• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Oscars 2020

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Without much ado here are the noms:

Motion Picture
Ford v Ferrari (Fox), Peter Chernin, Jenno Topping and James Mangold, Producers
The Irishman (Netflix), Martin Scorsese, Robert De Niro, Jane Rosenthal and Emma Tillinger Koskoff, Producers
Jojo Rabbit (Fox Searchlight), Carthew Neal and Taika Waititi, Producers
Joker (Warner Bros.), Todd Phillips, Bradley Cooper and Emma Tillinger Koskoff, Producers
Little Women (Sony), Amy Pascal, Producer
Marriage Story (Netflix), Noah Baumbach and David Heyman, Producers
1917 (Universal), Sam Mendes, Pippa Harris, Jayne-Ann Tenggren and Callum McDougall, Producers
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (Sony), David Heyman, Shannon McIntosh and Quentin Tarantino, Producers
Parasite (Neon), Kwak Sin Ae and Bong Joon Ho, Producers

Actress
Cynthia Erivo (Harriet)
Scarlett Johansson (Marriage Story)
Saoirse Ronan (Little Women)
Charlize Theron (Bombshell)
Renée Zellweger (Judy)

Actor
Antonio Banderas (Pain and Glory)
Leonardo DiCaprio (Once Upon a Time in Hollywood)
Adam Driver (Marriage Story)
Joaquin Phoenix (Joker)
Jonathan Pryce (The Two Popes)

Actress in a Supporting Role
Kathy Bates (Richard Jewell)
Laura Dern (Marriage Story)
Scarlett Johansson (Jojo Rabbit)
Florence Pugh (Little Women)
Margot Robbie (Bombshell)

Actor in a Supporting Role
Brad Pitt (Once Upon a Time in Hollywood)
Al Pacino (The Irishman) — podcast
Joe Pesci (The Irishman)
Tom Hanks (A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood)
Anthony Hopkins (The Two Popes)

Director
Bong Joon Ho (Parasite)
Sam Mendes (1917)
Todd Phillips (Joker)
Martin Scorsese (The Irishman)
Quentin Tarantino (Once Upon a Time in Hollywood)

Adapted Screenplay
The Irishman (Steven Zaillian)
Jojo Rabbit (Taika Waititi)
Joker (Todd Phillips & Scott Silver)
Little Women (Greta Gerwig)
The Two Popes (Anthony McCarten)

Original Screenplay
1917 (Sam Mendes & Krysty Wilson-Cairns)
Knives Out (Rian Johnson)
Marriage Story (Noah Baumbach)
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (Quentin Tarantino)
Parasite (Bong Joon Ho & Jin Won Han)

International Feature
Corpus Christi (Poland)
Honeyland (North Macedonia)
Les Misérables (France)
Pain and Glory (Spain)
Parasite (South Korea)

Documentary Feature
American Factory (Netflix), Steven Bognar, Julia Reichert and Jeff Reichert
The Cave (National Geographic), Feras Fayyad, Kirstine Barfod and Sigrid Dyekjaer
The Edge of Democracy (Netflix), Petra Costa, Joanna Natasegara, Shane Boris and Tiago Pavan
For Sama (PBS), Waad al-Kateab and Edward Watts
Honeyland (Neon), Ljubo Stefanov, Tamara Kotevska and Atanas Georgiev

Animated Feature Film
How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World (Dreamworks), Dean DeBlois, Bradford Lewis and Bonnie Arnold
I Lost My Body (Netflix), Jérémy Clapin and Marc du Pontavice
Klaus (Netflix), Sergio Pablos, Jinko Gotoh and Marisa Román
Missing Link (United Artists Releasing), Chris Butler, Arianne Sutner and Travis Knight
Toy Story 4 (Pixar), Josh Cooley, Mark Nielsen and Jonas Rivera

Production Design
The Irishman, Production Design: Bob Shaw; Set Decoration: Regina Graves
Jojo Rabbit, Production Design: Ra Vincent; Set Decoration: Nora Sopková
1917, Production Design: Dennis Gassner; Set Decoration: Lee Sandales
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, Production Design: Barbara Ling; Set Decoration: Nancy Haigh
Parasite, Production Design: Lee Ha Jun; Set Decoration: Cho Won Woo

Film Editing
Ford v Ferrari, Andrew Buckland & Michael McCusker
The Irishman, Thelma Schoonmaker
Jojo Rabbit, Tom Eagles
Joker, Jeff Groth
Parasite, Jinmo Yang

