and this would have been a fairly simple coup de grace. I also find it crazy that a small gang of Russian thugs would essentially declare war on Austria by repeatedly shooting and/or blowing up police -- like that is NOT going to end well, even if they win the opening rounds. You typically want to avoid making an international incident out of a mission of personal revenge.

The Sandos / kid plotting was just the worst.

But again, the action sequences were generally really great, and the train ride was remarkable.

The Cat

Staff member
Thor Love and Thunder... Marvel is really hoping we're not gonna notice they're just trying to capture lightning in a bottle twice.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Thor Love and Thunder... Marvel is really hoping we're not gonna notice they're just trying to capture lightning in a bottle twice.
Did you watch it? Thor, I mean. I considered seeing it because it had my adolescent crush in a more prominent role, but I got the impression from reviews it was a bit of a mess.

Concerning the other films: The third film was decent, I didn't care for the first that much, and I haven't seen the second which is supposed to be terrible.

Last edited:

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I just had a horrible thought. What if Disney did a "live action" Robin Hood? You know, like they did for the Lion King?

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

The Cat

Staff member
Did you watch it? Thor, I mean. I considered seeing it because it had my adolescent crush in a more prominent role, but I got the impression from reviews it was a bit of a mess.

Concerning the other films: The third film was decent, I didn't care for the first that much, and I haven't seen the second which is supposed to be terrible.
yes, yes I did. I liked the second one ok, but i have low expectaions for most marvel movies.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I have seen all four.

The first one was pretty boring, overall.
The second one was a jumbled mess and kind of confusing to follow -- what a waste of Chris Eccleston.
The third film, I can't say is my favorite take on the Hulk character, but I found it the most enjoyable of the four.

The fourth film was really disappointing. The Guardians cameo was really terrible, the film's tone felt like it was trying to rip off the third film while failing to actually be funny (so few of the jokes actually land), and feels kind of depressing at times, with a cynical view of the Greek gods. Some of Jane's lines are terrible and of course it's another case of not knowing how to write women in an MCU film -- it's like they're either ignored, exist to support men, get too preachy, or made into heroic martyrs of some sort. I think the only funny bits I enjoyed were the screaming goats + the weird love triangle between Thor and his two magic weapons... and the minute or two the kids were empowered. Christian Bale felt kind of wasted.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I have seen all four.

The first one was pretty boring, overall.
I found Thor the character boring here.

It seems like they need Tony Stark making wisecracks to make the character work (as in Avengers), or make the character more comedic in some other way (Thor 3).
The second one was a jumbled mess and kind of confusing to follow -- what a waste of Chris Eccleston.
The third film, I can't say is my favorite take on the Hulk character, but I found it the most enjoyable of the four.

The fourth film was really disappointing. The Guardians cameo was really terrible, the film's tone felt like it was trying to rip off the third film while failing to actually be funny (so few of the jokes actually land), and feels kind of depressing at times, with a cynical view of the Greek gods.
What do you mean by a cynical view of the greek gods? According to the Marvel version, you mean?

Some of Jane's lines are terrible and of course it's another case of not knowing how to write women in an MCU film -- it's like they're either ignored, exist to support men, get too preachy, or made into heroic martyrs of some sort. I think the only funny bits I enjoyed were the screaming goats + the weird love triangle between Thor and his two magic weapons... and the minute or two the kids were empowered. Christian Bale felt kind of wasted.
I'll probably go with GOTG3, then Endgame before I make my way to this. Reactions like this seem the general consensus.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
.What do you mean by a cynical view of the greek gods? According to the Marvel version, you mean?
Comics tend to crib off pantheons. Thor and his family and similar obviously key off Norse myth. Moon Knight cribs Egyptian gods. There's a sequence in the middle of this film where they're basically interacting with the Greek pantheon. It just feels dumb and stilted and all the Greek gods are asshats, essentially. And then Hercules is promoted as yet another arrogant braggart, sent off to kill someone to teach them a lesson or something. Not that the gods aren't braggarts and idiots in general in most of the pantheons, but.... maybe tell some interesting rather than predictable stories with them?

(Hercules was actually an MCU hero, similar to Thor -- he was in the Avengers on and off.)

I dunno. I just found it really uninteresting and kind of dumb.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Comics tend to crib off pantheons. Thor and his family and similar obviously key off Norse myth. Moon Knight cribs Egyptian gods. There's a sequence in the middle of this film where they're basically interacting with the Greek pantheon. It just feels dumb and stilted and all the Greek gods are asshats, essentially. And then Hercules is promoted as yet another arrogant braggart, sent off to kill someone to teach them a lesson or something. Not that the gods aren't braggarts and idiots in general in most of the pantheons, but.... maybe tell some interesting rather than predictable stories with them?

(Hercules was actually an MCU hero, similar to Thor -- he was in the Avengers on and off.)

I dunno. I just found it really uninteresting and kind of dumb.
Oh, that's interesting.

I'm used to seeing stories involving Greek mythology that don't really do the Greek pantheon but make Zeus like the Christian God and Hades into Satan (Disney's Hercules, Clash of the Titans). In Greek mythology, Zeus chained Prometheus to a rock and made him suffer eternally for giving fire to humans; Zeus is an asshole. (This depiction of Hercules sounds off, though, he's neither an asshole nor an over-muscled moron.) I might actually enjoy the part with the Greek pantheon just to see it depicted for once, although they probably don't do it well.

Last edited:

The Cat

Staff member
I didnt like how they portrayed the gods tbh.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Yeah, I think the film actually includes a lot of allusions to this reality about Hammond, and Attenborough's performance was so great that you can see how he dazzled and inspired so many people for this project despite the lack of proper precaution. I also can't help but think about the mini-sub guy now (which happened over the summer) -- another charismatic guy who viewed himself as a visionary but despised staying on the trodden path and did not appreciate proper oversight and/or inspections because it would get in the way of his "innovations." It's the same old story.

Even seeing Hammond through this lens, the character remains sympathetic to some degree in a way that later Jurassic Park franchise villains do not and in general most villains don't in the way he's presented in the film by the acting and direction.

Last edited:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I didn't even know there was a Bernstein film releasing.

Were they hyperfocused on Nicole Kidman's Oscar win for Virginia Woolf twenty years ago, where the change seemed unique to Woolf rather than reflective of broader stereotypes, and fail to really think this through in terms of how it would resonate socially? The nose has always been one of the physical traits for anti-Semitic cartoons for years and years. It was going to scan badly.

Also, I agree with the picture comments that Cooper's nose really didn't seem that different. It's not like I would have not believed he was Bernstein if they hadn't changed it.

The rise of white nationalism hasn't helped either.

EDIT: From the Onion:

Last edited:

The Cat

Staff member

Yeah, I think the film actually includes a lot of allusions to this reality about Hammond, and Attenborough's performance was so great that you can see how he dazzled and inspired so many people for this project despite the lack of proper precaution. I also can't help but think about the mini-sub guy now (which happened over the summer) -- another charismatic guy who viewed himself as a visionary but despised staying on the trodden path and did not appreciate proper oversight and/or inspections because it would get in the way of his "innovations." It's the same old story.

Even seeing Hammond through this lens, the character remains sympathetic to some degree in a way that later Jurassic Park franchise villains do not and in general most villains don't in the way he's presented in the film by the acting and direction.
Richard Attenborough made a horrible heartless monster in the books to a dopey idealistic granddad

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, go figure.

1692316803531.png