• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Hockey?

targobelle

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~
MBTI Type
enfp
It's the play off season and well Vancouver beat Dallas tonight in game 7, 4-1

Seems they play ANAHEIM next......

Usehername

On a mission
It's the play off season and well Vancouver beat Dallas tonight in game 7, 4-1

Seems they play ANAHEIM next......

From what I have gathered as a Canadian: Hockey + playoffs = not now. (Although baseball + World Series time = now.) One of these two factors is wrong, no?

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
From what I have gathered as a Canadian: Hockey + playoffs = not now. (Although baseball + World Series time = now.) One of these two factors is wrong, no?

This confused me too, cause I pretend to keep up to date on these things that I barely care about.

(Check the date of the OP ;) )

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
I like Montreal, but not for any real reason. They're just so cool! :party2:

Eicr

MBTI Type
INTJ
Damn Cleveland has only a minor league hockey team!!! :ng_mad:

hey hey, cleveland is at least an American city. Its a CRIME than Winnipeg, a major canadian city, no longer has our beloved Jets. (I also morne for my Quebecois brothers and sisters who lost their nordiques)

targobelle

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~
MBTI Type
enfp
you do know that more than 75% of all NHL players are Canadian and that only a very small percentage makes up actual American players?

Ms. M

MBTI Type
INTJ
you do know that more than 75% of all NHL players are Canadian and that only a very small percentage makes up actual American players?

True, there are also a lot of European players in the NHL as well, I'd guess there are more Europeans from Sweden, Finland, Russia, and the Czech Republic than U.S.-born players. Of course, there are several NHL players who were born in Canada and overseas, but become U.S. citizens later on. So I tend to think of them as "Canadian-born" players instead of simply Canadian. :)

ETA - I believe the last two first NHL draft picks were both American-born, however. Times may be changing.

Eicr

MBTI Type
INTJ

if this wasnt directed at me then ignore me. Anyway, its not so much about the player base as much as that there is no team representing two major Canadian cities, when many American cities have teams that are loosing money and no one cares about (like phoenix or tampa bay). I think that if your city cant yield a proper outdoor rink, you shouldnt really have a team :) (of course i dont actually think that way, but such statements are fun to make. The truth is, the LA Kings saved hockey financially in the 90's)

Usehername

On a mission

last stanley cup, although it was a canadian team playing an american team, a ridiculous percentage of the Ducks' players were Canadian. And so, you could be "more loyal" to your country by rooting for the Ducks. (they had 3 Europeans and 4 Americans and the entire rest of the team was Canadian.)

Ms. M

MBTI Type
INTJ
if this wasnt directed at me then ignore me. Anyway, its not so much about the player base as much as that there is no team representing two major Canadian cities, when many American cities have teams that are loosing money and no one cares about (like phoenix or tampa bay). I think that if your city cant yield a proper outdoor rink, you shouldnt really have a team :) (of course i dont actually think that way, but such statements are fun to make. The truth is, the LA Kings saved hockey financially in the 90's)

Oh come now...we Floridians need to have our teams, if only to cheer on our hometown teams when they come to visit! Many of us were raised elsewhere - where there are Original 6 teams like Boston, Chicago, Detroit :)

Eicr

MBTI Type
INTJ
yeah, perfect reason why you guys get a team and we dont! *grumble grumble grumble* :D Im actually not that upset, I dont much care for hockey, but it is a little embarassing that Winnipeg doesnt have an NHL team.

Ms. M

MBTI Type
INTJ
yeah, perfect reason why you guys get a team and we dont! *grumble grumble grumble* :D Im actually not that upset, I dont much care for hockey, but it is a little embarassing that Winnipeg doesnt have an NHL team.

Not one, but two teams - the Panthers and Lightning. ;)

I agree that there needs to be better representation in Canada, though the arguments I've heard revolve around NHL-level hockey not being all that profitable in Canada (unsure of the veracity of that claim.) With the talk of possibly moving the Predator team to Hamilton, I think a team in Winnipeg would make more sense.

Eicr

MBTI Type
INTJ
Everything Ive heard is that aside from a few american cities like detroit and NY (the pitsburgh with Crosby there), Canada is pretty much the only place an NHL team can be profitable

MBTI Type
INTJ
Most NHL franchises are profitable, the exceptions being new-ish teams in the warm weather areas of the US like the Nashville Predators and the Atlanta Thrashers. The reason that Canadian teams struggle financially compared to American teams is that player salaries are negotiated in US dollars. So Canadian teams received revenues in Canadian dollars but paid out salaries in the more valuable US dollars. Of course, with recent changes in the currency markets, this disadvantage has disappeared, so perhaps another Canadian team is now a more viable idea.

Ms. M

MBTI Type
INTJ
Most NHL franchises are profitable, the exceptions being new-ish teams in the warm weather areas of the US like the Nashville Predators and the Atlanta Thrashers. The reason that Canadian teams struggle financially compared to American teams is that player salaries are negotiated in US dollars. So Canadian teams received revenues in Canadian dollars but paid out salaries in the more valuable US dollars. Of course, with recent changes in the currency markets, this disadvantage has disappeared, so perhaps another Canadian team is now a more viable idea.

Yes, I think now it's a level playing field in that sense. However, I think there's also a population component as well. Canada isn't nearly as densely populated as the United States. The Canadian cities simply don't have the concentrated population that the US cities do - Winnipeg has about 700,000 people, whereas the Miami area is around 7 million, Tampa 2.5 million, etc. It's justification for putting teams in large American cities - but doesn't mean that teams in Canada (where many people live and breathe for hockey) won't be successful.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I think Seattle deserves a team over a city like Nashville or Atlanta.