Cinematography
1917 (Roger Deakins)
The Irishman (Rodrigo Prieto)
Joker (Lawrence Sher)
The Lighthouse (Jarin Blaschke)
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (Robert Richardson)

Visual Effects
Avengers: Endgame
The Irishman
The Lion King
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Costume Design
The Irishman, Sandy Powell and Christopher Peterson
Jojo Rabbit, Mayes C. Rubeo
Joker, Mark Bridges
Little Women, Jacqueline Durran
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, Arianne Phillips

Sound Mixing
Ad Astra
Ford v Ferrari
Joker
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Sound Editing
Ford v Ferrari
Joker
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Original Song
"I Can't Let You Throw Yourself Away, " Toy Story 4, Music and Lyric by Randy Newman
"(I'm Gonna) Love Me Again," Rocketman, Music by Elton John; Lyric by Bernie Taupin
"I'm Standing With You," Breakthrough, Music and Lyric by Diane Warren
"Into The Unknown," Frozen II, Music and Lyric by Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez
"Stand Up," Harriet, Music and Lyric by Joshuah Brian Campbell and Cynthia Erivo

Original Score
Joker, Hildur Gudnadóttir
Little Women, Alexandre Desplat
Marriage Story, Randy Newman
1917, Thomas Newman
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, John Williams

Makeup and Hairstyling
Bombshell, Kazu Hiro, Anne Morgan and Vivian Baker
Joker, Nicki Ledermann and Kay Georgiou
Judy, Jeremy Woodhead
Maleficent: Mistress of Evil, Paul Gooch, Arjen Tuiten and David White
1917, Naomi Donne, Tristan Versluis and Rebecca Cole

Live-Action Short Film
Brotherhood
Nefta Football Club
The Neighbors' Window
Saria
A Sister

Animated Short Film
Dcera (Daughter), Daria Kashcheeva
Hair Love, Matthew A. Cherry and Karen Rupert Toliver
Kitbull, Rosana Sullivan and Kathryn Hendrickson
Memorabl, Bruno Collet and Jean-François Le Corree
Sister, Siqi Song

Documentary Short Subject
In the Absence, Yi Seung-Jun and Gary Byung-Seok Kam
Learning to Skateboard in a Warzone (If You're a Girl), Carol Dysinger and Elena Andreicheva
Life Overtakes Me, John Haptas and Kristine Samuelson
St. Louis Superman, Smriti Mundhra and Sami Khan
Walk Run Cha-Cha, Laura Nix and Colette Sandstedt

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Joker’s Oscar nominations are a joke: This movie is stupid!

While it's fun to listen to him rant, I don't really disagree with him in terms of the film's content.

I saw this last week. It's mainly just a vehicle for Phoenix (who is tremendously good) to show off what a great actor he is; the cinematography is far more stunning than it needed to be; the score is edgy and unsettling, it's interesting on its own and it also really supports the ambiance of the film; but man... does it actually say anything worthwhile about society that we didn't already know or have explored more deeply in other films, even films it is competing again? Not really. I enjoyed watching it but I wouldn't say it's something that contributed to my deeper understanding of its topical matters, inspired me with a vision, or anything else.

It's just an engrossing one-off for DC -- arthouse meets pop culture but feels a lot more like style over substance, if you get my drift, if you dig underneath it to determine what it's contributing to anything.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Geez. So shocked to see Star Wars not get a Film Editing Oscar nom. In fact, it only got a nom for one of the two sound awards instead of both, and visual effects and score I think.

Happy that Frozen 2 did not get on the animation short list either. I watched it over the weekend. It started poorly, was kind of muddled and retconny, and while it ended better than it started and had a few high moments, I'm glad that the fact it was another Disney behemoth didn't auto-succeed it for the shortlist.

I don't see Gerwig for a director nom, although at least Little Women got on the board in a few places.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
So no Lulu Wang, Melina Matsoukas, Greta Gerwig, Lupita N’yongo or J. Lo, even though Little Women got something. smh. No Uncut Gems either, which is very disappointing.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So no Lulu Wang, Melina Matsoukas, Greta Gerwig, Lupita N’yongo or J. Lo, even though Little Women got something. smh. No Uncut Gems either, which is very disappointing.

Yeah, despite all the hubbub of changing the voter mix in the last few years, it all seems more of the same-old predictable selections. It seems even more apparent this year how much studio promotional gimmicks/advertising impacts what makes the ballot, in general.

