• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Random Movie Thoughts Thread

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Rewatched Inception. Still holds up well, great music -- I prefer it to the cold Tenet which veered out of human empathy to something very detached and seemed more complex for its sake rather than an attempt to tell a story that connects.

I had to laugh -- I've seen this film SO many times (though not recently), and this time is the first I noticed that Yusuf gives the shooter the finger as he's driving the van backwards off the bridge. It's barely noticeable unless you're really paying attention, and I had to rewind to check.

Speaking of Yusuf, he really doesn't get enough credit. The guy's just the pharmacist who gets dragged along on this reverse-heist, and it wasn't even supposed to be dangerous, but now there's a private army of guys with automatic weapons chasing him. Worse, he's stuck driving the van with everyone asleep, trying to fend off an entire army of this dream goons on his lonesome, and if he screws up, they ALL end up in Limbo with their brains slagged. The entire success of the mission hinges on him -- and somehow without any real training or experience with this, he keeps everyone alive, and his only real screwup is doing the kick too soon. He's kind of a tacit hero of this film that no one recognizes.

I did also check carefully for Cobb's ring, and it only shows up in the parts we do know are dreams, and it is missing in the areas that are generally assumed to be the "real world" -- getting Ariadne, Mombasa, Paris, etc. It also seems clear that DiCaprio was told how to hold his hands because he doesn't carry his hands the same throughout the film, he's literally always hiding his left hand as much as possible, except for certain moments. He will even talk with his right hand (normally most people talk with both when they do that) while purposefully keeping his left hand below the table, in his pocket, or other things. He looks fine if you're not looking for it, but when you are, it's kind of crazy how his left hand is almost always RIGHT off the edge of the screen, in a pocket, hidden, behind something, and so on.

Technically it still doesn't quite mean anything because he's not wearing it in the scenes where he thinks he's in the "real world" ... he's simply distinguishing between his world and what he perceives as dreams subconsciously.

Also, getting back to Ariadne especially in connection to whether Cobb is in a dream state: She is so purposefully written more as Cobb's therapist, than as his architect. I mean, he's led to "hire her" so it seems like his idea, but she literally spends the movie pushing him, challenging him, making him confront his internal guilt over what happened to his wife, coaxing him forward, holding his feet to the fire, and providing justification as to why her opinion matters. Aside from being the "woman leading him through the maze" as per her namesake, she's literally driving him towards catharsis and even pushes him to go into Limbo after Mal when he's about to give up, and when she gets back without him and Arthur seems skeptical, she's like, "No, no, he's going to be okay," because she witnessed Cobb's own catharsis in Limbo and she knows it's done.

Really fascinating character surrounded by fascinating questions.

Edit: heh, yup.

Last edited:

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Inception holds up. I am still shocked that there are people who can't follow it after repeated viewings. I will need to look for the ring next time. Michael Caine only shows up in reality.

I just love watching it and enjoy it more each time.

Tenet is colder, but I recently rewatched it and found it better on the 4th viewing. It is a very complicated movie, but there is more human element than it appears at great glance.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Inception holds up. I am still shocked that there are people who can't follow it after repeated viewings. I will need to look for the ring next time. Michael Caine only shows up in reality.
Yeah, that's a big giveaway at the ending, honestly. His character is there with Cobb and the kids.

if the ring is there (aside from his memories of pre-movie with Mal), then he's in a dream state. I guess he took it off once he left the country, but it shows up in his dreams because he is still connected to her and can't let it go. While we will never know, now that he has resolved his guilt, I wonder if the ring will no longer appear in his dreams.
I just love watching it and enjoy it more each time.

Tenet is colder, but I recently rewatched it and found it better on the 4th viewing. It is a very complicated movie, but there is more human element than it appears at great glance.
The 4K for both Inception and Tenet is lovely. I've seen the latter twice, I think. Maybe I'll give it another chance.

I did like Elizabeth Debicki a lot. She's pretty underrated, especially if you ever watch Widows (another underrated film). I also love that she is not ashamed of her height (6'3") and carries herself confidently in her films.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah, that's a big giveaway at the ending, honestly. His character is there with Cobb and the kids.

if the ring is there (aside from his memories of pre-movie with Mal), then he's in a dream state. I guess he took it off once he left the country, but it shows up in his dreams because he is still connected to her and can't let it go. While we will never know, now that he has resolved his guilt, I wonder if the ring will no longer appear in his dreams.

The 4K for both Inception and Tenet is lovely. I've seen the latter twice, I think. Maybe I'll give it another chance.

I did like Elizabeth Debicki a lot. She's pretty underrated, especially if you ever watch Widows (another underrated film). I also love that she is not ashamed of her height (6'3") and carries herself confidently in her films.
She is the emotional glue of the movie, along with Pattison. Washington is the "Protaganist", and mostly an empty vessel.

