• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Hockey?

narticus

MBTI Type
INTJ
Go Nashville!

Go Nashville, indeed!

I have game four tickets, and a couple of times last night I was worried we'd be down 0-3. Then BANG-BANG: the nine seconds that turned the tide. Time to blow the roof off the Somet Center.

Go Preds!

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I really wish I could have seen the rest of that game. I was watching until a few minutes into the 3rd period, where Detroit scored and put them ahead 3-2. I lost possession of the TV at that point so I couldn't finish it :(. I really didn't expect Nashville to come back and win. I figured that early goal in the 3rd by Detroit was the end of it, despite Nashville's good run in the 2nd. I was wrong. :)

I'm not a Preds fan per se but I go for the under dogs in these situations and Nashville is my favorite "southern" city hah. So, good for them. Hopefully this gets the momentum going for them for the rest of this series and maybe they can come out on top...

Now, San Jose tonight... Hopefully they haven't given up completely. SHARKS FTW.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What kind of lame-o sport changes the rules in the middle of the playoffs???

MBTI Type
INTJ
The kind that deals with a childish, annoying %$&#@ like Sean Avery. It's so excellent that the winning goal in that game went off his skate and into his own goal.

I'll admit it's semantics, but I don't think they changed a rule so much as clarified one. They'd simply never encountered someone as blatant as Avery.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
The kind that deals with a childish, annoying %$&#@ like Sean Avery. It's so excellent that the winning goal in that game went off his skate and into his own goal.

I'll admit it's semantics, but I don't think they changed a rule so much as clarified one. They'd simply never encountered someone as blatant as Avery.
Agreed.

What a chump. That was the stupidest crap I've seen. Brodeur handled it well I'd say. Kinda funny when he tapped Avery in the nuts with his stick.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Great win by the Flyers, and brutal embellishment by Ovechkin. I like him a lot; I don't want to see him doing shit like that.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Great win by the Flyers, and brutal embellishment by Ovechkin. I like him a lot; I don't want to see him doing shit like that.
What'd he do?

A win by the Sharks last night :party2:. Series tied 2-2. This is going to be a nail biter. I'll be at the pub for the game tomorrow. :cheers:

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
What'd he do?

A win by the Sharks last night :party2:. Series tied 2-2. This is going to be a nail biter. I'll be at the pub for the game tomorrow. :cheers:

Umberger clipped him with his skate as he was going by, and Ovechkin drew the tripping penalty with an egregious, Crosby-esque dive. Surprising coming from him, but I guess he was trying to get that PP to get his team back in it.

MBTI Type
INTJ
:nice: to the use of "Crosby-esque" as an adjective! If he ever decides to give up hockey, he could probably win an Olympic medal in diving.

For the last few years Detroit has played the regular season like it was the playoffs and the playoffs like it was the regular season. They're not going to lose this series, but they're already underachieving. Their next opponent (Calgary? Colorado?) is going to have a little something waiting.

I've never seen anything like Ottawa this season. After making the finals last year and starting this year 13-1, they slumped terribly, barely made it into the playoffs, and then got swept in the first round. Except for last year, the team has never carried their regular season dominance into the playoffs. It would have sounded insane as recently as four months ago, but is it time to blow it up in Ottawa?

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You may cheer for Nashville all you like. The Red Wings (aka The NHL Overlords) shall prevail. :D

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Prediction: Flyers beat up on the Ovechkins tonight, go back to Washington and lose a tight one, then clinch on Monday back in Philly.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Uhhh, anyone who can watch Flyers-Caps Game 4, tune in now. 2nd OT is starting, and it's been unbelievable so far.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Uhhh, anyone who can watch Flyers-Caps Game 4, tune in now. 2nd OT is starting, and it's been unbelievable so far.

So I was confused when I saw this game go into double overtime... That must be exclusively a playoff procedure to go into a Double OT instead of a shoot-out?

MBTI Type
INTJ
Yeah, the shootout for regular season games was only instituted three years ago. Before that, there was one five minute overtime after which the game was declared a tie, and before THAT there was no overtime at all. You can't have a tie in a playoff game, so overtime remained in the form of full periods for playoff games.

When the shootout was introduced, it was decided that it would not be applied to the playoffs. The shootout is really a concession to expedience and finishing games in a reasonable amount of time while still always declaring a winner. In the playoffs the balance of expedience to a fair outcome is understandably slanted far in favor of the latter.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Ahh, I see. I was assuming that but wasn't sure.

What a great Detroit/Nash game tonight! Preds tied it up 1-1 within the last 45 seconds of reg time. Lost shortly into OT though :(. Better luck in game 6 at Nashville. Detroit was playing mean offensively though, I'm surprised Detroit didn't come out with a higher score. They sure had a hell of a lot of shots on goal. Nashville was able to manage the onslaught. Some good goal tending tonight.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Yeah, Dan Ellis must be ready to put a hit out on his whole team. He's the only reason they're still in this, and I'm not sure they actually are still in this. They really needed to get that win in OT, it was a game they had no business winning and they could have stolen it. And stealing a game is what could have helped them win the series.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Also, in the regular season, the overtime period is 4-on-4 hockey, but it's the normal 5-on-5 in the playoffs. Which is idiotic. I hate the shootout, and it should be one 10-minute sudden-death OT, and then a tie. Ties didn't bother me in the least. A gigantic amount of 3-point games does. The NFL has ties (they almost never happen, but they do). They shouldn't settle there game with field goal HORSE.