• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Hockey?

MBTI Type
INTJ
I agree with pure_mercury. I don't see the Pens winning the Cup. It doesn't happen very often that a team wins the Cup the first year that they're really good. They need some playoff seasoning first. Of course, I could be completely wrong, because the Sharks' disappointing playoff experience might actually be a hindrance and because in the NHL you get a headscratcher of a champion sometimes like the Hurricanes in 2006.

On another note, I was disappointed to discover that every game of the Flyers/Caps series will be nationally televised EXCEPT Game 7 (if necessary). I'll just have to hope it doesn't go that far. I like the Flyers' chances because I think that they've been a little better over the course of the season and because their talent is diverse with six 20-goal scorers. The Caps are definitely heading into the playoffs on a tear, which is worrisome. But so much of their offense is tied up in Ovechkin that if he slumps or doesn't rise to the occasion in his first taste of the playoffs, they're toast.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
I agree with pure_mercury. I don't see the Pens winning the Cup. It doesn't happen very often that a team wins the Cup the first year that they're really good. They need some playoff seasoning first. Of course, I could be completely wrong, because the Sharks' disappointing playoff experience might actually be a hindrance and because in the NHL you get a headscratcher of a champion sometimes like the Hurricanes in 2006.

On another note, I was disappointed to discover that every game of the Flyers/Caps series will be nationally televised EXCEPT Game 7 (if necessary). I'll just have to hope it doesn't go that far. I like the Flyers' chances because I think that they've been a little better over the course of the season and because their talent is diverse with six 20-goal scorers. The Caps are definitely heading into the playoffs on a tear, which is worrisome. But so much of their offense is tied up in Ovechkin that if he slumps or doesn't rise to the occasion in his first taste of the playoffs, they're toast.

They may not be the two best teams in the playoffs, but I think that this will be the most entertaining first-round matchup. Flyers in 6.

spartan26

MBTI Type
INTP
Well, barely 24 hours since coming in 2nd in my fantasy hockey league, I come in 2nd in my NCAA tourney pool. My second place prize = my entry fee back. Had I won...$400! D'OH!! I'm so gonna grind the enamel off my teeth.

I'm not looking forward to any of these match ups. Rangers-Devils might be a good series. If Calgary wakes up theirs against the Sharks could be good. Nice to see an original 6 w/Montreal but I think Boston is farely weak. Maybe the Sens will get their offense going but they don't look too cohesive.

Last season I thought there was a clear cut team to beat, the Ducks, with SJ I thought having a complete squad. This year, I have no clue.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Ducks/Stars is going to be a WAR. That's the best first round series in my opinion. I'll call the Ducks in 6 tough games. Devils/Rangers has the same potential and might get nasty. I'll pick the Devils in 7.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'd put a hex on Teemu, but Mike Modano is a clown-shoe and must bite the big one.

Go Anaheim.

spartan26

MBTI Type
INTP
No real surprises for me in tonight's games. Fluerry has been so amazing the past 3 weeks. I was wondering if he ever was going to play like an elite goalie. Like seriously look to move the guy if they got tossed out of the series 4-1 in the first round again. Pens D isn't great but all year long they'd given up quite a few goals. You gotta have a goalie who's capable of stealing a game or two when the offense doesn't show up and until mid March that hadn't happened since the guy came into the league.

SJ is another team that gives up a few too many goals. Even when they went on their tear over the final six weeks, it wasn't much of the 1-0, 2-1 variety. Calgary's D might be the best in the league but Kip has been soft most of the season. I wonder does Keenan let up a bit now or ride him mercilessly like an inexperienced jockey.

I'm rooting for the Avs to come out of the west and take the Habs out of the east. Montreal having a much more likely time of getting there. Lunquist I could actually see stealing a few games and helping the Rangers advance a few rounds but NJ has that same style of play. I'm stoked Sakic had another O-T goal. If the Avs score early they can open up the ice and score on anyone but their PK and 3rd line can't shut down anyone for crap and will let teams stay in games. I'd to see a first round exit but rather possible.

I'm sure I'll watch some of the Ducks and Stars. Dallas has so under achieved the past couple of years. I really wasn't expecting much of a series. I gues it was about 7-8-9 years ago, when Dallas would be one of the top seeds and Edmonton would be one of the bottom teams but they'd have THE most exciting first round match ups. The series would always go six-seven games, there'd be some O-T games, four goals being scored in the 3rd period. That's what I'd love to see. Boston's so over matched in their series but I'm sure they had blood on their mind for the hurt Montreal put on them all season. Maybe some wild, all out play.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Wings and Preds tonight. I tend to root for n00bs/underdogs.

Go Preds! (Sorry Pinky!)

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Anyone watching the Preds/Wings game?

Was that a friggin raw Octopus that someone threw on the ice? Holy cow. haha

MBTI Type
INTJ
Sure was. I thought they finally outlawed throwing octopi a few years ago. There was a bit of a brouhaha around it, too. I guess people are still finding ways to sneak them in.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Sure was. I thought they finally outlawed throwing octopi a few years ago. There was a bit of a brouhaha around it, too. I guess people are still finding ways to sneak them in.
lol. So apparently it's a tradition...

(I've only followed hockey the past year :()

MBTI Type
INTJ
lol. So apparently it's a tradition...

(I've only followed hockey the past year :()

It's a tradition in Detroit. Back in the beginning of the NHL, only four teams made the playoffs, so it took eight wins to win the Stanley Cup. Eight arms = eight wins, so the octopus became a symbol of winning the Stanley Cup in Detroit. It got out of hand when they were very good in the mid and late 90s, with octopi all over the ice, so they outlawed it. One of the Wings fans here might be able to explain how long ago it started, but I am pretty sure it was over 50 years ago.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
It's a tradition in Detroit. Back in the beginning of the NHL, only four teams made the playoffs, so it took eight wins to win the Stanley Cup. Eight arms = eight wins, so the octopus became a symbol of winning the Stanley Cup in Detroit. It got out of hand when they were very good in the mid and late 90s, with octopi all over the ice, so they outlawed it. One of the Wings fans here might be able to explain how long ago it started, but I am pretty sure it was over 50 years ago.
That's dope. Thanks for that bit of knowledge.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Ouch... 3 PP goals by Dallas on Anaheim. The Ducks shouldn't have trouble figuring out what to work on at their next practice (which may be sooner rather than later if they don't get their shit together) - 4 on 5.

Funny story (pathetic rather):
Tonight, watching the Stars/Ducks game, some cat comes into the room and starts talking about how he used to play hockey in high school and how he was pretty good and stuff. He said he'd get put in the penalty box a lot for "icing," because he liked to spray people with the ice... :doh: Ehh, I didn't call him on it but I hate when people make up stories for no good reason. He also said his favorite NHL team was the "Providence Bruins" when I asked him. :doh: x2

I need to print out 'Fail' pictures so I can just pull it out of my pocket at times like that, hold it up for a few seconds and then quietly put it back in my pocket and never say a word.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
The Stars are going to be tough to beat if they keep capitalizing on their chances like this. I don't know that this year's Ducks team has the same mojo as the 2006-07 team.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I'm frankly shocked. I thought the Ducks were a deserving champion last year and they were my pick to repeat. I haven't seen them beat down like that all season. Game 2 will show a lot about their fortitude.