I was happy that Erivo got on Best Actress and that Parasite made Best Foreign and Best Pic, but otherwise? I'm also aware of a lot of great films and performances that just don't have the advertising budget to be seen by enough people to receive notice. There's a few films I cannot even find a rogue downstream of (like Malick's recent film) for viewing.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Joker’s Oscar nominations are a joke: This movie is stupid!

While it's fun to listen to him rant, I don't really disagree with him in terms of the film's content.

I saw this last week. It's mainly just a vehicle for Phoenix (who is tremendously good) to show off what a great actor he is; the cinematography is far more stunning than it needed to be; the score is edgy and unsettling, it's interesting on its own and it also really supports the ambiance of the film; but man... does it actually say anything worthwhile about society that we didn't already know or have explored more deeply in other films, even films it is competing again? Not really. I enjoyed watching it but I wouldn't say it's something that contributed to my deeper understanding of its topical matters, inspired me with a vision, or anything else.

It's just an engrossing one-off for DC -- arthouse meets pop culture but feels a lot more like style over substance, if you get my drift, if you dig underneath it to determine what it's contributing to anything.

I loved Joker and I think Joaquin Phoenix should win (even though Jonathan Pryce is also nominated and he was so wonderful as Francis but he's wonderful in any role) but the disaffected masculinity theme is creakily old and done (and that goes for Anthony Hopkins as Benedict, a thoroughly unlikable person who continues to confirm that belief, even today.) Class warfare, which is what Joker means to me, doesn't have some deeper meaning or bigger contribution, although it does force your empathy. I think there are people that really hate being made to feel that way, especially ones that subscribe to conservative values which are inherently anti empathy.

I would prefer Parasite win best picture to Joker, Joaquin Phoenix for best actor and Cynthia Erivo for actress.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oscar nominations 2020: The best and the worst.

I agree regarding the Joker screenplay. Eh.

I like that Banderos is being recognized. His mainstream acceptance was mostly through large tentpole films (Zorro, Puss in Boots), but he's done a lot of great smaller work since, over the years... more daring work not playing directly into a persona or his physical attractiveness.

I didn't see Bombshell. I did see Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, and Robbie was great, mostly through her aura and without needing to say much. Like, it's hard not to love her and find her endearing. Was "Bombshell" that much better?

I still have mixed feelings about Zellweger as Judy. I mean, it's not a hill worth dying on and it's not even her fault -- she channels Judy Garland without any seeming effort, and does a great job with the songs as well. But the script? It didn't really give her a lot to actually develop a deep character, I felt like I was just watching someone play Judy Garland without a story to help develop the character as effectively as possible. She had all the affectations and persona but I couldn't find a connection/throughline on it. (I guess that's still a testimony to her acting, maybe I'm just griping about the script. But that's why "Judy" I think didn't get any more attention.)

I have mixed feelings on Mendes, who I really do love in general (I've always followed his films). There's a lot that goes into directing, including managing the efforts of so many people and resources. I also don't want to gripe about 1917 because I really enjoyed the film, but it's not in the top 2-3 war films I've seen (maybe not the top five?), and there's not a lot to it story-wise when you take a step back. Its strengths are amazing camera work (which both involve the camera maneuverability to emulate a continuous tracking shot, as well as hiding key features of the environment to create surprises / uncertainties) and the incredible personal "small story" feeling it engenders. (Mackay is good but I didn't think he would get a nom either compared to other performances this year, even if he was effective. Did anyone catch the casting of Dean-Charles Chapman and Richard Madden as brothers? What wonderful irony. They were both solid, btw.) I mean, I guess the directing award in part gets some kudos for especially demanding shoots and bringing a project through to completion.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I won't really get a complete list of my favorite 2019 films for awhile, I just cannot catch up and find most of the indie movies I want to see for that list since for me, I think the indie movement (filtering a bit into mainstream) was the best part of last year.

Not really much interested in the Oscars this year. Most of the categories seem a lock and I'm not really excited over the BP race per se. While I enjoyed both Joker and 1917 (and both have been reaping a lot of awards/attention), I will be disappointed on some level if either is selected. I don't feel like Joker says anything substantial that we don't already know, and 1917 is enjoyable but pretty much centered around a trick (the emulated single tracking shot) while the actual content is more of a shadow of the great war movies of the last 30 years. They are worth watching but aren't really BP.