Tomb1

Yesterday I watched Kill Boksoon on Netflix. I found it entertaining.

Kill Boksoon utilizes the John Wick storyline of an enterprise on the level with a Verizon or T-Mobile except they don't come to your house to install cable but make their profits through killing. The enterprise even has its terminology which diminishes the gravity of murder. What would normally be called an execution they refer to as a show. Your first show is called your debut. There are A assignments and B assignments. They even have interns who might be required to tagalong for training purposes. The action is not nearly as well choreographed as those in the John Wick movies but the fight scenes are decent...though just the same as with John Wick totally fictitious and absurd.

Boksoon is the protagonist. She holds a legendary spot in the company as the first female to break through the glass ceiling but is now coming up on the end of her contract with the company. This meshes with a couple of interesting backstories...for instance somebody is out there doing unsanctioned 'shows' which is a violation of the company's policies and procedures.

The Dubbing is very effective. I could tell that the actors who were doing the voice-overs actually made an effort to come across as congruent with the characters that they were dubbing over.

Last edited:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I dont know if GotG can carry the whole marvel cinematic universe, but so far this phase it kinda feels like it is...
"The guy carrying the MCU as it flounders is also now the universe showrunner for their largest competitor and this was his last Marvel project."

Crazy stuff.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
"The guy carrying the MCU as it flounders is also now the universe showrunner for their largest competitor and this was his last Marvel project."

Crazy stuff.
Crazy indeed. One can only wonder what Laurels Marvel thought they had to rest so firmly upon them.

It's going to be neat seeing the dc cinematic universe getting an actual soul from someone who clearly is a fan of source material as well as the inherently "fun" nature of comic book characters and setting. DC movies imo tend to take themselves too seriously. I used to enjoy dc shows and marvel movies, its going to be interesting to see dc doing well in both shows and movies...I kinda cant wait for the looney tunes justice league spin off.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think pretty much my time solidly in the MCU is over with GOTG3. There's nothing else I'm looking forward to, and they will need to upgrade their quality consistently to win my interest back. There's a few items on the next 2-3 year schedule that could be good, but they've buggered up even the things that should have been easy winners (like She-Hulk and DS2 and Moon Knight ) enough that I don't trust any of their output at this time. The quality is entirely unreliable... unless you reframe it to be, "The weakness of their output has become reliable since Endgame." Wakanda Forever was solid but I can't say I'm excited for more Wakanda films, I'm kinda like whatever -- there's no driving storyline there. About the only thing I would be into is Visionquest (because I adore the character), but again, I fear they will just bullox it up like every other watered-down meaningless show they have produced for Phase 4. Disney had kidified just about everything, and I'm not talking just in terms of "adult" content but in terms of the complexity of the writing and emotions involved, it's all aimed at children.

I'm honestly not big into DC, but I'll keep an eye on them now that they have more talent over there. I'm kind of surprised how great the trailer for Flash has been, they have focused on the human story (Why do you want to save this world? Because it's the one my mom is alive in.), doing decent callbacks (Keaton's Batman is a masterstroke), and pulling in Supergirl. I'm warily excited about seeing Michael Shannon as well.

The Cat

Staff member
I think pretty much my time solidly in the MCU is over with GOTG3. There's nothing else I'm looking forward to, and they will need to upgrade their quality consistently to win my interest back. There's a few items on the next 2-3 year schedule that could be good, but they've buggered up even the things that should have been easy winners (like She-Hulk and DS2 and Moon Knight ) enough that I don't trust any of their output at this time. The quality is entirely unreliable... unless you reframe it to be, "The weakness of their output has become reliable since Endgame." Wakanda Forever was solid but I can't say I'm excited for more Wakanda films, I'm kinda like whatever -- there's no driving storyline there. About the only thing I would be into is Visionquest (because I adore the character), but again, I fear they will just bullox it up like every other watered-down meaningless show they have produced for Phase 4. Disney had kidified just about everything, and I'm not talking just in terms of "adult" content but in terms of the complexity of the writing and emotions involved, it's all aimed at children.

I'm honestly not big into DC, but I'll keep an eye on them now that they have more talent over there. I'm kind of surprised how great the trailer for Flash has been, they have focused on the human story (Why do you want to save this world? Because it's the one my mom is alive in.), doing decent callbacks (Keaton's Batman is a masterstroke), and pulling in Supergirl. I'm warily excited about seeing Michael Shannon as well.
is it terrible of me that I miss the Joel Shumacher Gotham City. I obviously like the Tim Burton aesthetic, but I miss neon sexy batman aesthetics.

The Cat

Staff member
I mean it's just so bugnuts glorious.​

The Cat

Staff member

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Okay, maybe one more superhero film I'm excited to see this year. Damn.