Same thing with Jojo Rabbit -- I enjoyed my watch and it's well-done, but the problem is much of the film seems too preoccupied with being cute so as not to deal with the topical matter. I only really felt like the film understood the horrors during that scene with Stephen Merchant (which managed to be hilarious and terrifying all at once -- I wish more of the film had been that way).

I'll be happiest if Parasite wins. I won't be bothered if Once Upon a Time in Hollywood grabs it, or Little Women (although I haven't seen the latter -- I've just heard such good things).

I still have Uncut Gems on my list of next few movies to watch, although it was not nominated.

I am happy to see Hildur Guðnadóttir picking up so many awards for her Joker score, though. It really is perfect. (Sorry, John Williams.) Fresh, raw, evocative, totally supporting the film it is part of. It's not surprising me to see so many awards being thrown at it.

Jaguar

Art, in contrast, is the most subjective thing humans make. It changes based on who’s looking at it. Something that moved you to tears leaves me stone-cold; something I found indelible, intricate, and well-designed makes you shrug. Art is as much the creation of its audience as its creator, and that’s what makes it important: When we watch a movie or read a book or observe a painting or listen to a symphony, our inner landscapes respond in ways that are distinct and, if we’re open to it, can change us, too.

Agreed.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I did love that Action Bronson sold DeNiro a green casket.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
They should dispense with the nomination process and just give the award to Sonic The Hedgehog for every category, and keep doing that for every year until the end of time. Enough with the pretense. Everyone knows it's the greatest movie ever made, and they haven't even seen it yet. How much more awesome will it be when people get to actually watch it?

Don't waste people's time; just get straight to the truth.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
They should dispense with the nomination process and just give the award to Sonic The Hedgehog for every category, and keep doing that for every year until the end of time. Enough with the pretense. Everyone knows it's the greatest movie ever made, and they haven't even seen it yet. How much more awesome will it be when people get to actually watch it?

Don't waste people's time; just get straight to the truth.

Well, it does have James Marsden in it...

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Well, it does have James Marsden in it...

Here's a general question about Sonic that the movie will surely address: What's up with the speed? Are hedgehogs even known for being particularly fast? I picture them in mind kind of awkwardly creeping along with their squat fat bodies. Fast, perhaps, for such a roly-poly creature, but still not particularly fast.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I did manage to see Little Women this evening before the Oscars start.

I had forgotten I share a birthday with Louisa May Alcott (random, but I should add her to my list of other authors like CS Lewis and Madeleine L'Engle who have the same birthday).

Anyway, I have never read Little Women nor have I seen any of the other films or TV shows, so I went into this completely cold. It took me a good 30-40 minutes to really get a sense of the character's names and who they were, which was complicated by the time jumps -- some of which were not obvious to me right away -- so I really felt like this film was far more accessible to people who were already Little Women fans, and it might have more emotional impact on them. All I know is whatever was in this film. It also was hard for me to just have finished Season 4 of Better Call Saul and then have to take Bob Odenkirk seriously, but whatever it's all good man...

I think the first time I really "felt" something strongly was when Amy does something really horrible to get back at Jo over what was really a minor squabble. I pretty much just gasped, and then I wanted to yell at the screen because I was so pissed off. At that point, I felt more connected with what happened on-screen, and had figured out who everyone was. Anyway, I was more engaged in the latter half of the film.

I dunno. Maybe I'm not a great judge of whether it is BP material. It was a decent film, but I have trouble knowing how many people saw it and/or would consider it the year's best film that was seen by a lot of people. I get the idea that it falls on the other side of the gender divide from Ford vs Ferrari, which I have not yet seen. I'm glad I watched it but don't really care to watch it again. I also have considered Ronan and Pugh to be remarkable actresses before this film but maybe they just made it look too easy in this film; honestly, I felt like Pugh did a hell of a lot more heavy lifting in Midsommar, the whole film was dependent on her performance (but they stiffed Toni Collette for Hereditary because the Academy really shies away from straight horror, so it wasn't unexpected.... and I don't really consider Get Out to be straight horror, it's more a horror-comedy with social commentary, and they stiffed Us this year completely, so...).

[Cannes gave Isabelle Adjani a Best Actress in 1980 for the surreal horror film Possession, but I think that's as far as that got too.]

I honestly expect 1917 to win, it seems the "safest" film and earmarked due to (1) topic and (2) one-take trick + has already been unexpectedly selected in multiple other awards ceremonies. I can live with that but I'd be happy if something else beside it (and besides Joker) won. Still hoping for Parasite or (if that fails) OuaTIH.